Poll: WHo do you want #2
Current Bengal
Matt Moore
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles
Josh McCown
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who do you want as Back up QB
(05-01-2020, 12:59 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wouldn't say no to Bortles. He had a couple of good seasons in Jacksonville, and those teams were never good.

I would also bring back several ex Bengals QB's if they were to become available like Ryan Fitzpatrick and AJ McCarron.

But out of the one's available I'd like Josh McCown then Matt Moore.

McCown had a caveat with his recent teams that he fly home to coach hs football on Fridays.  That means time away from the mentor role and possibly the concept of him being paid to not be doing his job, per se.  Hats off to him for keeping his hometown commitments but Moore would be a full time mentor and he's younger and he's a system guy. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WhoDey2 Dolegala or Finley in that order

From an article on Bengals.com:

In the wake of the move, head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan reiterated their belief they don't need a veteran with Burrow and two sophomores in Ryan Finley and Jake Dolegala.
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 01:43 PM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Dolegala or Finley in that order

From an article on Bengals.com:

In the wake of the move, head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan reiterated their belief they don't need a veteran with Burrow and two sophomores in Ryan Finley and Jake Dolegala.

well if this is true something happens to burrow we are screwed. both are garbage we have worst backups in the league. it's unacceptable we didn't  draft a backup sometimes you have to cut your losses Finley isn't a long term answer. I'd take Nathan Peterman before Finley he was awful
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:16 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: well if this is true something happens to burrow we are screwed. both are garbage we have worst backups in the league. it's unacceptable we didn't  draft a backup sometimes you have to cut your losses Finley isn't a long term answer. I'd take Nathan Peterman before Finley he was awful
Draft a backup?  A rookie backing up a rookie?  And which of the draft choices would you have given up to draft a late round developmental project backup QB?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What about this guy?

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg....pY2%3D1399]
Reply/Quote
Jordan Palmer

He will provide tutelage everyday to Master Burrow
Reply/Quote
Is anyone else shocked Winston settled for a contract of 1.1 million with the Saints with incentives (need to go past QB#1 and #2) to 4.7 million.

Is he just looking at this as hopeful Brees will retire after 2020 and he will then sign huge deal to be starter in 2021?

I am shocked as he is young and throws a lot (a whole lot) of pics but also a ton of TD's.

I would sign Cam Newton or Dalton to back up Burrow if either would take that deal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:34 PM)McC Wrote: Draft a backup?  A rookie backing up a rookie?  And which of the draft choices would you have given up to draft a late round developmental project backup QB?

You mean like Griffin and Cousins???

It happened not long ago,

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Dolegala. Joe don't need no vet.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:49 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What about this guy?

Is Smith healthy enough to play this year?

Is he a free agent?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 03:49 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: What about this guy?

(05-01-2020, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Smith healthy enough to play this year?

Is he a free agent?

The only way the Redskins can move on from Alex Smith this year is if they can trade for whatever and get a team to take on his 21mil cap hit. 

They can cut him post-june first and eat a 21mil cap hit this year and 5.4 for the next two years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:48 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You mean like Griffin and Cousins???

It happened not long ago,

Since your example took them right to the SB, let's do it.  Let's go back in time and draft a project QB to back up our rookie.  Just have to decide which of our draft picks to give up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:47 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Is anyone else shocked Winston settled for a contract of 1.1 million with the Saints with incentives (need to go past QB#1 and #2) to 4.7 million.

Is he just looking at this as hopeful Brees will retire after 2020 and he will then sign huge deal to be starter in 2021?

I am shocked as he is young and throws a lot (a whole lot) of pics but also a ton of TD's.

I would sign Cam Newton or Dalton to back up Burrow if either would take that deal.

Reports are Winston turned down more elsewhere, but I can't imagine it was too much more. I'd say he's banking on Brees getting hurt at 41 and taking over
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 06:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Reports are Winston turned down more elsewhere, but I can't imagine it was too much more. I'd say he's banking on Brees getting hurt at 41 and taking over

Must be as if Brees stays healthy, he makes peanuts compared to other back ups who have had success in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 05:05 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: Dolegala. Joe don't need no vet.

Joe Burrow don't need no backup. He's indestructible.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 08:49 PM)jason Wrote: Joe Burrow don't need no backup. He's indestructible.

He doesn't need a vet to teach him.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:21 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: He doesn't need a vet to teach him.

Agreed. The boy seems pretty damn sharp. I wouldn't mind a seasoned vet being brought in in case he goes down, but realistically I'm not certain they're playing this year either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I would guess that they view Taylor as the mentor in this situation, and if Burrow goes down you just roll with the punches and rely on your improved defense and running game. Of the options available, I can't see someone like Cam or Flacco wanting to come in and back someone up. They're probably just waiting for an injury to happen or to hop to a place where the QB situation is uncertain.

Also, just as an aside, Chase Daniel must have naked pictures of someone because he continues to get solid deals to play a game or two every once in a while. Three years to back up Stafford for 13 million.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 12:26 AM)jason Wrote: Agreed. The boy seems pretty damn sharp. I wouldn't mind a seasoned vet being brought in in case he goes down, but realistically I'm not certain they're playing this year either.

Lol I thought I said this a page ago. Not many vets can mentor Burrow cause he's more gifted than all of the guys out there. 

Cam can't teach him x's and o's. Maybe how to dress like a clown...
Dalton can't teach him ball placement. Maybe how to shrug off a pick 6? 
The rest just aren't in Joe's league. 
Reply/Quote
Chad Henne might not be bad
Reply/Quote