Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitworth Gone Next Season.
(07-29-2015, 07:46 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: (This post was inspired by Juicy talking about how the rollover strategy would save some money for contracts for guys like Whit.)

So I've seen a lot of members on here post about having Whit next season/having Whit for along period of time/what to do with the OT situation.

I'm sitting here remembering a twitter rant Mr. Whitworth had where he stated that ownership told him that he would not be with the team following this season.
So is there any confusion?

Big Whit will be gone after this season... I don't see Mike Brown or anyone else going back on what they told Whit just because he went on a twitter rant.

This is no attack on Whit's character or physical ability. He is still argueably a top 5 LT in the game, but shouldn't we take what we heard on twitter to be true?

I feel like there is some notion on these boards that he will be back following this season, but I don't see it happening, even if I would like it to.

Could you find the source and give it to us on the Whittworth twitter rant?

My memory is different, but I may be wrong. I recollect him being upset as he wanted a new contract as he will be a FA next year. He was then upset when they drafted 2 OT's in 2015, yet I never remember he or anyone stating MB said he was gone after 2015. I am also skeptical him ever MB said that as common sense tells me that would be extremely dumb and not motivational to tell a player under contract for another year until the 2015 season is over. 

I still see Whitt retiring a Bengal as long as he plays well in 2015. If he does not, then MB and ML should cut him due to performance and age. But as of now, he is coming of a very good 2014 so I highly doubt MB told him was gone. I think you are reading into Whitt's comments of feeling he may be gone due to recent events (when he ranted after the draft).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 10:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Could you find the source and give it to us on the Whittworth twitter rant?

My memory is different, but I may be wrong. I recollect him being upset as he wanted a new contract as he will be a FA next year. He was then upset when they drafted 2 OT's in 2015, yet I never remember he or anyone stating MB said he was gone after 2015. I am also skeptical him ever MB said that as common sense tells me that would be extremely dumb and not motivational to tell a player under contract for another year until the 2015 season is over. 

I still see Whitt retiring a Bengal as long as he plays well in 2015. If he does not, then MB and ML should cut him due to performance and age. But as of now, he is coming of a very good 2014 so I highly doubt MB told him was gone. I think you are reading into Whitt's comments of feeling he may be gone due to recent events (when he ranted after the draft).

I'd start with http://www.google.com and a few different articles about it pop up.

Basically, Whit tweeted that MB told him that it was his last year on the team. People freaked out about it. Whit deleted his Twitter account. Got back on and claimed that it was his wife making a joke to teammates.

Long story short, it absolutely happened, but it just depends on which side you really believe. Is it yet another athlete covering up something stupid they brought public? Or is it just a terrible version of a joke from Whit and/or his wife?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 10:29 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Long story short, it absolutely happened, but it just depends on which side you really believe. Is it yet another athlete covering up something stupid they brought public? Or is it just a terrible version of a joke from Whit and/or his wife?

I don't know what really happened, but why would Whit lie about what MB told him?  I don't see any need to cover up something that is true.  If MB told him that it was his last year as a Bengal then there is no need for Whit to lie about
that.

I also doubt MB would tell Whit this because what if neither of the young guys looks any good and then they have to re-sign Whit?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what really happened, but why would Whit lie about what MB told him?  I don't see any need to cover up something that is true.  If MB told him that it was his last year as a Bengal then there is no need for Whit to lie about
that.

I also doubt MB would tell Whit this because what if neither of the young guys looks any good and then they have to re-sign Whit?

I meant "cover up" as in realized he shouldn't have brought it public (IF MB said it) and didn't want it to cause a shitstorm. Or if the team asked him to delete it and play it off as a joke and he did so. Or Whit could have overexaggerated a conversation he had with MB and then decided to not go further with it. I don't know, just throwing out the possibilities.

I also don't know if MB would tell Whit exactly that either, but as I brought up before, he could have made a comment that Whit didn't like and it got exaggerated and turned into the short lived mess that it did.

I don't know what really happened either, we can only go off of our own opinions by looking at the facts that surround the situation. There is a lot of room for guessing here, I have a hunch that it's not as simple as "My wife decided to randomly make a 'joke' about something controversial even though we've never done anything like this before", but again, I could be wrong and over thinking it.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what really happened, but why would Whit lie about what MB told him?  I don't see any need to cover up something that is true.  If MB told him that it was his last year as a Bengal then there is no need for Whit to lie about
that.

We are all human. We all misinterpret things said.

I am not doubting Whitt felt he MB said he was gone, but my common sense tells me it is more likely a huge misunderstanding and Whitt reacting to two guys being drafted (that was when he blew up twitter with the major rant he later blamed on his wife) and maybe seeing the writing on the wall by drafting 2 young OT's in round 1 and round 2 his days as a Bengal OT may be numbered.

If Whitt wants to stay a Bengal, then he needs to go out and play like he did last year. If so, he will be coveted still, if not, he will be an aging lineman and less a priority to get a new contract. It is on him 100% in my opinion. I hope he proves himself this year.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:42 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We are all human. We all misinterpret things said.

I am not doubting Whitt felt he MB said he was gone, but my common sense tells me it is more likely a huge misunderstanding and Whitt reacting to two guys being drafted (that was when he blew up twitter with the major rant he later blamed on his wife) and maybe seeing the writing on the wall by drafting 2 young OT's in round 1 and round 2 his days as a Bengal OT may be numbered.

This is sort of where my opinion stands right now in regards to the whole Whit situation from a few months ago.

Whit may have taken something said to him by a staff member the wrong way and reacted to it. Or something similar to that situation, I don't know enough to have an extremely firm thought on it.

The only thing I'm pretty set on is that I honestly don't think it was a "joke" by his wife getting on his Twitter account. That excuse doesn't really fly with me because we see this type of thing with athletes constantly in the media.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 11:50 AM)djs7685 Wrote: This is sort of where my opinion stands right now in regards to the whole Whit situation from a few months ago.

Whit may have taken something said to him by a staff member the wrong way and reacted to it. Or something similar to that situation, I don't know enough to have an extremely firm thought on it.

The only thing I'm pretty set on is that I honestly don't think it was a "joke" by his wife getting on his Twitter account. That excuse doesn't really fly with me because we see this type of thing with athletes constantly in the media.

I agree whether he or is wife (or both) were on twitter, I have no doubt emotions were high after those 2 guys went #1 and #2. I understand why they would be upset, but I just don't see MB saying to a player before the season as a fact, you are done and will never get a new contract. It make no sense to tell him something so negative prior to the season. MB is a lot of things, he has never been accused of being stupid and saying that would be beyond stupid in that scenario.

Reply/Quote
BTW Whits wife is no brainless ditz. She was a TV news anchor in Louisiana.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW Whits wife is no brainless ditz.  She was a TV news anchor in Louisiana.

Does that make you feel more likely to believe it was a "joke", or less? Just curious of your thoughts on that part.
Reply/Quote
Whit isn't going anywhere. If anything the Bengals organization has been loyal to a fault.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 12:32 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Does that make you feel more likely to believe it was a "joke", or less? Just curious of your thoughts on that part.

I don't think it was a joke or a mistake by Whit's wife.  But I also don't think MB told Whit he was not coming back next year.  I think emotions were running high in the Whitworth household and Melissa got carried away.

But it is all really just a guess.
Reply/Quote
I'd say Fred nailed it when he said emotions were running high when that was posted.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 12:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think it was a joke or a mistake by Whit's wife.  But I also don't think MB told Whit he was not coming back next year.  I think emotions were running high in the Whitworth household and Melissa got carried away.

But it is all really just a guess.

Agreed. As much shit as I give MB, I really doubt he called up the best player on his team and said "Guess what? You aren't going to be here after next year! HA!". There was probably some sort of conversation had between Whit and some amount of staff members, there was obviously some frustration about the draft and I believe Whit made a comment about not being thrilled that he didn't have job security in the future with Cincinnati with only 1 year left (I could be completely wrong, but for some reason it's coming to mind that he publicly has said this). Frustrated people do dumb stuff sometimes, and this was likely one of those dumb things that he overreacted and said publicly.

Like you said, it's all just a guess, but I'd like to think that we're somewhere close to the truth with all of the evidence in front of us.
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't be the first time someone screwed up and hit the send button without thinking about it.

I find it easier to believe it was a sarcastic joke directed towards friends and teammates with everything that was floating around at the time i.e contract demand.
Then instantly realized that it was a blunder with the situation at hand and used the "My wife can't internet" excuse.

I just do not see MB doing dirty a loyal tow the line player like Whit l and there is plenty of historical evidence to MB being more of the
overly loyal variety than the cut throat variety.

But then again none of will never know.
Reply/Quote
Just about every year I see a thread like this and than boom the guy gets extended.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 07:17 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I'm glad others have stepped up for me, much respect guys.

As the others have said while I was sleeping, Pong shows 0 respect in discussions. He also litters the boards with blatant trolling about how great Marvin and Andy are just to get a reaction and then he disappears from the threads. That's flat out trolling no matter how much you'd like to admit it.

I've posted on the boards for at least a few years, I'm not one of the guys from the beginning but I will guarantee that I've contributed more as far as actual research and discussion in a months time than what Pong has in his entire posting life.

It shows zero intelligence to run from thread to thread making absurd claims with nothing to back them up and acting like a dick to people the entire way as well. At least when I'm abrasive, I do it in style and contribute quite a bit of legitimacy within my ramblings.

Pong is a troll, plain and simple. Nothing I said should have been offensive because it's all just the truth.

Also, you do realize that on the new board, everybody can see everybody's rep messages now? You can kiss Pong's ass however much you'd like, but it makes you look like a complete tool to claim that people are only agreeing with me because "we all have the same e-mail address". Go ahead and have the mods run all the IPs and everything else that you'd like. You'll quickly learn that I'm the one and only. You have to be dense if you don't understand that people can agree with somebody without being that same person. God forbid, people don't agree with SHRacerX and a troll, that obviously means they're all the same person Rolleyes
Zero intelligence?  Kissing his ass? Complete tool? "I'm the one and only"....This is hilarious and you call this "doing it in style with legitimacy"?

Just what possesses you to look up someone else's rep comments?  Are you that insecure? 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Zero intelligence?  Kissing his ass? Complete tool? "I'm the one and only"....This is hilarious and you call this "doing it in style with legitimacy"?

Just what possesses you to look up someone else's rep comments?  Are you that insecure? 

Yes, if YOU are so insecure that you think that there's no possible way that somebody else would ever agree with somebody that has a differing opinion of yours, then there's obviously an issue with you there, and not me.

All you have to do is click somebody's reputation number and it comes up. How is that being "insecure"? Mellow I do it all the time to random posters that I'm debating with, always curious to see who is actually agreeing with some of the trolls/idiots on the boards.

It's funny that you think I'm insecure, yet you're the one that can't fathom another human being on the planet agreeing with me about something, and those people agreeing all must really be me in disguise. Riiiiiiight on, bud.

Also, yes, what Pong does shows zero intelligence. He's a known troll, shouldn't you know that by now since you have such an infatuation with how long he's been around? There are admins and mods on record on this very board that have publicly posted that they're just waiting for him to slip up so they can ban him....again. He's a multi-account troll that has been on the boards for years. Tenure doesn't make him any less of a blatant troll.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see Whit finish his career here and I think he's earned that right. They've paid guys like Peko and Geathers longer then they should. The O-line is going to be pretty crowded however.
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 11:57 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Yes, if YOU are so insecure that you think that there's no possible way that somebody else would ever agree with somebody that has a differing opinion of yours, then there's obviously an issue with you there, and not me.

All you have to do is click somebody's reputation number and it comes up. How is that being "insecure"? Mellow I do it all the time to random posters that I'm debating with, always curious to see who is actually agreeing with some of the trolls/idiots on the boards.

It's funny that you think I'm insecure, yet you're the one that can't fathom another human being on the planet agreeing with me about something, and those people agreeing all must really be me in disguise. Riiiiiiight on, bud.

Also, yes, what Pong does shows zero intelligence. He's a known troll, shouldn't you know that by now since you have such an infatuation with how long he's been around? There are admins and mods on record on this very board that have publicly posted that they're just waiting for him to slip up so they can ban him....again. He's a multi-account troll that has been on the boards for years. Tenure doesn't make him any less of a blatant troll.

I do think it is insecure that you read messages from one person to another when it isn't intended for you.  Yes, I think it is insecure and more than a little weird. 

Never did I say that I can't fathom that someone agrees with you.  There are lots of pinheads in the world. 

Infatuation with Pong?  Do you always go off the deep end with crap like that?  I made one comment about his tenure and you think I am ready to take a bullet for the guy.  If anyone starts throwing hissy fits whenever someone offers a differing opinion it is YOU.  Pong is hilarious at times and I honestly think I remember him from a Bengals board on AOL NEARLY 20 YEARS AGO.  If he is a troll, he's a damn dedicated one.  And FWIW, I don't think he is a troll.  There are lots of guys that have seemingly given up on the Bengals and the years of frustration have got them venting those frustrations on such forums. 

Lastly, as far as anyone offering different opinions from mine, I am an eternal optimist.  I believe in Andy Dalton.  I think that sets me up as a minority.  There are bound to be LOTS of opinions different than mine.  And that is part of the fun.  I don't get this poster vs. poster crap you seem to enjoy.  But I'm always game for a battle of wits....especially when it is going to be an easy victory.  Cool
Reply/Quote
I didn't feel like going through this whole thread just to read arguing between each other about this and that. IMO, I don't see how people don't see the writing on the wall. We drafted 2 tackles with our first 2 picks. Whitworth is getting very old and will be an expensive option if we were to resign him. If we resign anyone, IMO it should be Smith as he is the younger option with way more tread left on the tires. People let their love for a player get in the way of reality. Whits little offseason rant whether it was him or his wife is a very telling sign, along with the Bengals first 2 picks and the fact that Whit has given up his leadership role. The writing is on the wall. Whit is on his way out, unless he decides to take a very large pay cut next season. If the Patriots did this, they would be called genius for letting players go before they decline. With the Bengals we have a bunch of fans who clearly always know more about football than the people making decisions in the FO.
Reply/Quote