Poll: Are you surprised by the o line in week 1
Yes completely shocked
I thought they would at least scheme around it somehow
No, not at all.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is actually surprised by what they saw week 1?
This franchise will never win a playoff game until Mikey Boy is planted - FACT!
Reply/Quote
I'm admittedly shocked. But I won't be anymore this season. They are who we feared they were.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yes I'm completely shocked about getting shutout at home in a 1pm game against Joe Flacco and the Ravens. Hard not to be. 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 06:01 PM)bjf123 Wrote: I was thinking the same thing.  After watching that disaster, I have zero faith that this team will win 6 games.  I know those who see things through orange colored glasses, will tell me to take a hike, call me a bandwagon fan, etc.  We're probably starting the year 0-3.  I fully expect JJ Watt to live in the Bengals' backfield Thursday night and Dalton might look even worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I expected it. Thus, my 20-9 prediction Ravens over Bengals. However, I did NOT expect to see such poor coaching and poor play from almost everyone. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t and that's what this Oline is. Marvin Lewis coaches like he has been castrated. Sick

I don't want this to be true, but I fear that Dalton will be injured in the Texans game. If not, then in the Steeler's game assuming he survives until then. Cry
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:32 PM)Rattler Wrote: This franchise will never win a playoff game until Mikey Boy is planted - FACT!

42% chose the scheme around it option. Don't these people realize Marvin Lewis is the HC? He doesn't even believe in game-time adjustments let alone changing schemes LMAO
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:48 PM)Derrick Wrote: 42% chose the scheme around it option. Don't these people realize Marvin Lewis is the HC? He doesn't even believe in game-time adjustments let alone changing schemes LMAO

Only one NFL franchise dumb enough to not only employ but give a new contract and raise for -ZERO- playoff wins - EVER!  
Reply/Quote
I am shocked. I expected a better showing, at home, against a division foe. A foe that isn't, IMHO, not all that good. Maybe I just had start of season optimism but that was a football failure of biblical proportions.

Out coached, outplayed, everything. Pathetic for an opener
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 07:48 PM)Derrick Wrote: 42% chose the scheme around it option. Don't these people realize Marvin Lewis is the HC? He doesn't even believe in game-time adjustments let alone changing schemes LMAO

I chose it just because I like the word scheme  Sad

I expected a competitive game, not that shit show.  They won't fool me again Thursday.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I get 1 game a year, and I picked this piece of shit. Found myself actually focusing on our cheerleaders before it was over.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
If you aren't surprised about losing game 1 at home 20-0 then you should just quit and go be a fan over another team. Literally everyone on the team played good enough to win this game outside of Dalton. The OLine wasn't great but they played good enough to beat this Ravens team.

Watch all of these other games. Rogers and Wilson are getting rushed every single play and are having to step up their game to make plays.
Reply/Quote
I completely expected the Bengals to lose. Not just lose, but lose bad, and they did.

So many on here were so caught up in all the "hype" over players like Ross, Malone, and Mixon. I've seen plenty of daydreamers posting about how John Ross and Malone were going to "take the top off of defenses". Really? They didn't even suit up today. And then the Joe Mixon fans with how he was going to cure all that was wrong with our rushing attack. Really? 9 yards on 8 carries. Nice work, Joe. Many of those same daydreamers vehemently defended the "progress" of the likes of Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher. How did they do today?

I made my negative thoughts public, in a post a couple days back. Some were surprised. Listen up folks, I've been watching the Bengals since I was 7. That was 41 years ago. I've seen many Bengals teams, gotten excited over fools gold a few times, and rooted with all my heart in years that I was convinced that they were the real deal.

This ain't one of those years...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I completely expected the Bengals to lose.  Not just lose, but lose bad, and they did.

So many on here were so caught up in all the "hype" over players like Ross, Malone, and Mixon.  I've seen plenty of daydreamers posting about how John Ross and Malone were going to "take the top off of defenses".  Really?  They didn't even suit up today.  And then the Joe Mixon fans with how he was going to cure all that was wrong with our rushing attack.  Really? 9 yards on 8 carries.  Nice work, Joe.  Many of those same daydreamers vehemently defended the "progress" of the likes of Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher.  How did they do today?

I made my negative thoughts public, in a post a couple days back.  Some were surprised.  Listen up folks, I've been watching the Bengals since I was 7.  That was 41 years ago.  I've seen many Bengals teams, gotten excited over fools gold a few times, and rooted with all my heart in years that I was convinced that they were the real deal.

Regarding Mixon, this is the NFL.... the line has to open holes for any back, he can't just create a hole each time by running over guys in the NFL like they're 90 pound girls.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 08:58 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Regarding Mixon, this is the NFL.... the line has to open holes for any back, he can't just create a hole each time by running over guys in the NFL like they're 90 pound girls.

That's funny, and appropriate.  However, Gio Bernard averaged nearly 6 YPC, and Hill even managed to get some positive yards.  But Joe, Joe was supposed to be the savior that cured what was wrong with the rushing attack.  If you ask me, Joe should become the OL's biggest cheerleader to work hard and improve, as he will benefit most, at this point..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I completely expected the Bengals to lose.  Not just lose, but lose bad, and they did.

So many on here were so caught up in all the "hype" over players like Ross, Malone, and Mixon.  I've seen plenty of daydreamers posting about how John Ross and Malone were going to "take the top off of defenses".  Really?  They didn't even suit up today.  And then the Joe Mixon fans with how he was going to cure all that was wrong with our rushing attack.  Really? 9 yards on 8 carries.  Nice work, Joe.  Many of those same daydreamers vehemently defended the "progress" of the likes of Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher.  How did they do today?

I made my negative thoughts public, in a post a couple days back.  Some were surprised.  Listen up folks, I've been watching the Bengals since I was 7.  That was 41 years ago.  I've seen many Bengals teams, gotten excited over fools gold a few times, and rooted with all my heart in years that I was convinced that they were the real deal.

I watched the Bills game with friends up here, recorded this one. I haven't felt right about them all year, hence my scant presence on here. I really can't put my finger on it, but like Sunset; it's a feeling you get after many years of watching Bengals teams, I just wasn't "feeling it" coming into the season. I did watch Whitworth and his team look great, albeit against the lowly Colts. And they say a new coach can't make a difference? Young guy was TALKING to his players every time they came off the field, and the whole team was up and ready to play! The downside of that, is we did get rid of Marvin, he would probably be replaced with somebody already on the staff, which would fix nothing. Reserving anymore judgement until I actually watch this train wreck for myself, if I can make it through it.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 09:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's funny, and appropriate.  However, Gio Bernard averaged nearly 6 YPC, and Hill even managed to get some positive yards.  But Joe, Joe was supposed to be the savior that cured what was wrong with the rushing attack.  If you ask me, Joe should become the OL's biggest cheerleader to work hard and improve, as he will benefit most, at this point..
True and as I'm sure you know... The fans hype up our draft picks every year and act as if no other team is also looking at a new group of young talent.
Reply/Quote
If you lived through the 90's as a fan nothing will shock you with this team!
Reply/Quote

I really thought the Bengals would eek out a win today. I didn't think it would be pretty or by much, but I thought they'd win.

Having said that I had no illusions the Bengals were gonna run away with the AFC this season. And I've been screaming for months the O-line would be our downfall, as have many others, and I'm pretty sure we all were correct.

I've tried hard to try and believe but today convinced me my thoughts were correct. What ails this team can't be fixed by trading for a new QB, picking up some linemen off the waiver wire, firing the OC and getting another one, Marvin retiring at the end of the season or next years draft.

The thing that has to change can't be fixed ! 
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 09:22 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: True and as I'm sure you know... The fans hype up our draft picks every year and act as if no other team is also looking at a new group of young talent.

I do know, I've been around the block a time or two.  However, I'm also smart enough to know that a guy like Mixon could have been had in likely the 3rd or 4th round this year.  His past legal issues are a sore point with the general public in relation to the NFL, in the current state of affairs.  Personally, I didn't think that he was THAT great at Oklahoma.  He was part of running back by committee, and got the bulk of his numbers in games where he matched up better than his counterpart.  

Frankly, I wasn't comfortable with the team selecting him, by virtue of his past legal issues.  I thought that the team could have selected just as a dynamic back in a later round. (take a look at Kareem Hunt, for example)  But, since the team did indeed select him, I'm obligated by fanhood to forgive and forget about his past transgressions.  (especially since I'm a fan and the team also includes guys like Adam Jones, did include Rey Maualuga, and likely a few other womanizers)  However, slapping a ho that picks the fight with you, and stalking someone into an establishment and proceeding to punch her out, are two entirely different things in my mind..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I do know, I've been around the block a time or two.  However, I'm also smart enough to know that a guy like Mixon could have been had in likely the 3rd or 4th round this year.  His past legal issues are a sore point with the general public in relation to the NFL, in the current state of affairs.  Personally, I didn't think that he was THAT great at Oklahoma.  He was part of running back by committee, and got the bulk of his numbers in games where he matched up better than his counterpart.  

Frankly, I wasn't comfortable with the team selecting him, by virtue of his past legal issues.  I thought that the team could have selected just as a dynamic back in a later round. (take a look at Kareem Hunt, for example)  But, since the team did indeed select him, I'm obligated by fanhood to forgive and forget about his past transgressions.  (especially since I'm a fan and the team also includes guys like Adam Jones, did include Rey Maualuga, and likely a few other womanizers)  However, slapping a ho that picks the fight with you, and stalking someone into an establishment and proceeding to punch her out, are two entirely different things in my mind..
In your mind maybe, not in the masterminds that run the Bengals though. It's going to be a long, long season. It looks like the team has come full circle and they're back to being a very bad team again. Mike totally ignored the offensive trenches and you just can't win consistently without push.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 10:11 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: In your mind maybe, not in the masterminds that run the Bengals though. It's going to be a long, long season. It looks like the team has come full circle and they're back to being a very bad team again. Mike totally ignored the offensive trenches and you just can't win consistently without push.

Agreed.  This team currently has no mojo.  Going to take more than a pep talk to get them to win.

Truth is, they don't have the personnel up front, or the coaches to properly manage them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote