Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
White people triggered over Netflix!
If it wasn't so funny it would be so sad...

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/dear-white-people-sparks-calls-for-netflix-boycott-35440153.html

Quote:'Dear White People' sparks calls for Netflix boycott

[Image: dwp.jpg]1Netflix: Dear White People
Netflix shared the trailer for its new comedy series Dear White People and some people aren't pleased.

With the announcement that Netflix is set to stream the TV adaptation of the 2014 film Dear White People, some people have cancelled their subscription and are venting their anger on Twitter with the hashtag #BoycottNetflix.

The 10-episode adaptation is based on the 2014 crowd-funded movie of the same name.

Set in a predominantly white Ivy League college, the series focuses on a series of racially insensitive parties that spark tensions on campus and inspire one of the characters to become more direct in her critiques of the school's white student population.

The premise of the show isn't anti-White. It's meant to be provocatively tongue-in-cheek and uncomfortably funny. In fact, the series is hoping to bridge racial divides by highlighting racial tensions that are generally ignored.

But it all kicked off on Twitter when Tim Treadstone, a former Buzzfeed writer who has since become an outspoken member of the so-called alt-right Twitter mob under his @BakedAlaska handle, argued that Dear White People was promoting "white genocide" and encouraged his followers to cancel their Netflix subscriptions in protest.

Director Justin Simien has responded to the backlash on Facebook: "When the first trailer for the film dropped, I'll admit the deluge of claims that I was a reverse racist and a 'piece of [expletive] monkey that should shut up and go back to Africa' really hurt," Simien wrote.

"But now, I feel strangely encouraged. To see the sheer threat that people feel over a date announcement video featuring a woman of color (politely) asking not to be mocked makes it so clear why I made this show."

View image on Twitter
[Image: C4LyOxQUYAArL2D.jpg:small]

Quote:[/url]HesOurPresident ?? @ktrav123
Promote racism and white genocide & you get dropped. #dearwhitepeople #nonetflix #boycottNetflix #alllivesmatter
7:46 PM - 8 Feb 2017

Quote:Wife With A Purpose @apurposefulwife
Dear #Netflix,
Here's a list of acceptable ways to be racist against whites
-
-
-
End list 

I've canceled my account re: #DearWhitePeople
9:09 PM - 8 Feb 2017

View image on Twitter
[Image: C4OlfFiUcAAjEbl.jpg]

Quote:Deplorable Matt?? @82ndPatriot
Hey @netflix what's this crap. Maybe 91k dislikes should tell ya! Going to cancel my subscription! #BoycottNetflix and there racists ways!
8:49 AM - 9 Feb 2017

Quote:David Cubbage @jdcubbage
I have cancelled my #Netflix account because of their show #dearwhitepeople and support #BoycottNetflix
8:37 AM - 9 Feb 2017

View image on Twitter
[Image: C4QWJcQUcAAQYcV.jpg:small]

Quote:Trump Rebuilds USA @Corporatocrazy
I cancelled my Netflix today. [Image: 1f4a5.png] Who's with me? #DearWhitePeople #BoycottNetflix#Soros #Trump #tcot
5:01 PM - 9 Feb 2017

[Image: C4LHTqKWYAgFxL2.jpg]

Quote:Brittany James @bitty_boop
The same people who call liberals snowflakes started #BoycottNetflix because of "Dear White People." Oh the irony.
4:39 PM - 8 Feb 2017

Quote:Mark Waters @PansFolley
#BoycottNetflix Was thinking of renewing my sub, but after new show #DearWhitePeople HELL NO! I'll keep my money!
7:29 AM - 10 Feb 2017

Quote:Pumpkinstench @Fonzie2001
Well Netflix was fun while it lasted. I'm done with them after this disgusting trailer Dear White People #BoycottNetflix
6:03 AM - 10 Feb 2017

Quote:The_Fifth_Estate @FifthEstateUSA
@netflix remove your racist (anti-Caucasian) garbage. We do not want to pay for that as part of the subscription. #BoycottNetflix
5:49 AM - 10 Feb 2017
  • [url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=830005830225235968]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
i thought the 'white people are evil elitists' genre was already saturated.

I'm a fan of free speech. And art. But if the directors goal was to bridge any kind of racial divide by making people feel uncomfortable, he's late to the table . Right now, I reckon people of different races feel more uncomfortable than at any time over the last 30-40 years. And that's on both sides. I've talked to minorities who say they feel like they're not supposed to engage white people any more, and white people who feel like they are supposed to elevate someone just because they're a different race. It makes both pretty uncomfortable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Cancelling your service is a sad; yet, funny way to express your displeasure with programming? Do you recommend they go down to Netflix HQ, riot, cause property damange, and threaten the public safety?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-11-2017, 11:28 AM)Benton Wrote: i thought the 'white people are evil elitists' genre was already saturated.

I'm a fan of free speech. And art. But if the directors goal was to bridge any kind of racial divide by making people feel uncomfortable, he's late to the table . Right now, I reckon people of different races feel more uncomfortable than at any time over the last 30-40 years. And that's on both sides. I've talked to minorities who say they feel like they're not supposed to engage white people any more, and white people who feel like they are supposed to elevate someone just because they're a different race. It makes both pretty uncomfortable.

I'd like to say that matters to me, but it doesn't.

If just making this series from a three year old movie has upset a bunch of racists I'm all for it.  

Not because it causes any kind of greater divide.  No sir.  But because it shows people are on both sides of the divide (but near it) all the whack jobs who are running away from it screaming.  Both sides.

If a black tells someone that can never trust white people and to attack them....they need called out on that too.

The people who don't understand that we can just treat each other as equals and hate each other for real reasons other than skin tone deserve to be upset.

It's a comedy series.  On Netflix.

If Presidential policy doesn't upset people this shouldn't either.   ThumbsUp
(02-11-2017, 11:28 AM)Benton Wrote: i thought the 'white people are evil elitists' genre was already saturated.

You're not kidding, brother.
I'm doing my part though.
I'm in Akron, OH this weekend and I'm going out of my way to be friendly to people.
A sad thing is that many minorities are doing an astounded double-take, just when I offer a friendly smile.
Now, I understand being 6' & 300lbs doesn't make me immediately approachable, but it's ridiculous that most of these people never even make eye contact.
I think the African-American women think I'm hitting on them, because they warm waaay up....lol
I met a couple of Pakistani fellows at the grocery.
They were probably the most genuine, kind-hearted people I've ever met.
So, I'm working to breach this divide that has widened.
We all need to.
(02-11-2017, 12:15 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: You're not kidding, brother.
I'm doing my part though.
I'm in Akron, OH this weekend and I'm going out of my way to be friendly to people.
A sad thing is that many minorities are doing an astounded double-take, just when I offer a friendly smile.
Now, I understand being 6' & 300lbs doesn't make me immediately approachable, but it's ridiculous that most of these people never even make eye contact.
I think the African-American women think I'm hitting on them, because they warm waaay up....lol
I met a couple of Pakistani fellows at the grocery.
They were probably the most genuine, kind-hearted people I've ever met.
So, I'm working to breach this divide that has widened.
We all need to.

Agreed!

But that also includes being able to laugh at the worst of the worst.

This is why I always stop to read a post of yours.  This could not be more accurate.  In my office I'm one of two white people, the other being a woman.  We all talk about this subject all the time.  Maybe it's the nature of our job that racial differences don't mean much, if anything, to us and we're actually able to discuss the subject with humor and without rancor.  I've raised this point before, but if you replace "white" with any other ethnicity" does your statement, title, whatever, sound racist.  If it does then it was racist to begin with.

(02-11-2017, 11:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'd like to say that matters to me, but it doesn't.

That is why you fail.  It's also why the Democratic party failed.

Quote:If just making this series from a three year old movie has upset a bunch of racists I'm all for it.  

Yes, if the title of this show upsets you it can only be because you're a racist.  This, again, is why the Democratic party fails.  People are sick of being told they're racist because they have a different opinion.

Quote:Not because it causes any kind of greater divide.  No sir.  But because it shows people are on both sides of the divide (but near it) all the whack jobs who are running away from it screaming.  Both sides.

If a black tells someone that can never trust white people and to attack them....they need called out on that too.

Let me know when that starts happening.

Quote:The people who don't understand that we can just treat each other as equals and hate each other for real reasons other than skin tone deserve to be upset.

It's a comedy series.  On Netflix.

If Presidential policy doesn't upset people this shouldn't either.   ThumbsUp

I don't give a shot about this show but you're no more entitled to tell someone they can't be annoyed or upset by it then anyone else could be telling someone they can't be annoyed by a Milo speech or Rush Limbaugh.  
I guess the only thing that bothers me with this is that we still havent reached the point in society where things are fair and balanced. What I mean is that is politically correct to make a movie and series, even though it is a satirical comedy directly aimed at 'White People'. However if a white director with primarily white actors did a show called 'Dear Black People', or 'Dear Latino People' etc, and tried to mimic the similar tones so to speak towards the black or latino community, the backlash would be much more swift and harsh by the left and groups like BLM. And this would be instantly deemed politically incorrect, even if it was a satirical comedy.

Now a tad bit off topic, but MTV did a commercial couple of months ago called '2017 Resolutions for White Guys'. Here is the link to h3h3's reaction to it. He and his wife Hila are both Jewish, and one of the more popular Utubers out there. He also voted for Hillary but was a Bernie guy. His reaction to it is kind of how I feel overall, and pretty funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IewlAi7dA&list=PLjrhosP-Fp_qleAhpQhvJJS-yzik4lK6A&index=11&t=491s
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(02-11-2017, 01:51 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I guess the only thing that bothers me with this is that we still havent reached the point in society where things are fair and balanced. What I mean is that is politically correct to make a movie and series, even though it is a satirical comedy directly aimed at 'White People'. However if a white director with primarily white actors did a show called 'Dear Black People', or 'Dear Latino People' etc, and tried to mimic the similar tones so to speak towards the black or latino community, the backlash would be much more swift and harsh by the left and groups like BLM. And this would be instantly deemed politically incorrect, even if it was a satirical comedy.

Now a tad bit off topic, but MTV did a commercial couple of months ago called '2017 Resolutions for White Guys'. Here is the link to h3h3's reaction to it. He and his wife Hila are both Jewish, and one of the more popular Utubers out there. He also voted for Hillary but was a Bernie guy. His reaction to it is kind of how I feel overall, and pretty funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1IewlAi7dA&list=PLjrhosP-Fp_qleAhpQhvJJS-yzik4lK6A&index=11&t=491s

A friend on FB basically said the same as you.

And I told him I'd feel the same way if they want to boycott a place they have to pay to watch anyway.

Also it's not like movies aren't made that show black people in a negative or stereotypical way.  Some by black artists.

I, personally, just get a kick out of the crying by people who accuse the other side of crying about everything.   Smirk
I suppose people could protest the old-fashioned way: By just not watching something they think they are going to find offensive. When enough people do it, the ratings fail and the show is cancelled. The network is then "once bitten, twice shy" the next time a similar show proposal comes along. That has generally worked in the past and is in-line with free and fair market practices.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of boycotts to begin with.

Or how about another show called, "Dear Black People". Combined with the other show, this could be viewed as an effort to reach out over racial divides I suppose.

I'm not a big fan of this whole 'racial divide' concept anyway.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-11-2017, 03:55 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I suppose people could protest the old-fashioned way: By just not watching something they think they are going to find offensive. When enough people do it, the ratings fail and the show is cancelled. The network is then "once bitten, twice shy" the next time a similar show proposal comes along. That has generally worked in the past and is in-line with free and fair market practices.

Not sure Netflix works the way you are describing. 

I don't have a financial interest in the success and growth of Netflix so I don't care how many bad business decisions they make.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(02-11-2017, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure Netflix works the way you are describing. 
I dont know how they track things, but I imagine they have a way of knowing how many people watch a show. When its one they're paying to produce, I'm sure they're more interested in knowing who is watching.

they've gotten enough views of stranger things to warrant a super bowl commercial. I haven't seen them advertising their one day at a time remake.
(02-11-2017, 05:31 PM)Benton Wrote: I dont know how they track things, but I imagine they have a way of knowing how many people watch a show. When its one they're paying to produce, I'm sure they're more interested in knowing who is watching.

they've gotten enough views of stranger things to warrant a super bowl commercial. I haven't seen them advertising their one day at a time remake.

FWIW

https://qz.com/205346/not-even-those-who-run-netflix-shows-know-how-popular-they-really-are/

Quote:Now, it turns out, not even the people behind the streaming service’s most successful (well, at least we think they’re the most successful) series, like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, have any idea how many people actually watch their programming.
Quote:“It’s like, ‘I’m a hit —I think,’” Orange is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan told The Hollywood Reporter. The lack of viewership metrics from Netflix “makes it hard to negotiate later,” she says, referring to the standing industry practice in which the stars and producers of hits shows leverage ratings success for significant raises in a show’s third or fourth season.

(02-11-2017, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure Netflix works the way you are describing. 

They keep track of how many people stream every show.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-11-2017, 07:37 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: They keep track of how many people stream every show.

Okey Doke

Okay.

But is The Punisher series still coming?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
A friend of mine sent me this link, I think this guy does a good job of rationally addressing this whole issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt_tUnf6T2E
Dear white girls,

Why are you always barefoot outside of bars when they close. Is it a sign of your privilege?
(02-12-2017, 09:11 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Dear white girls,

Why are you always barefoot outside of bars when they close. Is it a sign of your privilege?
They are waiting to be impregnated and shown where the kitchen is.
Ninja