Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who has the best tax plan?
In order to break the cycle of "Trump did this..." and "Refugees are doing this..." threads that seem to be flooding PnR right now I thought I'd start a discussion about which Presidential candidate has the best tax plan. With that said, who do you think has the best plan and why?
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
outside of of 6% employer healthcare tax, I like sanders' plan. It ends deferments and subsidies that shouldn't get deferments and subsidies anyway. If your business has profits in tens or hundreds of millions, you don't need tax breaks.

But one of the aspects I like best is it actually pays for what he's proposing. Or should anyway. It beats plans like "I'm gonna build a hoooooge multi-billion dollar wall and have someone else pay for it so I can lower taxes!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-31-2016, 03:59 PM)Benton Wrote: outside of of 6% employer healthcare tax, I like sanders' plan. It ends deferments and subsidies that shouldn't get deferments and subsidies anyway. If your business has profits in tens or hundreds of millions, you don't need tax breaks.

But one of the aspects I like best is it actually pays for what he's proposing. Or should anyway. It beats plans like "I'm gonna build a hoooooge multi-billion dollar wall and have someone else pay for it so I can lower taxes!"

The fact that Sanders is looking to increase tax revenues for what he has planned is something I like, but honestly none of them have a great tax plan. There are components that sound nice, but I have never really seen a candidate with a good tax plan.
(01-31-2016, 12:34 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: In order to break the cycle of "Trump did this..." 

(01-31-2016, 03:59 PM)Benton Wrote: It beats plans like "I'm gonna build a hoooooge multi-billion dollar wall and have someone else pay for it so I can lower taxes!"

Well you tried OP. It made one post
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-31-2016, 04:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The fact that Sanders is looking to increase tax revenues for what he has planned is something I like, but honestly none of them have a great tax plan. There are components that sound nice, but I have never really seen a candidate with a good tax plan.

Agreed.

And really, that's ok. No plan ever goes forward 100%. The problem we usually have is the worst of each plan seems to go forward.
Whomever says that they will bring back companies that have fled the US, for taxation reasons. Encourage companies to bring their manufacturing plants back to the US. Vows to kill the TPP. As well as raise the tariffs on goods imported from outside the US.

That candidate has the best plan.

Although, I am awfully fond of any plan that includes abolishing the huge, bureaucratic monstrosity, that is the IRS, as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Write in vote for Nebuchadnezzar!

You have to get him elected to find out what he's going to do though.

IT'S PARTY TIME WASHINGTON STYLE!!!

By the way, the D.C. in Washington D.C. doesn't stand for District of Columbia because it wouldn't be Washington D.C. but Washington D.o.C. Or Washington D. of C. like K. of C. for Knights of Columbus. No, the D.C. stands for Da Capitol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(01-31-2016, 04:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well you tried OP. It made one post

Well, thank god you were here to get the discussion back of track.

Elections are like dating.  This guy explains it better than me so . . .

Rand Paul has the best tax plan.    Cruz would be next.    I want the government to live within its income.  

Flat tax is the way to go.  

Sanders loses me when he wants to raise taxes.   And adjusting the progressive tax just adds to more loophole shenanigans for whomever has the best accountants.

The ironic thing is that the flat tax is actually a communism idea.
(01-31-2016, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whomever says that they will bring back companies that have fled the US, for taxation reasons.  Encourage companies to bring their manufacturing plants back to the US.  Vows to kill the TPP.  As well as raise the tariffs on goods imported from outside the US.  

That candidate has the best plan.

Although, I am awfully fond of any plan that includes abolishing the huge, bureaucratic monstrosity, that is the IRS, as well.

The kicker here is Sanders is the only one that's voted (I think completely) against free trade agreements that have facilitated U.S. companies leaving. It's not the tax rate, they don't pay it anyway. It's not even the tax loopholes that allow them to not pay those taxes. It's the agreements that allow an employer to move jobs to China or Mexico, pay a fraction of the wage and then import the product without any tax. Meanwhile, the goods we export get taxed since we aren't shipping out goods, just materials.

That's not to say he'd repeal it. But he's the only one who has voted against them (although to be fair, Trump, Fiorna and many of the others weren't in Congress while most of the agreements were passed).
(01-31-2016, 07:36 PM)Benton Wrote: The kicker here is Sanders is the only one that's voted (I think completely) against free trade agreements that have facilitated U.S. companies leaving. It's not the tax rate, they don't pay it anyway. It's not even the tax loopholes that allow them to not pay those taxes. It's the agreements that allow an employer to move jobs to China or Mexico, pay a fraction of the wage and then import the product without any tax. Meanwhile, the goods we export get taxed since we aren't shipping out goods, just materials.

That's not to say he'd repeal it. But he's the only one who has voted against them (although to be fair, Trump, Fiorna and many of the others weren't in Congress while most of the agreements were passed).

Rand also voted against them . I also think Cruz did as well, but I would need to Verify that ...
(01-31-2016, 07:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Rand also voted against them .  I also think Cruz did as well, but I would need to Verify that ...

Cruz and Paul weren't around during NAFTA.
(01-31-2016, 08:21 PM)Benton Wrote: Cruz and Paul weren't around during NAFTA.

I had TPP on the brain lol

Would love to get rid of nafta.
(01-31-2016, 07:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Rand also voted against them .  I also think Cruz did as well, but I would need to Verify that ...

Maybe you can ask you Native American "clients" then follow up with us later?
(01-31-2016, 08:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Maybe you can ask you Native American "clients" then follow up with us later?

Hey you make sure you keep asking. Got a pool going. Ninja
(01-31-2016, 08:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I had TPP on the brain lol

Would love to get rid of nafta.
tpp and tppip are bad, too. Tpp if I remember right actually screwed Mexico and Canada in addition to ourselves, as less of a car has to be produced here than it did before. I think from 60% to 30%.
Trade agreements and global economic theory are not my strongest suite, but from what I have seen I agree with most of what benton is saying. As the biggest consumption market on earth we should get better trade deals, but at the same time there are emerging global markets all over the w orld that are willing to ggive big businesses breaks to come there.

It has been happening on the state and local level for a long time. Everytime you see a big corporation open a new plant or move their headquarters I guarantee you that they got tax breaks and/or other financial incentives from the state/local governments. People made a lot of noise for a while about taxpayers building stadiums for NFL teams, but the same thing goes on with all big businesses.
(01-31-2016, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Although, I am awfully fond of any plan that includes abolishing the huge, bureaucratic monstrosity, that is the IRS, as well.

Impossible.
i am not familiar with the tax plans of all the candidates, but there is plenty of money being made in this country to "promote the general welfare" of the citizens. There is no excuse for the United States to keep slipping toward a third world-type society where the wealthy elite have all the money with a miniscule middle class, and millions of disadvantaged living in ghetto conditions.
Things I would like to see in a tax plan:
-Flat personal income tax with a deduction based on an adjusted amount for costs of living and no other deductions.
-More reliance on duties and tariffs.
-Standardizing sales/use tax nationwide. This doesn't mean a national transaction tax, but at least some sort of uniformity.
-Restructure corporate/business income taxes to bring them more in line with the rest of the western world.

I would also like to see our country move to a biennial budget system and move to publicly funded elections so our elected officials could do something other than fund raise and return favors while they are supposed to be doing their jobs.