Poll: Who will be the offensive MVP in 2017-18?
This poll is closed.
Andy Dalton
51.16%
22 51.16%
AJ Green
25.58%
11 25.58%
Tyler Eifert
2.33%
1 2.33%
Joe Mixon
13.95%
6 13.95%
John Ross
4.65%
2 4.65%
Other (explain)
2.33%
1 2.33%
Total 43 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Bengals Offensive MVP in 2017-18?
I am not very good at "polls", etc., but I wanted to take the pulse of the board and see who folks are predicting as the Bengal's offensive MVP.

There are lots of choices. You could go Dalton, the Ringmaster of it all. AJ Green is a safe choice...dude was unstoppable before injury last year. Eifert if he stays healthy could surely be the huge red zone guy. And what of the RBs? Will Mixon hurt opponents in both the rushing attack and through the air? Will he take advantage of defenses playing off Ross and AJ? The Road Runner? Meep Meep! John Ross has mercurial speed, and can change direction on a dime. Is there an outsider? Is someone going to go out on a limb and say Gio will come back as the second coming of Barry Sanders? Will Jeremy Hill find his rookie form in his contract year? Will Tyler Boyd become the new TJ Houshmanzadeh and catch 100 balls?

My vote is Ross. He will help to open up the run game, burn teams deep with simple screens where a missed tackle results in a 90 yard TD, and help others like AJ, Eifert, Boyd, enjoy less attention from opposing defenses. I am all in on Ross.

What say you?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My problem with AJ Green is that Dalton can't throw a deep pass. That excludes Dalton too then. The offensive line has some issues this year which will affect the running game. Thus, I'm going with Ross because he will outrun coverage and have a breakout year. Green will be double covered most of the time too.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:20 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My problem with AJ Green is that Dalton can't throw a deep pass. 

Are you on drugs, or do you just not watch Bengals games?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Off MVP- Green
Off ROY- Mixon
Def MVP- Burfict
Def ROY- Lawson
ST MVP- B. Wilson- I hope this kid makes the 53 man roster. I think he can be better than Jabrill Peppers.

Come back player- Bernard

If Billings and WJ3 are the real deal, look out. As much as this team has let me down over and over, I'm actually really excited about this season.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not very good at "polls", etc., but I wanted to take the pulse of the board and see who folks are predicting as the Bengal's offensive MVP.

There are lots of choices.  You could go Dalton, the Ringmaster of it all.  AJ Green is a safe choice...dude was unstoppable before injury last year.  Eifert if he stays healthy could surely be the huge red zone guy.  And what of the RBs?  Will Mixon hurt opponents in both the rushing attack and through the air?  Will he take advantage of defenses playing off Ross and AJ?  The Road Runner?  Meep Meep!  John Ross has mercurial speed, and can change direction on a dime.  Is there an outsider?  Is someone going to go out on a limb and say Gio will come back as the second coming of Barry Sanders?  Will Jeremy Hill find his rookie form in his contract year?  Will Tyler Boyd become the new TJ Houshmanzadeh and catch 100 balls?

My vote is Ross.  He will help to open up the run game, burn teams deep with simple screens where a missed tackle results in a 90 yard TD, and help others like AJ, Eifert, Boyd, enjoy less attention from opposing defenses.  I am all in on Ross.  

What say you?
Tough choice.......  I'll answer later  ThumbsUp
(07-09-2017, 10:20 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My problem with AJ Green is that Dalton can't throw a deep pass. That excludes Dalton too then. The offensive line has some issues this year which will affect the running game. Thus, I'm going with Ross because he will outrun coverage and have a breakout year. Green will be double covered most of the time too.

Have you not watched a game since 2014?   

Dalton did admittedly have troubles with his arm strength when he entered the league and in his first few seasons, but, after working with Tom House, he's had a gun and has had no troubles throwing the deep ball.

(07-09-2017, 10:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are you on drugs, or do you just not watch Bengals games?

Like I said, it USED to be a problem, but like Dalton throws a 50+ yard bomb here, which isn't TOO long, but, when considering that he was on the run, it's not too shabby.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Eifert in a contract year.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Same answer pretty much every year since 2012. Dalton.

Green has missed a total of 11 games in 2014 and 2016 combined. We were 6-5-1 in those games and Dalton had an 86.7 rating. Dalton without Green has been better than Green without Dalton.

In the 4 games Dalton missed, Green's numbers took a big hit. He averaged only 4 catches for 65 yards, which would round out to 64 catches for 1040 yards for a full season...which would be career low numbers for a full season. Dalton's numbers in those 12 games would come out to almost 3700 yards, 23 total TD's and the 86.7 rating...which aren't too far from his career averages.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
AJ is money in the bank when healthy, so I have no reason not to give him the nod.

I'm pretty interested to see what Mixon does though. People who watch him in practice act like he's the second coming.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are you on drugs, or do you just not watch Bengals games?

Why is it an "or"?
[Image: Why_not_both.jpg]

Dalton 40+yd passing play rankings...
2016: 3rd
2015: 8th (in 12+ games)
2014: 18th
2013: 1st
2012: 3rd
2011: 8th

Bengals have never lacked in large passing plays with Dalton, with the odd exception of Hue's first year as OC in 2014. That might have been because they actually had an effective running game for once that year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon will be key in establishing the run and keeping defenses honest because I think he'll force defenses to stack the box, so, in that sense, it could be him, but I also just don't trust our line to give him the holes to be MVP.

I think Ross could also put up some big plays and just be a consistent receiver for Dalton.

However, those two doing their jobs to keep defenses honest and off balance will just allow AJ to have a huge season and be our MVP.
Reply/Quote
I voted Dalton. If Ross can live up to the hype, and AJ and Eifert can stay healthy, Dalton could end up having a career year.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 10:20 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: My problem with AJ Green is that Dalton can't throw a deep pass. That excludes Dalton too then. The offensive line has some issues this year which will affect the running game. Thus, I'm going with Ross because he will outrun coverage and have a breakout year. Green will be double covered most of the time too.

Pretty far off base, GOTT.  Dalton has a great deep pass.  If they didn't throw it a lot last year, it had more to do with personnel drawing coverage from AJ (or a lack thereof).  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Same answer pretty much every year since 2012. Dalton.

Green has missed a total of 11 games in 2014 and 2016 combined. We were 6-5-1 in those games and Dalton had an 86.7 rating. Dalton without Green has been better than Green without Dalton.

In the 4 games Dalton missed, Green's numbers took a big hit. He averaged only 4 catches for 65 yards, which would round out to 64 catches for 1040 yards for a full season...which would be career low numbers for a full season. Dalton's numbers in those 12 games would come out to almost 3700 yards, 23 total TD's and the 86.7 rating...which aren't too far from his career averages.

Excellent point.  I was close to selecting Dalton, too, but I feel it is Ross that will help this entire offense go from good to elite.  Dalton may actually win MVP this year...
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill... WHAAAAAAT
Reply/Quote
With Ross and AJ keeping safeties honest and Mixon bringing attention to the running game.

Believe Tyler Eiffert is in line for a monster year.

If he can stay healthy that is.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: With Ross and AJ keeping safeties honest and Mixon bringing attention to the running game.

Believe Tyler Eiffert is in line for a monster year.

If he can stay healthy that is.

...followed by Eifert going elsewhere in FA next year (perhaps Cleveland?)...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ...followed by Eifert going elsewhere in FA next year (perhaps Cleveland?)...

Last year the TE franchise tag was $9.1m.

If Eifert has a monster healthy season, tagging him is no issue at all. A second year would be ~$11m, which isn't as much as it seems considering just this offseason the TE market got destroyed by a ton of random TE getting $7m/yr+ contracts.

Think of it as basically two 1yr/$10m contracts, which he can earn if he stays healthy and productive, or don't get if he's not. It's really the best route for the Bengals rather than a long term deal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Okay all you homers. Show me the stats on Dalton throwing 50+ yard passes the last few years. I watch the games and saw very few of them. Look at Manning passing deep all the time to his receivers. I recall a hail mary last year, but tell me more.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 01:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last year the TE franchise tag was $9.1m.

If Eifert has a monster healthy season, tagging him is no issue at all. A second year would be ~$11m, which isn't as much as it seems considering just this offseason the TE market got destroyed by a ton of random TE getting $7m/yr+ contracts.

Think of it as basically two 1yr/$10m contracts, which he can earn if he stays healthy and productive, or don't get if he's not. It's really the best route for the Bengals rather than a long term deal.

I get that, but I just don't see Mike Brown paying two offensive weapons $9+ mill a year.
I'm preparing my pitchfork for when Brown allows Eifert to walk only to re-sign Bodine instead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2017, 10:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Jeremy Hill... WHAAAAAAT

https://youtu.be/eaIyvfRYef8
Reply/Quote