Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whit gets an extnsion
Good move... What do you think ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1 year - 9 million...sounds good to me. I'd like for him to be here longer than that, but I'll take what I can get.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 09:57 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: 1 year - 9 million...sounds good to me.  I'd like for him to be here longer than that, but I'll take what I can get.

Agree, would rather have seen him extended for 2-3 years.  Perhaps he's beginning to think about retirement?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13742719/andrew-whitworth-cincinnati-bengals-signs-1-year-contract-extension
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:00 AM)kdgjr Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13742719/andrew-whitworth-cincinnati-bengals-signs-1-year-contract-extension

Per the article he will be a second round pick in next years draft
Reply/Quote
Great move.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:15 AM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Per the article he will be a second round pick in next years draft

LOL. Yeah, I just saw that. Sweet, he'll have fresh legs.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:15 AM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Per the article he will be a second round pick in next years draft

Actually he already was selected in next year's draft. 

The fact that he will be here next year is really great news.
Reply/Quote
Hell yes. He's the backbone of this team.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:28 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Great move.

He's fine wine--keeps getting better with age.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:15 AM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Per the article he will be a second round pick in next years draft
Even that writer on the official team site wasn't this sloppy.
Great move by front office. Hope Whit can eventually retire a Bengal when that time comes.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 10:49 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: Even that writer on the official team site wasn't this sloppy.
Great move by front office. Hope Whit can eventually retire a Bengal when that time comes.

With the shape Big Whit is in I'd just keep extending him yearly until he himself is done or is no longer productive - which for a guy that dedicated to keeping himself together could be another 5 years.
Reply/Quote
Good, now he can shut up about it. Fwiw, he made a reference to it just last week on the radio, when he was on 700.

Big Whit has been in the league long enough to 1.) Know it's a business and 2.) Drafting eventual replacements, as was done with him, is part of the game. Sorry, but for a purported intelligent guy and veteran of the league, I don't think his handling of this situation has been the most professional approach. Although he has struck me as kind of douchey for quite some time.

I'm glad we've got him another year. But I'm even more glad they didn't sign him any longer than that. 9 million for a 33 year old LT is a lot of beans. Good sensible extension though. Length is key.
Reply/Quote
By the way, does anyone know if this is a first for an in-season extension? I could be wrong, but I think it may be. Pretty sure the club had a long standing "no in-season negotiations" stance.

If so, love to hear it. Anything that shows Mike moving away from dated or stubborn logic is nice to see. Making a move in-season to work a sensible and needed extension trumps old policy.
Reply/Quote
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I figured this would happen at some point. Just didn't see the Bengals going into next with Og and Fisher as the starting OTs.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 09:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, would rather have seen him extended for 2-3 years.  Perhaps he's beginning to think about retirement?

Same here. Are there cap reasons for why they'd only give him a one year deal? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Since nobody knows how Og and Fisher will pan out it's great to keep him with the team. Adding depth in the early rounds is not a bad thing especially when it's the job of OT...Tweets not withstanding.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 09:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agree, would rather have seen him extended for 2-3 years.  Perhaps he's beginning to think about retirement?

I doubt that he's thinking about retirement.  I think it's more likely that the Bengals will move on without him and he'll play a year or two elsewhere.  

I could be wrong though.  After all, I didn't even think they'd bring him back for 2016.  What a pleasant surprise...
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 11:13 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: By the way, does anyone know if this is a first for an in-season extension?  I could be wrong, but I think it may be.  Pretty sure the club had a long standing "no in-season negotiations" stance.

If so, love to hear it.  Anything that shows Mike moving away from dated or stubborn logic is nice to see.  Making a move in-season to work a sensible and needed extension trumps old policy.
Not sure why people always say that.  The biggest deal we ever did, Carson Palmer's extension,  was during the season.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2015, 11:28 AM)Shady Wrote: Same here. Are there cap reasons for why they'd only give him a one year deal? 

Could be a possibility when you consider the number of guys we still need to re-sign.
Reply/Quote