Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which position is best outside FA option for Bengals?
As we approach the inevitability that the Bengals will miss the playoffs and pick in the top half of the draft, everyone will have their opinion of who that first pick should be.
What hasn't been discussed much is what position(s) could the Bengals instead address in outside FA so they don't have to use as early of a draft pick?

Upcoming FAs at a particular position can be viewed at http://overthecap.com/free-agency/

I'm personally expecting it be at either OT or WR. And I don't think the Bengals spend more than $6 million on whichever FA they bring in unless they don't re-sign (at least) one of Whitworth, Zeitler, or Kirkpatrick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 05:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As we approach the inevitability that the Bengals will miss the playoffs and pick in the top half of the draft, everyone will have their opinion of who that first pick should be.
What hasn't been discussed much is what position(s) could the Bengals instead address in outside FA so they don't have to use as early of a draft pick?

Upcoming FAs at a particular position can be viewed at http://overthecap.com/free-agency/

I'm personally expecting it be at either OT or WR. And I don't think the Bengals spend more than $6 million on whichever FA they bring in unless they don't re-sign (at least) one of Whitworth, Zeitler, or Kirkpatrick.

Wr- they were willing to spend 8 million on Jones wouldn't be surprised if they spend that much on a WR this year. Guys I would be on the lookout for would be Michael Floyd and Kenny Stills.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
cool website to mess around on, thanks for sharing.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
At this point has Brandon Lafell played himself into "must resign" status?  The receiving threats still look mighty thin should one of Eifert or Green miss time(which isn't much of a stretch).
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 06:29 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: At this point has Brandon Lafell played himself into "must resign" status?  The receiving threats still look mighty thin should one of Eifert or Green miss time(which isn't much of a stretch).

I wouldn't say a must, but I'd be fine bringing him back. He doesn't stretch the field, but  he leads the team in receiving TD's, and has been pretty solid. 

The young guys looked good last game though. 

Reply/Quote
OT, preferably a RT. I don't think we can lean on Winston taking over for Cedric for another year. We need a younger guy with experience to take over if we plan on throwing Cedric out there again.

Id take a run at Byron Bell.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Looking at the list of free agents this year makes me somewhat ill. There aren't a bunch of guys that I would want to pay free agent money to come over here.

I would take a run at Nick Mangold if the Jets let him go.
Reply/Quote
I don't think this year will be much different than any other year in outside FA. The org will trumpet the need to shell out money to Whit, Dre, and Z. They probably won't spend the money on a guard. They will cry poor and point to all of the bad FA deals they made when some shitbag dumpster dive didn't turn into Jerry Rice or Lawrence Taylor after the Bengals paid them 2 mil to come in off the scrap heap. They won't cut fatty Maualuga and will probably bring back ineffective Peko, thus eating more cap with useless dead weight. They'll re-sign Hunt to a 3-year 12 million dollar deal. Then: BOOM! Hobson does his Hobson math, trots out the 7-year old Zimmer quotes about Hunt looking like JJ Watt and Peko being the best 4-3 NT in the league, and then it's done until we bring in Taylor Mays or Brandon Tate for workouts. If we're lucky, maybe we'll get Andre Smith back on the cheap to take over the Winston role.

In a fantasy world, I'd sign a run stuffing DT in FA to open up the draft. I loved the Billings pick as much as anyone, but don't see a guy that big playing all that well one year removed from major knee surgery. I'd target Jonathan Hankins or Brandon Williams.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2016, 11:15 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think this year will be much different than any other year in outside FA.  The org will trumpet the need to shell out money to Whit, Dre, and Z.  They probably won't spend the money on a guard.  They will cry poor and point to all of the bad FA deals they made when some shitbag dumpster dive didn't turn into Jerry Rice or Lawrence Taylor after the Bengals paid them 2 mil to come in off the scrap heap.  They won't cut fatty Maualuga and will probably bring back ineffective Peko, thus eating more cap with useless dead weight.  They'll re-sign Hunt to a 3-year 12 million dollar deal.  Then:  BOOM!  Hobson does his Hobson math, trots out the 7-year old Zimmer quotes about Hunt looking like JJ Watt and Peko being the best 4-3 NT in the league, and then it's done until we bring in Taylor Mays or Brandon Tate for workouts.  If we're lucky, maybe we'll get Andre Smith back on the cheap to take over the Winston role.  

In a fantasy world, I'd sign a run stuffing DT in FA to open up the draft.  I loved the Billings pick as much as anyone, but don't see a guy that big playing all that well one year removed from major knee surgery.  I'd target Jonathan Hankins or Brandon Williams.

I thought of something similar that is Bengal-esque, which was re-signing Whit, Dre, Z, Burkhead, and LaFell. The team would then bring back Andre Smith as a stop-gap RT on a two-year contract for $6 to 8 million. Smith would man the right side as a starter next year while Fisher continues to be groomed, then the two battle it out in 2018, which is a contract year for both of them. The Bengals media would make this seem like the savior signing to fix the horrid offensive line play this year since the only difference between 2015 and 2016 player-wise was Smith leaving.
The rest of the team will be filled with draft picks.

I would be really disappointed if Hunt is re-signed. He's seemed to have very little impact except block a couple kicks this year. If this team was not willing to hold onto Devon Still after three years, there's no way they can justify re-signing Hunt after four years.
Re-signing Peko is an interesting thought, but Sims is signed through next year and can be that veteran to mentor Billings. Sims has a contract of just $1 mill next year whereas Peko likely would cost at least triple that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
After going tackle heavy in the 2015 draft, I just don't like the idea of drafting another tackle...and honestly I don't think the Bengals will do that. I want to say we'll have a pick in the 12-14 range and that'd be a great spot for a WR. I'm not sure how the upcoming class looks, but I think WR should be a big consideration.

That said, a quality d-lineman would be nice. I don't think Marv has ever drafted a d-lineman in the first, but now would be a good time to start. We need an infusion of talent there. We also need fast LBs, so I wouldn't be against that if the right guy is there.

To sum it up, I'd find a tackle in FA. I'd use the first round of the draft on a d-lineman or WR. I'd also keep an eye out for athletic LBs in the first couple rounds.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There are few different good free agent right tackles out there I think Rick Wagner from the Ravens is a good option they need stability at the position and they have to pay this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 12:25 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: After going tackle heavy in the 2015 draft, I just don't like the idea of drafting another tackle...and honestly I don't think the Bengals will do that. I want to say we'll have a pick in the 12-14 range and that'd be a great spot for a WR. I'm not sure how the upcoming class looks, but I think WR should be a big consideration.

That said, a quality d-lineman would be nice. I don't think Marv has ever drafted a d-lineman in the first, but now would be a good time to start. We need an infusion of talent there. We also need fast LBs, so I wouldn't be against that if the right guy is there.

To sum it up, I'd find a tackle in FA. I'd use the first round of the draft on a d-lineman or WR. I'd also keep an eye out for athletic LBs in the first couple rounds.

You are so right in identifying the positions of need. It's the position a team finds itself in, when lack of success in certain previous drafts and weak use of free agency have prevailed. I really don't like drafting more tackles either, but to me neither of those 2015 OTs have worked out, if not as expected, then certainly not as needed. The sooner that mistake is corrected - the better. Going free agency for this would be my first choice, but use the draft if a FA can't be signed. The Oline is the foundation of the offense, and as we've seen, when it breaks down, so goes the rest of the offense. This should be their priority imho. Just don't half-ass it this time.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 04:14 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: You are so right in identifying the positions of need. It's the position a team finds itself in, when lack of success in certain previous drafts and weak use of free agency have prevailed. I really don't like drafting more tackles either, but to me neither of those 2015 OTs have worked out, if not as expected, then certainly not as needed. The sooner that mistake is corrected - the better. Going free agency for this would be my first choice, but use the draft if a FA can't be signed. The Oline is the foundation of the offense, and as we've seen, when it breaks down, so goes the rest of the offense. This should be their priority imho. Just don't half-ass it this time.

Yeah, I'm with you and Shake when it comes to drafting a tackle early.  I don't mind getting a guy in the middle rounds, but the early (1 and 2) picks should go to the defensive front seven, interior o-line, and offensive weapons.  Maybe even safety.  

I'd grab a vet tackle in FA as a stopgap.  Maybe Andre since they love bringing ex-Bengals back.  I'd get a mid to low range option that would be a slight upgrade over Winston.  Once that guy is on the roster, I try to roll with either Fisher or Ogbuehi (ugh) at RT until he shows that he just can't figure it out, then I plug in the vet and look to pull the plug on the experiment.  

As disappointing as the "2015 Two" (sounds like a good nickname to me, they are becoming infamous after all) have been, the team still needs to try to squeeze something out of them if possible.  If they could, it would keep that disastrous draft from setting the team back a couple of years on the o-line.  Give them every chance to succeed, but have a plan in place to keep them from blowing up the offense like Ogbuehi did this season.  Hell, give them looks at OG if possible.  Anything to make those picks less of a waste.  

God, I hate that draft.
Reply/Quote
sign Jamie Collins. He gives something this LB corp has been lacking for years -a LB who can cover both TEs and RBs as well as blitz. With him as coverage LB and Tez working the other side the D will have playmakers

I would also target Sheldon Richardson. His stock has fallen but he is an athletic DE ego can slide inside on passing downs.

Dump Mauluaga, Johnson, Rey, Peko and use the money to upgrade playmakers.
Reply/Quote
I think we draft safety Jamal Adams after that piss poor performance by Williams and Iioka.

We need to sign a DE in FA. There not much talent in the draft at DE this year.
Reply/Quote
I say LT in FA. Move Whitworth back to LG.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 09:11 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: sign Jamie Collins. He gives something this LB corp has been lacking for years  -a LB who can cover both TEs and RBs as well as blitz. With him as coverage LB and Tez working the other side the D will have playmakers

I would also target Sheldon Richardson. His stock has fallen but he is an athletic DE ego can slide inside on passing downs.

Dump Mauluaga, Johnson, Rey, Peko and use the money to upgrade playmakers.

Collins won't be a free agent. Cleveland has an insane amount of cap room available, so they can tag him at the very least.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I know I already chimed in, but the OL as a whole is so in flux that THIS is the year Cincy has to buck their trend and shell out for an outside FA.

Think about it, who is a long term pillar in their prime? They don't have one. If Zeitler is one, he's a UFA and may price himself out of Cincy. Mikey pays for tackles not guards.

I predict that today's game is a partial look at next year. Whit is still one of the best LT's in the game, but if they think LG could extend his career and that the two youngsters are true LT's then a move could make sense (mind you they won't pay for a stud LT). Boling slides to RG, Westerman and a mid round or cheap FA center compete....and they pay a premium for STABILITY at Right Tackle.

Paying a Free Agent RT also:

-literally protects the investments they've made to Andy and AJ
-frees you up to select from the glut of defensive talent with the 1st pick. Cam Robinson is the lone OL option that high, banking on him (even if he is BPA) is a bad idea as someone may swipe him.

Wish #1 is a coaching change, but wish #2 is paying a guy like Reiff or Wagner to solve their biggest problem.

We are under pressure and irritable as Bengal fans, we need a FA RT!
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 02:02 AM)J24 Wrote: Wr- they were willing to spend 8 million on Jones wouldn't be surprised if they spend that much on a WR this year. Guys I would be on the lookout for would be Michael Floyd and Kenny Stills.

Because he was a homegrown guy who has proven he could be successful in our system.

They aren't going to drop that much on an outsider that is a question mark as to how they can fit the system.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 04:14 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: You are so right in identifying the positions of need. It's the position a team finds itself in, when lack of success in certain previous drafts and weak use of free agency have prevailed. I really don't like drafting more tackles either, but to me neither of those 2015 OTs have worked out, if not as expected, then certainly not as needed. The sooner that mistake is corrected - the better. Going free agency for this would be my first choice, but use the draft if a FA can't be signed. The Oline is the foundation of the offense, and as we've seen, when it breaks down, so goes the rest of the offense. This should be their priority imho. Just don't half-ass it this time.

I think there's little doubt the O-line has to be addressed in the off season or we're in for another long season next year. Here's a copy and paste from the NFL website:

8. Cincinnati Bengals 

2016 record: 5-9-1 (.527) 
Top needs: C, LB, Edge 
Analysis: Cincinnati has to find a way to get its running game going, and that might mean looking for help on the interior offensive line. The Bengals could use some edge speed in order to challenge opposing tackles. Adding more athleticism at LB is a priority for the team.

And I agree, it starts at center. If we're going to make a serious run back to the playoffs we must go find a top shelf center. I agree though we also need a vet tackle in FA just for the in case's.

I wouldn't mind a top shelf LB as well like Zach Brown - Bills.

To sun it up I strongly feel to have any chance a couple upper tier FA's are a must. C, OT, LB, DE we need two of these four from the FA pool.

We all know the problem there though.
Reply/Quote