Poll: Best Rookie (before Chase) in team history?
Corey Dillon
Cris Collinsworth
Icky Woods
AJ Green
Andy Dalton
Eddie Brown
Isaac Curtis
Carlos Dunlap
I like to be different (explain)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Who had the best rookie season in team history?
We all know Chase is going to wind up the best rookie in team history, but before him, who was it?

1. Corey Dillon: 233 carries - 1129 yards - 10 TDs

Everyone remembers 1997 for Boomer turning the team around, but that turnaround coincided more with CD getting way more carries. The Bengals went 6-2 over the last 8 games, with Corey getting 194 carries for 933 yards and 8 scores. He was almost on a 2000 yard pace. Broke the rookie rushing record with 247 yards vs Tennessee.

2. Cris Collinsworth: 67 catches - 1009 yards - 8 TDs

Was a big key to a 12-4 season and Super Bowl run. Had three 100 yard games, including the Superbowl, although he lost a fumble in that game. Made Pro Bowl.

3. Icky Woods: 203 carries - 1066 yards - 15 TDs

Almost all of these stats were from the last 13 games, where he rushed for 1051 yards and 15 scores. He also dominated his way through the AFC playoffs, rushing for 126 and a score vs Seattle and 102 yards and 2 scores vs Buffalo.

4. AJ Green: 65 catches - 1057 yards - 7 TDs

Missed one game. Best game was 10-124-1 vs San Fran. Made Pro Bowl.

5. Andy Dalton: 300 of 516 for 3398 yards, 20 TDs and 13 picks

Made Pro Bowl with AJ.

6. Eddie Brown: 53 catches - 942 yards - 8 TDs

Averaged an impressive 17.8 yards/catch and won Rookie of the Year.

7. Issac Curtis: 45 catches - 843 yards - 9 TDs

Averaged an even more impressive 18.7 yards/catch but did not win Rookie of the Year. In his best game, he only caught 2 passes. One for 67 yard TD and the other for a 77 yard TD. Made Pro Bowl.

8 Carlos Dunlap: 9.5 sacks and 16 QB hits

Did this in only 12 games as a part time player

If you think it was someone else, vote "other" and 'splain yoself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Ickey.

Over a thousand yards plus 15 TDs while sharing the load with James Brooks, 931 yards and 8 TDs.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I dont think he will be viewed as the best... But the mess dalton walked into that first year with the lockout and palmer and a coach that was Fired/rehired whatever that was.... picked to win Zero games.... Go to the Playoffs.... But that was also greens rookie season so i think they get paired together for the win.

So Other Dalton/Green Combo.

That being said these are all pretty good rookie years listed.
Reply/Quote
Has anyone other that Greg Cook been named Rookie of the Year?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To continue being "different":

Odell Thurman:
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Other Jeremy Hill had an underrated rookie season.
9 TDs, 5 YPC, nearly 1200 yards.
Without him I don't think we make the playoffs in 2014.

Three other guys that could make the List
Odell Thurman 2005, Jonathan Joseph 2006, and Geno Atkins in 2010.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Paul Robinson?

And I agree about Dalton. His veteran WRs in 2011 were Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 05:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Has anyone other that Greg Cook been named Rookie of the Year?

Carl Pickens was OROY in 1992. It's weird since he had a pedestrian statistical season:

26 receptions, 326 yards, 1 TD
Reply/Quote
Eddie Brown was also OROY in 1985:

53 receptions, 842 yards, 8 TDs

Both he and Pickens were AP OROY.
Reply/Quote
Chase looks to be at the top of the list after this year. He gets an extra game as well. Is anyone else in the NFL even in the running for Offensive rookie of the year? What about rookie of the year?

Based off of the list/stats, it looks like Icky. AJ and Andy had great rookie years as well. Dillon and Collinsworth too.
Reply/Quote
This inspired me to dig a little deeper into Bengals rookie seasons for running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends. There's a good chance I am missing player(s), as this was from the top of my head with help from PFR. These are scrimmage yards. I realize they're not strictly comparable by position or by era, but whatever. It's neat to see where things stand.

Corey Dillion, 1997 - 1388
Jeremy Hill, 2014 - 1339
Ickey Woods, 1988 - 1265
Giovani Bernard, 2013 - 1209
AJ Green, 2011 - 1110
Eddie Brown, 1985 - 1071
Cris Collinsworth, 1981 - 1009
Darnay Scott, 1994 - 972
Isaac Curtis, 1973 - 834
Ja'Marr Chase, 2021 - 752

Note: Bob Trumpy (1968) still leads the tight end rookies at 638. Only Tony McGee and Dan Ross come particularly close, if I am not missing anyone.
Reply/Quote
Ickey for.

Probably because that was my first season as a Bengals fan. I was 12 and was really into the Bengals. I had no idea they'd be so good that year and I was glued to the set every single game. He was some much fun doing his dance.

Little did my pure innocent 12 year old brain know the pain I would endure for the next 30+ years.
Reply/Quote
Ickey man Ickey....Wow

I mean 1000+ and 15 TD's as a rookie sharing snaps with Brooks and Wilson. Insane. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2021, 06:38 PM)motoarch Wrote: Ickey for.

Probably because that was my first season as a Bengals fan.  I was 12 and was really into the Bengals.  I had no idea they'd be so good that year and I was glued to the set every single game.  He was some much fun doing his dance.

Little did my pure innocent 12 year old brain know the pain I would endure for the next 30+ years.

I was 7 and yeah, the same.
Reply/Quote
I kicked this around for quite awhile but I had to go Icky.
Reply/Quote
It's probably Ickey, but it turns out that was his career. I'm also pretty certain we're witnessing the best rookie season by a Bengal at the moment.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Pure stats, Ickey or Dillon.

In terms of role on the team and relative to situation, etc., Dunlap.

IIRC, he had LESS than 500 snaps, didn't start a game and had 9.5 sacks plus 9 TFL, as a rookie and going against the 1st place teams from the previous year.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna give CD a vote. He was hurt by the fact that we barely played him for the first 8 weeks, but he was on an 1,866 yard, 16 TD pace in the second half of that season and helped lead a bad Bengals team to a 6-2 finish.

That's what CD could've been for us with a good QB under center.

I know just looking at their entire seasons, Icky was better, but he had more games to post those stats and played in a better offense with possibly the best line in team history. Not trying to knock him though. He's a Cincinnati icon forever.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I was between Ickey and Collinsworth. Went with Ickey
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I felt bad, but voted for Icky.
Reply/Quote