Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who else was conflicted during this game?
As a day one Bengal fan I found myself pulling for a victory while hoping they would lose to keep the #1 pick in the draft and hopefully get Burrow. Bottom line I'm okay with the lose because it keeps us in the lead for #1. But it's painful to see them play so poorly. One would think after all these years (decades) one would get used to the bad losses but one never does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I personally don't think Joe Burrow is the answer for this team. Don't get me wrong, Burrow is a tremendous talent.

TBS, I think the league is trending toward 2-prong QBs. Passing and Running.

I think the Bengals would take a huge step forward by taking Chase Young with pick #1 and then trading back for or picking Jalen Hurts in rd 2....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I don’t trust anyone on the Bengals’ coaching staff or in the Front Office with the number one pick in the draft.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is going to need a lot of coaching and a good system here. His performance for LSU is a lot him, but also coaching that developed him and system. He will have none of that here.

It will be interesting. It's obvious that this team isn't 1 or 2 players away. We're 6-7 starters and several coaches away from being good.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:52 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I personally don't think Joe Burrow is the answer for this team. Don't get me wrong, Burrow is a tremendous talent.

TBS, I think the leagueis trending toward 2-prong QBs. Passing and Running.

I think the Bengals would take a huge step forward by taking Chase Young with pick #1 and then trading back for  or picking Jalen Hurts in rd 2....

You lost me at Jalen Hurts.

This has been said before and will need to be repeated over the course of the draft process....Jalen Hurts is not Lamar Jackson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Never want us to lose to the Clowns on any day for any reason ever. **** Cleveland.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burrow is going to need a lot of coaching and a good system here. His performance for LSU is a lot him, but also coaching that developed him and system. He will have none of that here.

It will be interesting. It's obvious that this team isn't 1 or 2 players away. We're 6-7 starters and several coaches away from being good.

I agree on the player’s. Not flaming the coaching staff yet. Sounds crazy, but it’s a new everything and I feel it will come together. How do I know? Aerosmith told me!  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:01 PM)Synric Wrote: You lost me at Jalen Hurts.

This has been said before and will need to be repeated over the course of the draft process....Jalen Hurts is not Lamar Jackson.

Yeah...no way is he Lamar Jackson. He's more Troy Smith than Lamar Jackson.

Hurts has a ton of intangibles, but I don't know that he has the arm.

IF you trade back and want a QB...I'd go Jordan Love, but coming from Utah State he's going to need A LOT of coaching. And I don't see him getting that here.
Reply/Quote
In a related story. The QB that was available during our 2nd RD pick this year is 2-0 as a starter and had a great game against a tough Texan's D.

But hey, at least we got Sample, Wren, and T. Williams in the deal.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:52 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I personally don't think Joe Burrow is the answer for this team. Don't get me wrong, Burrow is a tremendous talent.

TBS, I think the leagueis trending toward 2-prong QBs. Passing and Running.

I think the Bengals would take a huge step forward by taking Chase Young with pick #1 and then trading back for  or picking Jalen Hurts in rd 2....

Thanks for the input but if you look at some of the really good pocket passers in the NFL, Brady, Brees, and now Tannehill you can't dispute their results. It looks like Burrow can fulfill that with also being mobile enough to be effective. Chase Young would only be a limited force. 
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 09:21 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Thanks for the input but if you look at some of the really good pocket passers in the NFL, Brady, Brees, and now Tannehill you can't dispute their results. It looks like Burrow can fulfill that with also being mobile enough to be effective. Chase Young would only be a limited force. 

You went from Brady and Brees to Tannehill... I know he's having a decent season, but that cracked me up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't really say I'm conflicted. Indifference describes me better, so no I don't really mind we lost. I've come to expect it.

Keeping the 1OA pick is just gravy.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 10:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't really say I'm conflicted. Indifference describes me better, so no I don't really mind we lost. I've come to expect it.

Keeping the 1OA pick is just gravy.

Honestly, drafting Burrow is the only thing that gives us a punchers chance to turn this around.

We're 6-8 new starters away from being good.

QB and then A LOT of other upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 10:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, drafting Burrow is the only thing that gives us a punchers chance to turn this around.

My feelings exactly. If someone is indifferent to the outcome then they aren't a fan IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:20 PM)BengalRed Wrote: My feelings exactly. If someone is indifferent to the outcome then they aren't a fan IMHO.

I think it's just hard for people to get emotionally invested in this team that lets them down year after year.

But, EVERY offseason I'd say 80% of the board thinks this is the year we will win a playoff game.

And next year will be no different. We'll draft Burrow and probably a lineman or WR in the 2nd Round...re-sign a lot of guys. Add a few C level free agents. Get Jonah back. And people will think that with health we'll be a contender.
Reply/Quote
I want them to maintain the #1 pick. If they have to lose a game to Cleveland in garbage time of the season then that's what I want to happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 11:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's just hard for people to get emotionally invested in this team that lets them down year after year.

But, EVERY offseason I'd say 80% of the board thinks this is the year we will win a playoff game.

And next year will be no different. We'll draft Burrow and probably a lineman or WR in the 2nd Round...re-sign a lot of guys. Add a few C level free agents. Get Jonah back. And people will think that with health we'll be a contender.

Even if all that happens in the off-season the Bengals still aren’t close to being a winning team. No matter who the coaches are and no matter who is on the roster the same losing excuse-filled culture of mediocrity exists. This organization doesn’t know how to win — and they don’t care to learn.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 08:40 PM)BengalRed Wrote: As a day one Bengal fan I found myself pulling for a victory while hoping they would lose to keep the #1 pick in the draft and hopefully get Burrow. Bottom line I'm okay with the lose because it keeps us in the lead for #1. But it's painful to see them play so poorly. One would think after all these years (decades) one would get used to the bad losses but one never does.

This team has no chance to become a winner with Taylor as HC. So whatever it takes to get rid of the guy is what I'll root for. Mike Brown and his robot front office are blind to the ineptness of this coaching staff. I'm afraid they'll have to be forced into making better decisions.

Reply/Quote
I wanted them to win today... Damn that number 1 pick. The Browns have replaced Pittsburgh as my most hated NFL team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2019, 10:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, drafting Burrow is the only thing that gives us a punchers chance to turn this around.

By the time they can draft 6-8 starters, another 5 spots will open up due to age or free agency losses. The team's refusal to sign decent upgrades in free agency continues to limit the talent on the roster.

Reply/Quote