Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which franchise single season record will be hardest to break?
Burrow and Chase breaking all these team records got me wondering if there’s any that will be really tough to take down.

Burrow obviously has the single season record for passing yards, TD’s, passer rating, etc now. And Chase just broke all the rookie receiving records, and is only 12 yards shy of breaking Chad’s single season record. Which he could easily do this week if he plays.

There’s Carl Pickens TD record of 17. Chase should have had about 3-4 more TD’s this season if not for some drops. So he would have been right there to maybe at least tie it as a rookie. This one is probably achievable, but certainly won’t be easy.

Then there’s TJ’s receptions record of 112. That one might be kind of tough, too.

Rudi Johnson’s rushing yards record of 1458 might be the safest of all though, imo. Mixon has never really got anywhere close to that (career high this season at 1205). But who knows what he could do behind a better OL.

*I’m excluding Coy Bacon’s unofficial sack record off 21.5. That one ain’t falling.

Delhta O’Neal’s INT record of 10 will be another tough one to break.

Any others that will be particularly hard to do that I’m forgetting?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Winning their first Super Bowl.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Eddie Brown's 24 ypc in 1988 I'm assuming is the franchise record. That will be very difficult to crack. As many big plays as Chase has produced, he's averaging "only" 18.1 ypc.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 07:24 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Eddie Brown's 24 ypc in 1988 I'm assuming is the franchise record. That will be very difficult to crack. As many big plays as Chase has produced, he's averaging "only" 18.1 ypc.

That will be nearly impossible to beat.

Reply/Quote
Mostly because Esiason's fakes were great. I've always wondered why they don't bring him in and teach Burrow that same skill (or any of the other QBs).
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I know it's not a season-long accumulated stat, but Corey Dillon's longest rush of 96 yards is going to be tough to top.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 10:28 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I know it's not a season-long accumulated stat, but Corey Dillon's longest rush of 96 yards is going to be tough to top.

One of the longest plays from scrimmage in NFL history.  I doubt that one is ever going anywhere!

Also, Rudi was and still is so underrated. He really could do it all. I'm sure someone will beat his records some day, but it's going to have to be a stud back behind a stud oline.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 07:24 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Eddie Brown's 24 ypc in 1988 I'm assuming is the franchise record.  That will be very difficult to crack.  As many big plays as Chase has produced, he's averaging "only" 18.1 ypc.

Went to look this up assuming it was gonna be on like 10 catches.

Nope. 53. That's a wild YPC on that many catches. I don't see how you beat that. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:12 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: Went to look this up assuming it was gonna be on like 10 catches.

Nope. 53. That's a wild YPC on that many catches. I don't see how you beat that. 

That is crazy when you really think about it. I was just a boy watching Brown play, but I was totally convinced he was on the same level as Jerry Rice. Brown still had an awesome career.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow and Chase breaking all these team records got me wondering if there’s any that will be really tough to take down.

Burrow obviously has the single season record for passing yards, TD’s, passer rating, etc now. And Chase just broke all the rookie receiving records, and is only 12 yards shy of breaking Chad’s single season record. Which he could easily do this week if he plays.

There’s Carl Pickens TD record of 17. Chase should have had about 3-4 more TD’s this season if not for some drops. So he would have been right there to maybe at least tie it as a rookie. This one is probably achievable, but certainly won’t be easy.

Then there’s TJ’s receptions record of 112. That one might be kind of tough, too.

Rudi Johnson’s rushing yards record of 1458 might be the safest of all though, imo. Mixon has never really got anywhere close to that (career high this season at 1205). But who knows what he could do behind a better OL.

*I’m excluding Coy Bacon’s unofficial sack record off 21.5. That one ain’t falling.

Delhta O’Neal’s INT record of 10 will be another tough one to break.

Any others that will be particularly hard to do that I’m forgetting?

Anything rushing related I think will be hard to break, as more and more teams are becoming pass-focused.
While Mixon has done well this year, it's primarily because of his volume of carries. He's tied for 31st in YPC among eligible players (28th if you remove Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Jalen Hurts). Studs like Jonathan Taylor and Nick Chubb are nearly 1.5 YPC higher than him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Delhta O’Neal’s INT record of 10 will be another tough one to break.

This one might be more difficult than it seems at first glance. 

INTs are not as common as they were in 2005, or before. Looks like 10 or more has only happened twice in the last 15 seasons. Xavien Howard had 10 in 2020 and Trevon Diggs currently has 11. 
LFG  

Reply/Quote
Merv press conference giggles in a single season.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:31 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: This one might be more difficult than it seems at first glance. 

INTs are not as common as they were in 2005, or before. Looks like 10 or more has only happened twice in the last 15 seasons. Xavien Howard had 10 in 2020 and Trevon Diggs currently has 11. 

True, but it seems like a bunch of the better QB’s threw a lot of them this year.

Brady - 12
Stafford - 15
Burrow - 14
Herbert - 14
Mahomes - 13
Carr - 14
Allen - 15
Prescott - 10

That seems unusually high compared to recent years. The only top QB that didn’t throw double digit picks this season is Rodgers.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:38 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Merv press conference giggles in a single season.

Someone needs to replace this with a Marvin face:

Hehe 
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: True, but it seems like a bunch of the better QB’s threw a lot of them this year.

Brady - 12
Stafford - 15
Burrow - 14
Herbert - 14
Mahomes - 13
Carr - 14
Allen - 15
Prescott - 10

That seems unusually high compared to recent years. The only top QB that didn’t throw double digit picks this season is Rodgers.

At least they aren't pulling a Jameis and throwing 30 of them. 

I think it seems high at first glance, but if you look at the overall stats and averages, it's pretty similar. There are a lot of players that have thrown 12-15, but there isn't a single one over 17. That has to be the lowest high INT mark in a while, right? 
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:45 AM)Chip Smallwood Wrote: At least they aren't pulling a Jameis and throwing 30 of them. 

I think it seems high at first glance, but if you look at the overall stats and averages, it's pretty similar. There are a lot of players that have thrown 12-15, but there isn't a single one over 17. That has to be the lowest high INT mark in a while, right? 

Sunshine still has one more game to add to that total. Tongue

Reply/Quote
Rudi's rushing record will be really tough. Teams are more passing oriented now and generally run a committee anyways. Cincinnati is using Mixon as a bell cow, so maybe he can but he seems to miss a game or two here and there that I think would prevent him from ever getting it.

Shayne Graham's 91.2% FG accuracy in 2007. Combine that with his PAT's and Graham's total accuracy of 95.7% on FGs and PATs will probably never be broken.
Reply/Quote
Carl Pickens with the 17 TD receptions will be tough. Especially with 2 guys like Chase and Higgins.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 10:28 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I know it's not a season-long accumulated stat, but Corey Dillon's longest rush of 96 yards is going to be tough to top.

I didn't know the receiving record, so I had to look it up. Billy Brooks with a 94 yard long pass. I thought it would be Darnay Scott's 88 yard pass.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 11:47 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Rudi's rushing record will be really tough. Teams are more passing oriented now and generally run a committee anyways. Cincinnati is using Mixon as a bell cow, so maybe he can but he seems to miss a game or two here and there that I think would prevent him from ever getting it.

Shayne Graham's 91.2% FG accuracy in 2007. Combine that with his PAT's and Graham's total accuracy of 95.7% on FGs and PATs will probably never be broken.

I think Evan can hit that.

He's kicked 3 bad balls all year and the rest of the misses have been unlucky or wind-ruined.

For those saying Mixon will have a tough time with rushing records, he did hit 13 TDs this year and Ickey hold the single season mark with 15, so if things had bounced a couple of different ways, he would've hit it this year.

The Pickens 17 TDs may be trickier than many think, even with Chase balling out and Burrow able to get the ball to his guys.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote