Dalton
81.25%
26 81.25%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has better luck this year?
(08-08-2016, 03:00 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Look at the team's they were able to beat. That's pretty much falling ass first into 3 playoff wins.

I'm sorry, but this is BS.  As a devout fan of a team that has not won a playoff game in more than a quarter century, you cannot cut on a team and quarterback who recently went to the AFC Championship game.

Given your thinking, shouldn't the Bengals have been able to luck into a single win at some point?  Like maybe when the played T.J. Yates perhaps??
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I'd wager people might consider playoff games against Mark Sanchez, TJ Yates, a 9-7 Chargers team that made the playoffs because the Chiefs backups couldn't close them out the week before, a Colts team that apparently only makes the playoffs because the division stinks, only won playoff games because they had it super easy, and was forced to run a RB we didn't want MIGHT be considered gimmie games, too.

I will admit I was SURE in 2015 the Jets were going to beat Buffalo, head to Cincy and lead to Shitzpatrick throwing 4 INTs and giving us a playoff win no matter how badly we played or who we had starting at QB.  Close, but the dude imploded 1 quarter too soon for us to get our own ass-first playoff win.  Bah.

The Jets weren't a bad team when we played them in the playoffs. They made the AFCCG a few years in a row, and the Bengals were in a rebuild year with a rookie QB when we played the Texans (who had a really good defense and run game, so Yates had little to do with it). We s should have beat the Chargers, but let's not act like they were worse than the Chiefs team who had all of their backups on the field by the 2nd half (the Colts were getting destroyed in the first half of that game until the injuries piled up). against the Colts we had to play people who couldn't even make the Browns practice squad when they were in desperate need for receivers. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I'm sorry, but this is BS.  As a devout fan of a team that has not won a playoff game in more than a quarter century, you cannot cut on a team and quarterback who recently went to the AFC Championship game.

Given your thinking, shouldn't the Bengals have been able to luck into a single win at some point?  Like maybe when the played T.J. Yates perhaps??

If the team wasn't in rebuild mode we could have won, but our defense wasn't close to as dominant as it is today and we had no offensive weapons with a rookie QB. Yates did very little to beat us. Their run game and defense won the game for them. They easily had a more talented team that year, and it wasn't even close.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:38 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Jets weren't a bad team when we played them in the playoffs. They made the AFCCG a few years in a row, and the Bengals were in a rebuild year with a rookie QB when we played the Texans (who had a really good defense and run game, so Yates had little to do with it). We s should have beat the Chargers, but let's not act like they were worse than the Chiefs team who had all of their backups on the field by the 2nd half (the Colts were getting destroyed in the first half of that game until the injuries piled up). against the Colts we had to play people who couldn't even make the Browns practice squad when they were in desperate need for receivers. 

We've had geniune injury issues in 2005, 2014, and 2015 BUT in the other 4 games we flat-out played like a 6-10 team, so meh...seems like we're getting back on our generic "Bengals in the playoffs" argument, though.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We've had geniune injury issues in 2005, 2014, and 2015 BUT in the other 4 games we flat-out played like a 6-10 team, so meh...seems like we're getting back on our generic "Bengals in the playoffs" argument, though.

The kicker is the reason why we lost in 2009. We would have won if he made those easy FGs. In 2011 and 2012 we were rebuilding. We backed into the playoffs with a sub-par team. The team had very very little offensive weapons and the defense wasn't even close to as good as it was in future years. 2013 we had major injuries too. We only had 2 starters playing in the secondary and Geno Atkins was hurt too. Plus the offensive line was banged up and we had Eifert out too.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:48 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The kicker is the reason why we lost in 2009. We would have won if he made those easy FGs. In 2011 and 2012 we were rebuilding. We backed into the playoffs with a sub-par team. The team had very very little offensive weapons and the defense wasn't even close to as good as it was in future years. 2013 we had major injuries too. We only had 2 starters playing in the secondary and Geno Atkins was hurt too. Plus the offensive line was banged up and we had Eifert out too.

You can always make excuses, but as a fan of a team that needs them to somehow erase absolute futility in the playoffs, it seems odd to cut on another team that has had more success.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:52 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You can always make excuses, but as a fan of a team that needs them to somehow erase absolute futility in the playoffs, it seems odd to cut on another team that has had more success.

Im just saying what happened. You can't tell me that those were good team's that they beat. The fact that you have to attack our playoff losses just points it out more that the team's they beat were awful.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:55 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Im just saying what happened. You can't tell me that those were good team's that they beat. The fact that you have to attack our playoff losses just points it out more that the team's they beat were awful.

It goes both ways...but I guess it's possible that every other team that finds playoff success every 25 years does so because all the planets align.  The bottom line is that the Bengals are the only franchise that makes the playoffs consistently that doesn't have a single SB appearance, or win.

[Image: playoff_crap.jpg]

See?  One of these things is not like the other.  And I can come up with a few "asterisk games" just by looking at that list.  The Broncos managed to win playoff games/the SB with Teboner and total pile of crap Peyton at QB.  The Steelers didn't have Bell when they beat us in our house, the Cardinals made the playoffs twice since they were a 5-11 team and one of those games they were starting Ryan Lindley at QB (so they only got 1 legit shot at the playoffs and managed to get to the NFC Championship game), the Packers lost their #1 WR for the entire season and Rodgers was hitting a practice squad nobody to ALMOST get them to the NFC Championship game, the Panthers were figured dead when their #1 WR was to be gone all year, and so on.

Other teams do a whole lot more post-season winning than the Bengals with (in some cases) less chances to do so.  It may be possible that the Bengals are simply a lot unluckier than the rest of those teams but now we're getting into Chicago Cubs-level curse and excuse making.

EDIT: And yes, I'm TOTALLY listening to Loggins & Messina right now.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 03:55 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Im just saying what happened. You can't tell me that those were good team's that they beat. The fact that you have to attack our playoff losses just points it out more that the team's they beat were awful.

No, it does not.  They were playoff teams, which means they were one of the best teams during the regular season.  Yes, every team has injuries and setback, but they were still playoff teams.

All I'm saying is that if other teams are able to luck into multiple playoff wins per year, then Cincinnati must be the unluckiest franchise of all time with the current streak.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:18 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: All I'm saying is that if other teams are able to luck into multiple playoff wins per year, then Cincinnati must be the unluckiest franchise of all time with the current streak.

It's also a very specific form of bad luck since it seems so specifically attracted to the times we are playing in the playoffs or in prime time.  It's hard to applaud the Bengals' consistency for making the playoffs without also cringing at their shocking consistency for coming up short in very predictable times.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It goes both ways...but I guess it's possible that every other team that finds playoff success every 25 years does so because all the planets align.  The bottom line is that the Bengals are the only franchise that makes the playoffs consistently that doesn't have a single SB appearance, or win.

[Image: playoff_crap.jpg]

See?  One of these things is not like the other.  And I can come up with a few "asterisk games" just by looking at that list.  The Broncos managed to win playoff games/the SB with Teboner and total pile of crap Peyton at QB.  The Steelers didn't have Bell when they beat us in our house, the Cardinals made the playoffs twice since they were a 5-11 team and one of those games they were starting Ryan Lindley at QB (so they only got 1 legit shot at the playoffs and managed to get to the NFC Championship game), the Packers lost their #1 WR for the entire season and Rodgers was hitting a practice squad nobody to ALMOST get them to the NFC Championship game, the Panthers were figured dead when their #1 WR was to be gone all year, and so on.

Other teams do a whole lot more post-season winning than the Bengals with (in some cases) less chances to do so.  It may be possible that the Bengals are simply a lot unluckier than the rest of those teams but now we're getting into Chicago Cubs-level curse and excuse making.

EDIT:  And yes, I'm TOTALLY listening to Loggins & Messina right now.

The Broncos have had one of the best weapons in the league. Leaps and bounds better than we have had. Plus they have had one of the best defenses in the league last year. The Steelers played us with McCarron. We didn't have Dalton out there, so congrats to them for barley beating a team with a backup QB and at the same time getting a lot of help from the refs. The Cardinals have one of the best defenses too, and they have just as good receivers than us. They have only won one playoff game with that team too. The Packers still had a decent receiving core and they have the best QB in the league. He wasn't throwing to practice squad players either. Stop fooling yourself. The Panthers had one of the best defenses and they have an elite TE with a OL that is one of the best in the league, and an amazing run game. They just were missing their #1 receiver, but that doesn't mean they were working with nothing. That's just a joke.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's also a very specific form of bad luck since it seems so specifically attracted to the times we are playing in the playoffs or in prime time.  It's hard to applaud the Bengals' consistency for making the playoffs without also cringing at their shocking consistency for coming up short in very predictable times.

It really is crazy... every other team with at least three straight playoff appearances has been to the Super Bowl, and all except Carolina have won the Super Bowl.  Yet the Bengals have not notched a single playoff victory.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:37 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The Broncos have had one of the best weapons in the league. Leaps and bounds better than we have had. Plus they have had one of the best defenses in the league last year. The Steelers played us with McCarron. We didn't have Dalton out there, so congrats to them for barley beating a team with a backup QB and at the same time getting a lot of help from the refs. The Cardinals have one of the best defenses too, and they have just as good receivers than us. They have only won one playoff game with that team too. The Packers still had a decent receiving core and they have the best QB in the league. He wasn't throwing to practice squad players either. Stop fooling yourself. The Panthers had one of the best defenses and they have an elite TE with a OL that is one of the best in the league, and an amazing run game. They just were missing their #1 receiver, but that doesn't mean they were working with nothing. That's just a joke.

Say whaaaat?  Well get on the horn and see if we can trade AJ for Jeff Janus straight-up!

Anyways, I'm not saying every team on that list is bad but I'm saying you don't seem to be floating as many excuses their way as you do ours.  And the Cardinals have a single playoff win with Palmer and Arians, but they've only had one shot and they managed to get a 1st round bye and a win in that one shot.  So "just one win" that leads to the NFC Championship game in one legit attempt is better than 0 wins in 7 tries (though we can thank Palmer for at least 1 whiff here).

I'm just pointing out that other playoff teams have talent and have bad luck but seem to make more of their opportunities than we have. 
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:18 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: No, it does not.  They were playoff teams, which means they were one of the best teams during the regular season.  Yes, every team has injuries and setback, but they were still playoff teams.

All I'm saying is that if other teams are able to luck into multiple playoff wins per year, then Cincinnati must be the unluckiest franchise of all time with the current streak.

What am I saying that's untrue then? How were the team's the Colts played not bad?
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Say whaaaat?  Well get on the horn and see if we can trade AJ for Jeff Janus straight-up!

Anyways, I'm not saying every team on that list is bad but I'm saying you don't seem to be floating as many excuses their way as you do ours.  And the Cardinals have a single playoff win with Palmer and Arians, but they've only had one shot and they managed to get a 1st round bye and a win in that one shot.  So "just one win" that leads to the NFC Championship game in one legit attempt is better than 0 wins in 7 tries (though we can thank Palmer for at least 1 whiff here).

I'm just pointing out that other playoff teams have talent and have bad luck but seem to make more of their opportunities than we have. 

Randall Cobb, Devante Adams, and James Jones aren't practice squad receivers. So nice try putting their #4 receiver up there.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Say whaaaat?  Well get on the horn and see if we can trade AJ for Jeff Janus straight-up!

Your talking crazy about how bad the Packers were and then say the Cardinals only won was over them in OT... Hmmm something doesn't seem right here.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Randall Cobb, Devante Adams, and James Jones aren't practice squad receivers. So nice try putting their #4 receiver up there.

Hmmm....let's see...

Cobb, Adams, Jones?  I don't see those guys in the receiving column...I DO happen to see a #4 WR on there but that simply can't be possible.

[Image: Packers.jpg]

(08-08-2016, 04:52 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Your talking crazy about how bad the Packers were and then say the Cardinals only won was over them in OT... Hmmm something doesn't seem right here.

I didn't say the Packers were bad, I just said they weren't exactly playing at 100% during the playoffs or for much of the year but they managed to win a playoff game and get close to the NFC Championship game.  Also, the Cardinals were missing Tyrann Matthieu who is really good, and they had their #1 RB out for the year, and Palmer had ligament damage to his index finger on his throwing hand which had been throwing things off (no pun intended) for weeks, and so on and so forth.

EXCUSES!
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 04:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmmm....let's see...

Cobb, Adams, Jones?  I don't see those guys in the receiving column...I DO happen to see a #4 WR on there but that simply can't be possible.

[Image: Packers.jpg]

I didn't say the Packers were bad, I just said they weren't exactly playing at 100% during the playoffs or for much of the year but they managed to win a playoff game and get close to the NFC Championship game.  Also, the Cardinals were missing Tyrann Matthieu who is really good, and they had their #1 RB out for the year, and Palmer had ligament damage to his index finger on his throwing hand which had been throwing things off (no pun intended) for weeks, and so on and so forth.

EXCUSES!

Cobb and Jones were both in that game, I guess Janis stepped it up in the playoffs. Hell, I wish that Green had those kind of stats in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Do any of you really think Luck would've won playoff games for Marvin though? 

We've now seen 4 QBs and they've all sucked. Dalton and Palmer had some excellent regular seasons for us, yet they can't even muster anything above awful in the playoffs? It seems they haven't had any balls on offense since Palmer went deep on the first pass of his first playoff game. Maybe it's just me, but they've seemed hyper conservative since.

They were a little aggressive in this last game after going down 15-0 in the 4th and we saw good results. Maybe they should run the offense like that from jump? Either way, I just find it hard to believe all our QBs have been chokers. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2016, 07:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Do any of you really think Luck would've won playoff games for Marvin though? 

We've now seen 4 QBs and they've all sucked. Dalton and Palmer had some excellent regular seasons for us, yet they can't even muster anything above awful in the playoffs? It seems they haven't had any balls on offense since Palmer went deep on the first pass of his first playoff game. Maybe it's just me, but they've seemed hyper conservative since.

They were a little aggressive in this last game after going down 15-0 in the 4th and we saw good results. Maybe they should run the offense like that from jump? Either way, I just find it hard to believe all our QBs have been chokers. 

I've always had my suspicion is was ol' Marv's fault more than anyone else and the fact that 2 of the best QBs in the league last year were guys who went 0-6 in the playoffs here doesn't change my mind.
Reply/Quote