Poll: Would you buy season tickets for 2017?
Yes, I'm a sucker
No, I'm a genius
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who Would Buy Season Tickets To The Bengals For 2017?
(02-10-2017, 02:23 AM)Housh Wrote: But why?

You like throwing 4 months of Sundays down the toilet?

for someone so disinterested in the team you are here talking about them a lot...  but why??? you like throwing everyday down the drain?

You seem not to like much about the team or any of its players or coaches...  so why?

Id don't know if id buy season tickets just because I couldn't afford every single game. but id buy tickets.
Reply/Quote
I've renewed just like every year for the past 25 years. I enjoy watching NFL football, the Bengals are my team, and I can afford it.

The biggest problem with PBS is that it's in Cincinnati which is a terrible sports town with terrible fans. Fortunately most of them sit home and grumble about how it's better to watch the game on TV anyway, but a few of the bad ones do show up and do their best to ruin the experience for everyone else.

After my experience in London I'm starting to think that the best Bengals fans are from somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 04:23 AM)Roland Wrote: I've renewed just like every year for the past 25 years.  I enjoy watching NFL football, the Bengals are my team, and I can afford it.

The biggest problem with PBS is that it's in Cincinnati which is a terrible sports town with terrible fans.  Fortunately most of them sit home and grumble about how it's better to watch the game on TV anyway, but a few of the bad ones do show up and do their best to ruin the experience for everyone else.

After my experience in London I'm starting to think that the best Bengals fans are from somewhere else.

I watch on TV from now on. I went to a game a few years ago. Got up to get popcorn and a drink. Waited a 20 minutes in line at the concession stand. Missed 2 touchdowns. Said I'd never do that again.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Sports are strange and powerful.  On one hand they are 100% entertainment and the outcome of sporting events have pretty much zero impact on our "real" lives.  But on the other hand, for many people live sporting events are the most common source of strong emotions.  Of course we all have big emotional events in our lives that are more important than sporting events, but usually not on such a regular basis.  I am not shy about admitting that live Bengal games are intense emotional/psychological events for me.  I think it is good for a person to feel strong emotions.  That is one of the big reasons I am such a big sports fan.

The key is to not let these strong emotions felt during a game effect how you think or behave after the game is over.  This is where the strange power of sports enter seem peoples lives.  I understand it takes a little while to get over something like our last playoff loss, but there is a certain percentage of the Bengal fan base who enjoy hating on the Bengals more than saying anything good about them.  They have let the emotions they felt during games turn them bitter at their core.  They have taken the results of games too personally.

Could go on and on about the psychology of tribalism, personal identity, and family attachment as they relate to sports, but that can wait for another day.  .  .  .  It is going to be a long off season.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:01 PM)Derrick Wrote:  If the NFL were a free market setup, Mikey Brownpants would be out of business.

I doubt it.  He has a huge advantage over every owner who had to shell out hundreds of millions to buy a team.

Plus the NFL would suck if it was a free market set up.  I have some issues with the quasi-monopoly position professional sports leagues enjoy under the current law, but they do need some special rules to work properly. 
Reply/Quote
Her is how I feel about attending a game live versus watching it on TV. There is a certain "rush" to be had from attending a game live. Kind of like watching a band perform live. There is a shared energy that can actually felt. No matter how good your home entertainment system is there is no way you can re-produce the crowd reaction to a big score or game winning play. It is a visceral effect that can only be experienced live.

This benefit of being at a live game is greatly reduced if you are in a section that sits all of the time and only stands to cheer a few times a game. Again I compare it to seeing a band live. There is a huge difference between sitting down and listening to a band and being in front of the stage pumping and dancing.

When I was young one of my biggest goals was to go to Mardi Gras. I have taken a lot of fun trips in my life, but I never made it to Mardi Gras. Now at 54 I have no desire to experience Mardi Gras live. And that is kind of like how I feel about live sporting events. I generally only make the trip to see one Bengal game a year, and after seeing dozens of games in Neyland Stadium in the 90's I have not been there in a few years now.
Reply/Quote
I would but I gotta buy shitty insurance instead...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2017, 01:39 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I would but I gotta buy shitty insurance instead...

You should spend a little more and get the crappy insurance.  I did and I haven't looked back.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote