Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who is our backup QB?
Tiger

I left it blank because I don't know.
If.....Who takes over
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I understand your question, but if the Klingons take over it will be Jazeet Kraag from Nedulan-6.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 02:07 AM)fredtoast Wrote: TigerNot sure if I understand your question, but if the Klingons take over it will be Jazeet Kraag from Nedulan-6.

Tiger

Thats funny Fred Spock but say our guy goes down early November for four weeks and Pittsburgh isn't on the schedule. Can he go on the road and win? We don't know because we don't have a proven veteran that has.
My only point Fred. Now outside of the emotions we have to take into consideration that guys get hurt and in some cases could costs a franchise a season. Is there a Ryan Fitzpatrick available? Get him signed! I mean seriously I only know that he beat Pittsburgh. That was enough three years ago but now not so much...This thread won't be a favorite nor should it be until your talking to Johnnie Walker for advice.
Reply/Quote
I actually agree that we need a better back up QB.

But we are not going to get one. This is Allen's third season. If they were interested in upgrading they would have done it before now.

Allen has won 2 games as a starter. In those two games he completed 72% of 57 passes for 564 yards, 4 tds, 0 int and a 126.6 passer rating

In the other 12 games he has played (0-7 as starter) he has completed 52% of 203 passes for 1025 yards, 4 tds, 6 ints, and a 60.5 passer rating.

He stinks. I don't want us to spend a big chunk of money on a back up, but we could do better than Brandon Allen
Reply/Quote
There are 52 QBs with at least 250 pass attempts over the last 3 seasons.

Brandon Allen's 77.5 passer rating ranks 45th out of 53.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 03:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually agree that we need a better back up QB.

But we are not going to get one.  This is Allen's third season.  If they were interested in upgrading they would have done it before now.

Allen has won 2 games as a starter.  In those two games he completed 72% of 57 passes for 564 yards, 4 tds, 0 int and a 126.6 passer rating

In the other 12 games he has played (0-7 as starter) he has completed 52% of 203 passes for 1025 yards, 4 tds, 6 ints, and a 60.5 passer rating.

He stinks.  I don't want us to spend a big chunk of money on a back up, but we could do better than Brandon Allen

Tiger

I was never sold on Brandon Allen but Joe vouched to keep him a job likely. If I were the starter I would too because its job security if I'm in a position of leverage.
Many people here think that with this team reaching a SB last season means that it just magically appears again because Joe said he won't tolerate losing. I'll say it again. I love the new additions along the offensive line but the current backups played the music last season along the offensive line.  All if not most of those guys played deep into January. (2nd season)
Who got better?
Reply/Quote
I agreed when he went out for the OT coin toss even though he lost. It's the Gallagher theory. "Why send out the team captains? Why not send out the luckiest guy on the team?"

Without a doubt, the luckiest guy on the team is Brandon Allen because he shouldn't be anywhere near an NFL Roster.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I think we should get Nick Foles but it sounds like he's about to sign with the colts
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The first few times I watched Allen, he reminded me of Kitna. The kid took a beating and kept getting back up and playing good ball. I think I carried that opinion for 1-2 games. Then my hopes for him fell off a cliff. He needs replaced with someone more consistent and someone the team can rally behind if things get salty.

Reply/Quote
Brandon Allen was good 2020 against Texans. He played decent week 18 against Browns. The 2020 start against Ravens he was awful not many QBS would have played well against Ravens in 2020. I would take Allen over Brissette. Difficult to get ahigh end backup with an MVP caliber starter because only way he plays is if game is meaningless or Burrow is hurt
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 11:38 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote:  I would take Allen over Brissette. 

I believe Brissette is much better than Allen.

Better passer, but especially much better with his legs.
Reply/Quote
I'll worry more about the backup QB when we have been to the playoffs multiple years in a row. For now, we need to stay focused on getting players that will see the field regularly.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 04:29 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I was never sold on Brandon Allen but Joe vouched to keep him a job likely. If I were the starter I would too because its job security if I'm in a position of leverage.
Many people here think that with this team reaching a SB last season means that it just magically appears again because Joe said he won't tolerate losing. I'll say it again. I love the new additions along the offensive line but the current backups played the music last season along the offensive line.  All if not most of those guys played deep into January. (2nd season)
Who got better?

Sometimes it's about the backup being able to see things from the sideline or film room and help relay that information, like having an extra QB coach in your pocket.  I'm all for getting a guy with better talent onto the PS and teaching him the system to see if he can unseat Allen, but I don't know that I am for making a change to a guy who has zero experience in the system and can't really help from the sideline.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow goes down, the Bengals are in big trouble. I agree we need a better backup QB. Not sure who is available. Maybe we can sign a veteran.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It's obvious who needs to be JB's backup:

[Image: joe-burrow-outfit-feature.jpg?w=1024]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_op74c2KAnA1wn97huo1_500.gifv]

(Honestly, if we NEED a backup QB, we're all going to be drowning our sorrows in so much alcohol we won't remember who it was anyway.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Do we have below average backup QB? Yes. But even Green Bay with Jordan Love is much worse if Aaron Rodgers goes down.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's obvious who needs to be JB's backup:

[Image: joe-burrow-outfit-feature.jpg?w=1024]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Okay. I have to give this some rep.
Reply/Quote
Does it even matter? If Burrow goes down, we are ******..
Reply/Quote
I just logged into Bengals.com and can you believe it? They have yet to announce Joe Burrow will be my backup this season.. Probably just a technical glitch..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote