Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whit Wants To Retire A Bengal
A good read about why Whit left and where he stands with the Bengals...

Quote:Cedric Ogbuehi is still getting advice from Andrew Whitworth.

Andrew Whitworth, whose prodigious orange-and-black legacy as a peerless leader is that he has been to more postseasons than any Bengals offensive player in history, calls his family, “The Circus.”

With Whitworth and the former Miss Louisiana raising four children seven and younger that include the 2011 Lock Out Twins, maybe it’s fitting that Daddy is a Los Angeles Ram because “The Circus,” is now down the street from Disneyland.

“We knew it was going to be tough to leave Cincinnati,” said Whitworth Saturday afternoon as he drove around L.A., having, “No idea where I am.”

“We knew we wanted it to be a new situation. We didn’t want to be somewhere where there was a constant reminder of missing Cincinnati. To me it was like, go all the way out to L.A. and start over or stay in Cincinnati and take whatever you can get.”

He’s gone but he hasn’t left. His first two calls as a Ram on Thursday were to his successor at left tackle, Cedric Ogbuehi, and his bookend on the right, Jake Fisher, the first two picks in the 2015 draft that are now being asked to perform like it.

“Time to play,” Whitworth told them and he plans to help by sitting down in L.A. in a few days with Ogbuehi. He’s also already had a couple of heart-to-hearts with quarterback Andy Dalton and what it means for his expanding leadership and he told wide receiver A.J. Green he’s still there for him and is only a phone call away if he needs anything at all.  

“I hope Bengaldom understands,” Whitworth said. “I’ll still be in there pulling for the Bengals … I’m still pushing guys to be the best they can be, to be as successful as they can. I didn’t work that hard and that long not to see them have success.  I’m here, man.  I’m still that guy. I didn’t do it because they were on my team. I did it because of who I am. I believe in those guys.”

So even though old friend Mike Zimmer’s Vikings and the Rams were the two most aggressive teams of what was a seven-team derby, Minnesota (Bengals North) wasn’t an option. Neither were the Chargers or the Broncos, probably because they were in the AFC.

In his last eight seasons as a Bengal, Whitworth played in six post-season games.

“We were looking for some place where we could make a difference. A team that really wanted me badly,” Whitworth said. “Where I could do something cool like I did in Cincinnati and help turn a locker room around in the right direction … Melissa and I got married out here and we had a great time. Nine years this Tuesday. So there was a good connection. And some place where the family could have some sun and a big time.  An adventure.”

And so it was the sad-sack Rams, much worse than the Bengals when Whitworth arrived in the second round 11 years ago. Now after watching their long-time offensive captain depart after helping cultivate the most successful Bengals locker room in history, they are still hearing the up-beat pep talks.

“I will never forget when Carson Palmer left before the 2011 season and I was wondering what the heck was going to happen and we were sitting around looking at each other,” Whitworth said of a season the Bengals went 9-7 to begin a run of five straight postseasons.

“Everybody was picking us to 0-16. Somebody had to step up and get the locker room in the right direction and we came out and proved everyone wrong. I have no doubt of the character of the guys in there that somebody will do it and I’ll be old news. That’s always the case with any football player. I hope guys take control of that team and give Mr. Mike (Brown) what he deserves.”

Whitworth and the Bengals president have a deep regard for each other. They even negotiated his last contract here one-on-one two years ago. He plans to do it the Mike Brown way and write him a letter of thanks.

“I’m grateful and humbled by how much he has done for me, my wife, and our kids,” Whitworth said. “Just because you leave doesn’t mean you stop loving … After my career I’ll always consider myself a Bengal. I hope to come back and retire a Bengals and do it the right way.”

Whitworth doesn’t want to focus on the nuts-and-bolts of the negotiations. He said agent Pat Dye informed the Bengals of each offer he received and he’s not so sure he and Brown could have sat down in a room and got this one done. The Rams weighed in at three years with $13 million guaranteed in the first year of a $36 million deal.

The Bengals are hesitant at giving 35-year-old players multiple years. Even one year would have to be a cautious number. Whitworth’s mentality was it was his first crack ever at free agency and coming off two straight Pro Bowl seasons he doesn’t think he’s at the end.

Andrew Whitworth on Bengaldom: "Best memories of my life."

“We’re not mad, we’re not bitter,” Whitworth said. “It didn’t work out. You know what? For either side to not get the deal done there has to be a little thought in you that it was OK not to get it done. That’s just the nature of life. There had to be a little part of us that was OK to leave and a little part of them that it was OK if it didn’t work out. It doesn’t mean you don’t love each other. I love Mike to death. I think the world of him, I’m not mad at him.”

Whitworth leaves a franchise icon. With 168 games, only Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz (185) and four-time Pro Bowler Willie Anderson (181) played more at tackle.

When they went 0-8, Whitworth sparked the first victory of the year when he backed down Jacksonville’s eye-poking John Henderson with a monstrous bear hug as the crowd roared for Whitworth’s ejection. When they went 8-0, Dalton barely got touched in an MVP first half of the season. His three Pro Bowls matched the Bengals’ three division titles.

“Our 11 years here are the best memories of my life,” Whitworth said. “What we accomplished and to be a part of it is special.  The locker room and the guys, from top to bottom in the organization were great and I had nothing but great experiences and for that I’m thankful and extremely grateful. I feel I can honestly say walking away I gave them everything I had. I gave every part of me and my ability. I have to feel good about that.”

He’s left Cincy. But he and Bengaldom claim each other.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Grateful-Whit-takes-place-in-Bengaldom-annals/062f82c2-2860-4672-8df0-e0f2af263fc5
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:18 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: A good read about why Whit left and where he stands with the Bengals...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Grateful-Whit-takes-place-in-Bengaldom-annals/062f82c2-2860-4672-8df0-e0f2af263fc5

Very good read.  Thanks for posting
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:18 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: A good read about why Whit left and where he stands with the Bengals...

Great stuff. TY for sharing
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
That's cool and all but I am just tired of all the excuses made by this organization. They failed big time and everyone knows it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
After reading this from Whit and that he's still willing to help Ced and the franchise makes me want to buy a Whit jersey.

A true class act and a Bengals legend.
Reply/Quote
Somehow I have a feeling the Rams will cut him when they realize that they don't have a brazilian dollars to spend every year. 
Wait, how many is a Brazilian? 
We need to go to the Rams message boards and keep telling them what a horrible signing he was.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What a great man, thanks for this Cage.

Whit is definately a Bengal Brother. I always will be a Bengal fan but i have to root for the Rams and the Vikes now.

Love how he made sure to go somewhere where he didn't have to battle us.

I see now why he picked the Rams, at first it was a big surprise, but i understand now. Family is everything to this guy.

Thanks again.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:44 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: After reading this from Whit and that he's still willing to help Ced and the franchise makes me want to buy a Whit jersey.

A true class act and a Bengals legend.

Yeah, i was wanting to get a Billings jersey next but i pry oughta get a big 77 first now that he is in LA.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What a great man, thanks for this Cage.

Whit is definately a Bengal Brother. I always will be a Bengal fan but i have to root for the Rams and the Vikes now.

Love how he made sure to go somewhere where he didn't have to battle us.

I see now why he picked the Rams, at first it was a big surprise, but i understand now. Family is everything to this guy.

Thanks again.

Rock On

What if the Rams and Bengals meet in the Super Bowl?

Oh that's right.... They both suck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 02:22 PM)jason Wrote: What if the Rams and Bengals meet in the Super Bowl?

Oh that's right.... They both suck.

Both have good Defenses.

The problem is the coaching and the Offense for both teams.
Reply/Quote
If you are a Rams fan do you want to hear that your new starting tackle is helping his old team get better? Just a thought.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The good ol break up letter. Best of luck Whit
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 02:32 PM)El guapo Wrote: If you are a Rams fan do you want to hear that your new starting tackle is helping his old team get better? Just a thought.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

It is understandable and you just thank God they are in a different conference.
Reply/Quote
I'm still hoping he replaces PA someday.....soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm still hoping he replaces PA someday.....soon.

I could see Whit coaching. Hopefully for our team.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I'm still hoping he replaces PA someday.....soon.

(03-12-2017, 03:25 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I could see Whit coaching. Hopefully for our team.

Same here, his heart is in Cincy. Dude is smart, would make a great OL coach.
Reply/Quote

Whit's a class guy. Mike Brown, not so much.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Somehow I have a feeling the Rams will cut him when they realize that they don't have a brazilian dollars to spend every year. 
Wait, how many is a Brazilian? 
We need to go to the Rams message boards and keep telling them what a horrible signing he was.. 

Actually, I think you mean bazzillion. A Brazilian is something else entirely. Sort of a haircut might be one way to look at it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 03:51 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Actually, I think you mean bazzillion. A Brazilian is something else entirely. Sort of a haircut might be one way to look at it.

Gramps is amusing, i will give him that.
Reply/Quote
"To me it was like, go all the way out to L.A. and start over or stay in Cincinnati and take whatever you can get.”
Reply/Quote