Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
White Privilege?
(01-18-2019, 06:21 PM)Dill Wrote: I think the host was a she. The guy on the phone was black.  She apologized or at least admitted a mistake in assuming he was white and therefore a beneficiary of white privilege.

I can only go by the link I posted and it calls Webb the show's host.

So she apologized because she accused a Black man of white privilege. She must know it's a term used as a slur. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-18-2019, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only go by the link I posted and it calls Webb the show's host.

So she apologized because she accused a Black man of white privilege. She must know it's a term used as a slur. 

I don't think it's a slur. I just think it's hard to accuse a black man of benefiting from white privilege.
Nothing wrong with being black, but its a big mistake if I claim you got a promotion only because you are black--and you are not.

Webb is the host of a Sirius radio show.  He was on the phone to Areva martin, a black female CNN host.

Your link just reports and offers a recording of their exchange. She was on tv when she did this.
You could see Martin at first, but not Webb, as they conversed by telephone.
(01-18-2019, 06:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can only go by the link I posted and it calls Webb the show's host.

Or she realized the person was not helped by white privilege so she apologized for being wrong.

Being wrong and admitting it is a hard concept for some but it doesn't mean that the concept is wrong...just applied incorrectly this time.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-18-2019, 07:01 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't think it's a slur. I just think it's hard to accuse a black man of benefiting from white privilege.  
Nothing wrong with being black, but its a big mistake if I claim you got a promotion only because you are black--and you are not.

Webb is the host of a Sirius radio show.  He was on the phone to Areva martin, a black female CNN host.

Your link just reports and offers a recording of their exchange. She was on tv when she did this.
You could see Martin at first, but not Webb, as they conversed by telephone.

Quote:The segment aired Tuesday during a SiriusXM show hosted by David Webb, who is also host FOX Nation’s Reality Check. His guest during the segment was Areva Martin, a civil rights attorney and CNN legal analyst.

Then why did she apologize if it was not meant to degrade? Would she have apologized if he were white and listed the same credentials? 

GMDino Wrote:Or she realized the person was not helped by white privilege so she apologized for being wrong.

Would she have been wrong of accusing him of benefiting from White Privilege if he were white; after he listed his credentials?

(01-18-2019, 07:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or she realized the person was not helped by white privilege so she apologized for being wrong.

Being wrong and admitting it is a hard concept for some but it doesn't mean that the concept is wrong...just applied incorrectly this time.

Maybe instead of admitting you were wrong, especially as she clearly was, she shouldn't assume a man got to where he is simply by being white.  In short, maybe she should stop making bigoted assumptions about people.  
(01-18-2019, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Would she have been wrong of accusing him of benefiting from White Privilege if he were white; after he listed his credentials?

Yes.  It is very difficult to identify the specific individual effects of white privilege based solely on career achievement.  It can be proven to be systematic, but difficult to apply to individuals.

It is like someone claiming that smoking does not contribute to heart or lung disease when someone who never smoked gets heart or lung disease.  It is wrong to assume a person is a smoker just because they have lung cancer, but that does not prove that smoking does not effect the rate of lung cancer.
(01-21-2019, 01:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Maybe instead of admitting you were wrong, especially as she clearly was, she shouldn't assume a man got to where he is simply by being white.  In short, maybe she should stop making bigoted assumptions about people.  

Maybe.

Maybe she was saying that white people have a leg up (privilege) and that it helps them whether they accept it or not.

But she admitted she was wrong so now we can say there is no white privilege because the announcer wasn't white.  Yay.
(01-21-2019, 02:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe.

Maybe she was saying that white people have a leg up (privilege) and that it helps them whether they accept it or not.

But she admitted she was wrong so now we can say there is no white privilege because the announcer wasn't white.  Yay.

She was wrong not because the man she was talking to was black, but because she made the bigoted assumption that a man could only get where he was in life because he had a racial advantage.  When your knee jerk response is racism you're saying a lot more about yourself than anyone else.
(01-21-2019, 02:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: She was wrong not because the man she was talking to was black, but because she made the bigoted assumption that a man could only get where he was in life because he had a racial advantage.  When your knee jerk response is racism you're saying a lot more about yourself than anyone else.

Exactly.  I have always argued that many racial stereotypes are true, but it is "racist" to judge an individual based on a racial stereotype.
(01-21-2019, 02:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: She was wrong not because the man she was talking to was black, but because she made the bigoted assumption that a man could only get where he was in life because he had a racial advantage.  When your knee jerk response is racism you're saying a lot more about yourself than anyone else.

What about when the response is "bigoted"?  Asking for a friend.  Mellow
(01-21-2019, 02:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: What about when the response is "bigoted"?  Asking for a friend.  Mellow

For your friend

bigot
 noun

big·ot | \ ˈbi-gət [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=b&file=bigot001][/url] \
Definition of bigot

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudicesespecially one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Here assumption that this person got where they are simply because of their skin color is the exact definition of bigoted. You might want to look for brighter friends. 

(01-21-2019, 02:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For your friend

bigot
 noun

big·ot | \ ˈbi-gət [url=https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot?pronunciation&lang=en_us&dir=b&file=bigot001][/url] \
Definition of bigot

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudicesespecially one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Here assumption that this person got where they are simply because of their skin color is the exact definition of bigoted. You might want to look for brighter friends. 

Oh! So it was done with hatred and intolerance.  Mellow  Of course.

I have to add to my list of "bigoted" people now.  Thanks!
(01-21-2019, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  I have always argued that many racial stereotypes are true, but it is "racist" to judge an individual based on a racial stereotype.

I agree with you on this....exactly my thoughts also.
(01-18-2019, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Then why did she apologize if it was not meant to degrade? Would she have apologized if he were white and listed the same credentials? 

Would she have been wrong of accusing him of benefiting from White Privilege if he were white; after he listed his credentials?

She apologized because she made a mistake.  If she assumed he was white and he was white, I am pretty sure she would not have apologized for assuming he was.

If he were white, she would not have been wrong in assuming he benefited from white privilege.

Why would "credentials" mean a white guy doesn't benefit from white privilege?
(01-22-2019, 04:28 PM)Dill Wrote: She apologized because she made a mistake.  If she assumed he was white and he was white, I am pretty sure she would not have apologized for assuming he was.

If he were white, she would not have been wrong in assuming he benefited from white privilege.

Why would "credentials" mean a white guy doesn't benefit from white privilege?

Because she slurred the guy if he were with. She made the assertion that he got where he was in live simply by the color of his skin. She immediately dismisses his credentials. AKA she is intolerant.

Hell even fred gets it and he's MR White privilege.

(01-22-2019, 05:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because she slurred the guy if he were with. She made the assertion that he got where he was in live simply by the color of his skin. She immediately dismisses his credentials. AKA she is intolerant.

Hell even fred gets it and he's MR White privilege.

My first concern here is with two questions.  Is the concept of "white privilege" conceptually clear and rigorous enough that it could usefully define some important social/historical aspect of race relations otherwise overlooked, and then allow us to accumulate data and otherwise use it as a productive research tool?

The second question is whether it actually refers to something, the thing/phenomenon it purports to describe, existing past or present?  This would have to be established by research, not Fred's vote. 

At the moment, I would say the answer to both these questions is "yes," but I am open to persuasion if someone disputes these points in a rational, evidence based fashion.

Those points made, I don't think Martin said Webb got where he was "simply" by the color of his skin. If she does understand what "white privilege" means, she could only be asserting it was one factor among others, that credentials weren't the only reason for his success; he had an advantage blacks don't have.  (Not all black people do understand the concept of white privilege. They can misunderstand too.) I don't see intolerance here. 

I think there is certainly such a thing as "male privilege."  If, in speaking over the phone to a woman who has a husky voice, I assume she is man and so likely a beneficiary of male privilege, that would be a mistake, not a "slur."  I would not be intolerant of males or women or whatever.  Just a guy who made a mistake.  
(01-23-2019, 11:43 PM)Dill Wrote: I think there is certainly such a thing as "male privilege." 

No there isn't. Women control everything.