Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here just doesn't care anymore?
A lot of fans are talking about giving up their tickets, being pissed at the Bengals, and just giving up.

Im to the point where I just don't care anymore. They announced Marvin's extension and I just didn't care. I didnt care enough to muster up any energy to put towards feelings of resentment.

I think apathy is even scarier than being negative or pissed at the Bengals for their recent decisions. Not caring about the team and apathy is where fans are actually lost.

Who here is just so worn out and exhausted by the Bengals that they just doent care anymore?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Complete apathy pretty much all season describes me as well.

I had a strong suspicion Mike would bring Marvin back so I'm really not all that shocked. But I will say unless there's major changes and I mean huge in the way this team conducts business in the off season and going into next year and they convince me they're really, truly, honestly doing there best to win.

I will be out until Mike's gone from being the HMFIC
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm almost at not caring anymore. With two bad seasons in a row and not getting rid of Lewis my interest in the Bengals is at an all time low. I don't know if I could ever not care at all. As long as I like watching the NFL I will care at least a little for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 10:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A lot of fans are talking about giving up their tickets, being pissed at the Bengals, and just giving up.

Im to the point where I just don't care anymore. They announced Marvin's extension and I just didn't care. I didnt care enough to muster up any energy to put towards feelings of resentment.

I think apathy is even scarier than being negative or pissed at the Bengals for their recent decisions. Not caring about the team and apathy is where fans are actually lost.

Who here is just so worn out and exhausted by the Bengals that they just doent care anymore?

I was PISSED OFF when I heard the news.....mfers started tagging me on FB and giving me grief on top of already being pissed at the organization (as if I hadn't already listened to enough shit over the years for being a Bungals fan...lol).  I mean, I know it's all in good fun, and I cut up with them, but at the end of the day, us Bengal fans RARELY get the opportunity to talk shit back.  We just have to take it.  It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of life, but why listen to it anymore?  If the organization gave half as much of a shit as us fans do, we'd be a contender.  That's where I'm at.  They obviously don't give a shit, why should we?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I think I reached that "don't care" plateau earlier this year. Watching the Red Zone instead of our games, recording our games, but deleting them without watching them. Actually, the first two games this year all but done me in. Winning the last two games actually pissed me off, there's a big difference in picking in the 5-6 slot every round versus picking 12th...the old dead cat bounce done us in once again. And now, getting rid of the Piano Man was great, but my excitement for next year is predicated on Marvin being a completely new coach, and I'm having trouble buying in as of yet. I don't get excited coming to these boards like I once did, and while I don't make a zillion posts, it used to be something I really looked forward to, where lately it has become more of a grind. I just don't know at this point.
Reply/Quote
I look at it this way there is NO NONE NADA reasons to be upset at things outside of your control.

NFL Football... Cincinnati Bengals.. We don't control any of that. We are just along for the ride. So if your not enjoying the ride you should get off at the next stop. Or find a different Train.

Ill be a Bengals fan till I Die or the NFL is gone (or they move and change their name) Because I'm loyal to a fault... I don't throw much money at the NFL in general so I don't need to boycott or not buy things..

I watch and enjoy or I don't. Ill get upset at the calls on the field and such but overall its just a game being played for our entertainment. If you'er putting so much of yourself into it that its affecting you on a deeply personal level its time to step back and remember its all for entertainment. and stop being so serious...
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown and The Bengals Organization don't give a DAMN about the fans or the city of Cincinnati!

- Stephen A. Smith

This truth is all you need to know.
Reply/Quote
Again if your survived the 90's you pretty much gave up your soul for life.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:00 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I look at it this way there is NO NONE NADA reasons to be upset at things outside of your control.

NFL Football...  Cincinnati Bengals..  We don't control any of that.       We are just along for the ride.  So if your not enjoying the ride you should get off at the next stop. Or find a different Train.

Ill be a Bengals fan till I Die or the NFL is gone (or they move and change their name)  Because I'm loyal to a fault...  I don't throw much money at the NFL in general so I don't need to boycott or not buy things..

I watch and enjoy or I don't.      Ill get upset at the calls on the field and such but overall its just a game being played for our entertainment.   If you'er putting so much of yourself into it that its affecting you on a deeply personal level its time to step back and remember its all for entertainment. and stop being so serious...

I agree with this.....I think what bothers a lot of older fans is we remember how the franchise used to be.  We've all seen Mike Brown run it into the ground, and it pisses us off.  Not in the sense that I'm mad at the world, and go home and kick the dog, but mad in our "sports world", if you will.  A lot of guys have sons, or roomates, or siblings, or dads, or what have you to discuss this stuff with at home.  Me, I have 2 young daughters, a wife, and 2 female dogs.....lol.  When I see my friends that would be interested in discussing this stuff, or know about the team enough to talk about it, it's been planned for weeks, lmao.  

For a lot of us, this is the place to vent, celebrate, and cry in our beers in our sports life.  So, while it may seem over the top at times, bear in mind, this place is dedicated to a sports team, and sports world, and real world are two different things.  Like I said, I remember Super Bowl runs, making trades for complementary players, accountability, and then the abyss.  It's like building your own business, and then handing it over to a spoiled child and watching helplessly as they drive it into a hot pile of ashes.  No one likes that shit.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 10:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A lot of fans are talking about giving up their tickets, being pissed at the Bengals, and just giving up.

I do care and know that come draft time I'll be interested again and I'll be keen to see what Lazor or maybe a new DC does in terms of additions in pre-season.

What I'm not gonna do -as I have done the last 2 years- is get too optimistic about our chances pre season.  

This year particularly, I knew we would struggle especially with the OLine however I let myself get talked around and by the pre season start I had convinced myself that Ced / Fish would be fine, Core/Malone/Ross were the WR answer and that Mixon would be great no matter the blocking.

In my heart I know there is no reason to believe that year 16 of Marv should turn out any differently....so I'll watch with pessimism and hope I see actual on field reasons to be optimistic
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with this.....I think what bothers a lot of older fans, is we remember how the franchise used to be.  We've all seen Mike Brown run it into the ground, and it pisses us off.  Not in the sense that I'm mad at the world, and go home and kick the dog, but mad in our "sports world", if you will.  A lot of guys have sons, or roomates, or siblings, or dads, or what have you to discuss this stuff with at home.  Me, I have 2 young daughters, a wife, and 2 female dogs.....lol.  When I see my friends that would be interested in discussing this stuff, or know about the team enough to talk about it, it's been planned for weeks, lmao.  

For a lot of us, this is the place to vent, celebrate, and cry in our beers in our sports life.  So, while it may seem over the top at times, bear in mind, this place is dedicated to a sports team, and sports world, and real world are two different things.  Like I said, I remember Super Bowl runs, making trades for complementary players, accountability, and then the abyss.  It's like building your own business, and then handing it over to a spoiled child and watching helplessly as they drive it into a hot pile of ashes.  No one likes that shit.

Agree,

I grew up in the 70's and 80's watching the Bengals and Buckeyes with my dad and they'll always be my teams. I was watching the game the Steeler DT tried to break Kenny Anderson neck with a face mask. I was watching the game Pete Johnson knocked Jack Lambert into to next week on MNF, early 80's. Watched him fail at the goal line in the SB. I was here and watched Tim Krumrie's foot go spinning around off Roger Craig's knee.

I'm not saying I'm special there's many right there with me. What I'm saying is I was a fan before Mikey took over and back then there was hope.

I'm sick to damn dog death of Mike's running this team into the ground ! He's going to have to prove to me he's really trying to win this time and not just save money or I'll be metal detecting on Sundays this fall.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 10:57 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: I think I reached that "don't care" plateau earlier this year. Watching the Red Zone instead of our games, recording our games, but deleting them without watching them. Actually, the first two games this year all but done me in. Winning the last two games actually pissed me off, there's a big difference in picking in the 5-6 slot every round versus picking 12th...the old dead cat bounce done us in once again. And now, getting rid of the Piano Man was great, but my excitement for next year is predicated on Marvin being a completely new coach, and I'm having trouble buying in as of yet. I don't get excited coming to these boards like I once did, and while I don't make a zillion posts, it used to be something I really looked forward to, where lately it has become more of a grind. I just don't know at this point.

I've considered the bolded. From people I know who have tried Red Zone, that's all they ever watch. They say it's awesome, especially for those who are really into fantasy football.
I'll probably go this route too, especially if the Bengals botch this offseason again like they did last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:00 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I look at it this way there is NO NONE NADA reasons to be upset at things outside of your control.

NFL Football...  Cincinnati Bengals..  We don't control any of that.       We are just along for the ride.  So if your not enjoying the ride you should get off at the next stop. Or find a different Train.

Ill be a Bengals fan till I Die or the NFL is gone (or they move and change their name)  Because I'm loyal to a fault...  I don't throw much money at the NFL in general so I don't need to boycott or not buy things..

I watch and enjoy or I don't.      Ill get upset at the calls on the field and such but overall its just a game being played for our entertainment.   If you'er putting so much of yourself into it that its affecting you on a deeply personal level its time to step back and remember its all for entertainment. and stop being so serious...

Good way to look at it and thats what ive started to realize as ive gotten older. If they win, awesome. If they lose, then whatever. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I was exhausted at mid season.   And I get disgusted by some of the mistakes that the players, the coaching staff and the front office make.

I'll never give up though.   There are some things that are just manifestly true:
  • The personnel - given the window of our best players - was poorly handled.  
  • It's easy to say that New England and Pittsburgh know when to release your better players.  But we did not have the infrastructure to survive the loss of our 2 best offensive linemen - and it was poorly planned.  They knew the year before their free agency what they were looking at, and knew that at best they did not know what they had in their top picks from the 2015 draft.  But there were significant questions.  And they did not make the necessary adjustments to make sure their contingencies were provided for.
  • The offensive coordinator coming out of 2016 was just too limited.
  • The offensive line schemes were just not working
  • Most importantly, there is a long history of inflexible thinking that runs through the Brown family - not just Mike, but Paul.  And it has resulted in poor decisions that significantly affected the ability of the team to be successful.    I think of not signing Bill Walsh, and the refusal to pay guards and safeties.
At the same time there is an awful lot we just don't know about what lies under the surface - the true nature of the problems here.  And during the Marvin Lewis tenure we have come back from the dead and fielded a couple of really good teams.

So I do have hope.   I won't give up.  I'm frustrated and guarded.  And won't lie and say that I do not wish we had fired Marvin and hired Zimmer.  He's one of the few coaches that I would have had confidence in to take this team deep into the playoffs.

I will wait to see who we get as a defensive coordinator, who we get as an offensive line coach and who we draft before I start to grouse again.

But I just don't have it in me to quit on my team.

"Sad to say", says my wife...  If I put half the time into my house and yard that I put into this team I would probably have a showcase on my hands.

But who needs a showcase right??   And thankfully my wife does not need one either and will settle for me achieving 75% of the honey-do...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I'm already at work on a Kool Aid Liqueur.  I'm going to age it (and a little Courvoisier) in a lime flavored coconut until next August.   Then I'll drink heavy, breath deep and jump into the next season.

WHO DEY THINK THEM BENGALS GONNA BE WINNERS???    ME DEY!!!
Reply/Quote
I can't say I don't care. If I didn't care I wouldn't be on here daily. Problem is I do care. That's why it's so disappointing.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 11:59 AM)3wt Wrote: I was exhausted at mid season.   And I get disgusted by some of the mistakes that the players, the coaching staff and the front office make.

I'll never give up though.   There are some things that are just manifestly true:

• The personnel - given the window of our best players - was poorly handled.  
  • It's easy to say that New England and Pittsburgh know when to release your better players.  But we did not have the infrastructure to survive the loss of our 2 best offensive linemen - and it was poorly planned.  They knew the year before their free agency what they were looking at, and knew that at best they did not know what they had in their top picks from the 2015 draft.  But there were significant questions.  And they did not make the necessary adjustments to make sure their contingencies were provided for.
  • The offensive coordinator coming out of 2016 was just too limited.
  • The offensive line schemes were just not working
  • Most importantly, there is a long history of inflexible thinking that runs through the Brown family - not just Mike, but Paul.  And it has resulted in poor decisions that significantly affected the ability of the team to be successful.    I think of not signing Bill Walsh, and the refusal to pay guards and safeties.
At the same time there is an awful lot we just don't know about what lies under the surface - the true nature of the problems here.  And during the Marvin Lewis tenure we have come back from the dead and fielded a couple of really good teams.

So I do have hope.   I won't give up.  I'm frustrated and guarded.  And won't lie and say that I do not wish we had fired Marvin and hired Zimmer.  He's one of the few coaches that I would have had confidence in to take this team deep into the playoffs.

I will wait to see who we get as a defensive coordinator, who we get as an offensive line coach and who we draft before I start to grouse again.

But I just don't have it in me to quit on my team.

"Sad to say", says my wife...  If I put half the time into my house and yard that I put into this team I would probably have a showcase on my hands.

But who needs a showcase right??   And thankfully my wife does not need one either and will settle for me achieving 75% of the honey-do...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I'm already at work on a Kool Aid Liqueur.  I'm going to age it (and a little Courvoisier) in a lime flavored coconut until next August.   Then I'll drink heavy, breath deep and jump into the next season.

WHO DEY THINK THEM BENGALS GONNA BE WINNERS???    ME DEY!!!

Somewhat.....but then Paul hired guys like Gregg and Wyche to try and rectify his bad decisions....Mike just keeps on making them.

Also, look at the players Paul Brown traded for.

Reply/Quote
I have times when I don't care and to be fair my life doesn't in any way revolve around football or the  Bengals. I've been through much much worse in my life. The season they knocked off the undefeated Chiefs I was in a homeless shelter in Texas. My life had really come unglued. The Bengals were the least of my problems at the time, but that game just happened to be on TV at the shelter and I was the ONLY person in the place rooting for the team and they pulled it off..
If I based all or even a fraction of my emotions on success or failure of this team I'd be a complete basket case even more than I am now. For me it's not much different than watching a movie I've never heard of before except that I have heard of the Bengals. I don't know how the next season will unfold so I'll pay attention until they bore me and I'll move on and find something else to occupy the space between my ears..
They had a pretty crummy season with a few good games and I'm still alive, I still have a nice place to live and I'm still arguing with the old woman over bs that doesn't matter a gnat. I suspect next year will be much the same unless she kicks me to the curb suddenly for being the jerk that I am.. 
By the way, in 2003 I hadn't paid any attention to football and didn't even know who Marvin Lewis was at the time. I had completely dropped out of paying attention. I do remember that game though and wondering who the black guy on the sidelines was that the camera kept panning in on.. lol 
We all metaphorically reinvent ourselves from time to time. The Bengals do as well. Someday Mike Brown will be gone, Marvin will too and we'll all look back, probably rather fondly at the memories. I even have one fond memory of my time in that crummy shelter that I got kicked out of..The Bengals game..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 12:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Somewhat.....but then Paul hired guys like Gregg and Walsh to try and rectify his bad decisions....Mike just keeps on making them.

Also, look at the players Paul Brown traded for.

I appreciate what you're saying Wyche.    Hiring Gregg was such a good hire.   Losing Walsh was such a big failure.  Hiring Marvin at the time was a great hire and yielded significant results.

Unfortunately it has devolved into a big mess - a quagmire that is hard to step out of.  Realistically my expectations are pretty limited.  They have a LOT of holes to fill and problems to fix.

But I can't stop myself from being hopeful.   My own personal flaw.

I only went to one game this year (the Indianapolis game).   If I had money I'd be there every week.   I love the team, the stadium and the fans.  I love the atmosphere.

I remember going to a replacement game back in the day.   My roommate at the time ran into Boomer in a Mt. Adams bar.  My roommate excitedly told Boomer that his roommate was such a die hard fan he went to replacement games  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Boomer sent me an autograph that read, "Westy, you went to replacement games????   How could you???   Boomer #7.

Somehow in my many moves I managed to lose that precious autograph.   But it underscores my fanaticism. 

I'll be back.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 12:28 PM)3wt Wrote: I appreciate what you're saying Wyche.    Hiring Gregg was such a good hire.   Losing Walsh was such a big failure.  Hiring Marvin at the time was a great hire and yielded significant results.

Unfortunately it has devolved into a big mess - a quagmire that is hard to step out of.  Realistically my expectations are pretty limited.  They have a LOT of holes to fill and problems to fix.

But I can't stop myself from being hopeful.   My own personal flaw.

I only went to one game this year (the Indianapolis game).   If I had money I'd be there every week.   I love the team, the stadium and the fans.  I love the atmosphere.

I remember going to a replacement game back in the day.   My roommate at the time ran into Boomer in a Mt. Adams bar.  My roommate excitedly told Boomer that his roommate was such a die hard fan he went to replacement games  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Boomer sent me an autograph that read, "Westy, you went to replacement games????   How could you???   Boomer #7.

Somehow in my many moves I managed to lose that precious autograph.   But it underscores my fanaticism. 

I'll be back.

LMAO....that's too killer.

Sorry, in my original reply, I meant Gregg and Wyche.  Had to edit.

Hey, I understand, admire, and there is no flaw there my friend.  I guess we all just have a different threshold for dumb shit!  LOL.  

It's kinda like how I vote.  I can't, in good conscience, vote R or D when I see the history and evidence of their corruption laid in front of me.  I can't monetarily support Son of Paul in good conscience.  That's just me though.  It makes me no better than you, or vice versa.  I will applaud from a distance, and laugh at what I feel will be more of the same.  It's a shame.....I had attended games off and on from 1988 to 2015.  I quit going after the Merv extension that season.....now, no hats, shirts, etc.....and if I can find ANYTHING better to do on Sundays, I'll be doing it.  

The one thing I won't do, is leave this great community of fans.

Reply/Quote
I'll give this team a chance to bring me back to the Bengals next season but I might not wait for 16 games.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote