Poll: Who is the best damn 3rd corner in the NFL?
18th overall draft pick of 2007
Leon Hall
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the best damn 3rd corner in the NFL?
What a luxury to have a guy like Hall out there on the field as your 3rd corner. I don't think the guy has lost much, and could easily step up if we suffer an injury.
Reply/Quote
A lot of people don't give Hall the benefit of the doubt for last season like they have Geno even though he was coming back from a major injury as well.
Reply/Quote
I've always been a big fan.
Reply/Quote
Chris Harris is really good. So is Brandon Boykin. As is Casey Hayward.

I'm assuming you mean nickel corner, correct?

Because all 3 play nickel and definitely have shown that they are among the best.

Yes, Hall has played good so far, but it's been two games. Last year there were some red flags with him. I hope he continues to play as well. But you can't talk about nickel CB without talking about those 3 as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 01:20 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I've always been a big fan.

(09-23-2015, 02:10 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Chris Harris is really good. So is Brandon Boykin. As is Casey Hayward.

I'm assuming you mean nickel corner, correct?

Because all 3 play nickel and definitely have shown that they are among the best.

Yes, Hall has played good so far, but it's been two games. Last year there were some red flags with him. I hope he continues to play as well. But you can't talk about nickel CB without talking about those 3 as well.

yeah, nickel corner - Leon is money in the bank
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 02:31 AM)Utts Wrote: yeah, nickel corner - Leon is money in the bank

He has done well and certainly surprised me thus far. Hope it continues.
Reply/Quote
Per PFF:
Cornerback Leon Hall has a yards per coverage snap of 0.33 when in the slot, which is the best for all cornerbacks with at least 30 snaps in the slot.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad we switched him to CB3. He was a liability against 1s and 2s.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 07:29 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm glad we switched him to CB3. He was a liability against 1s and 2s.

i agree
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 07:29 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm glad we switched him to CB3. He was a liability against 1s and 2s.

You're a liability in factual based conversation.

Leon has played a lot of nickle CB over the years. This isn't his first rodeo in the role. He's playing the same position he's been great at. He just happened to have 1 medium season last year after a couple bad injuries.

Let's stop pretending they switched his position because they felt he was a liability.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:14 AM)Utts Wrote: What a luxury to have a guy like Hall out there on the field as your 3rd corner. I don't think the guy has lost much, and could easily step up if we suffer an injury.

I honestly thought this was going to be a poll between Hall and Dennard.

Hall has been very solid and I am pleased with what we have seen out of Dennard albeit in limited action. 

It is somewhat surprising that when I have seen Dennard that the opposing QB hasn't gone to his man.  I've tried to isolate him and it seems he has been pretty good so far.  I'm hoping for a few more blowouts where he can get lots of game experience as the opposition would have to be airing it out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 07:36 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You're a liability in factual based conversation.

Leon has played a lot of nickle CB over the years. This isn't his first rodeo in the role. He's playing the same position he's been great at. He just happened to have 1 medium season last year after a couple bad injuries.

Let's stop pretending they switched his position because they felt he was a liability.

*rep *

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:14 AM)Utts Wrote: What a luxury to have a guy like Hall out there on the field as your 3rd corner. I don't think the guy has lost much, and could easily step up if we suffer an injury.

Not much to add here.....agree 100%.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 12:18 AM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: A lot of people don't give Hall the benefit of the doubt for last season like they have Geno even though he was coming back from a major injury as well.

well a knee injury most come back from

Achilles many dont especially WRs and DBs and he was coming back from his second.

But yeah.. Hall is still playing good and thats good to see considering what we are paying the man.

But what about having Dennard behind him... so deep
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 07:36 AM)djs7685 Wrote: You're a liability in factual based conversation.

This.  People are down on Hall because he had a season that was less than what we were used to out of him.  He had a down year, but it is not indicative of a larger problem.  If he has another down year this season, I'll be a bit worried, but I won't just assume that it will happen.

Leon's big strength has been as a nickel CB for a while now.  The nickel CB is more of a "3rd starter" now anyway, they just play more often on a slot-style receiver.  Over the last 4 seasons, he's top 5 in yards allowed per target in the entire league.  The guy is great, and rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote

If Pacman or Kirkpatrick get injured, Hall will still probably play the slot, and they'd move Dennard out to cover the X or Y, instead of moving Hall to the X or Y and putting Dennard in the slot.

The team knows his strengths and will play him to maximize his ability.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Where is all the posts about cutting Hall?

And I agree with Cupcake. Dennard is the next outside guy.

If they sign Jones again he will probably take Hall's role when Dennard is ready next year or later.
Reply/Quote

I think Leon is perfectly suited to covering the slot. His tackling skills, coverage ability, and instincts are unassailable, IMO. What he somewhat lacks is verticality. Not usually a problem against your Wes Welkers of the world, but can be a problem on larger feature receivers.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 10:41 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Where is all the posts about cutting Hall?

And I agree with Cupcake. Dennard is the next outside guy.

If they sign Jones again he will probably take Hall's role when Dennard is ready next year or later.

Thinking about cutting hall over the offseason was prefectly reasonable if you look at the price tag and what you got last season and who you have waiting.... But he was sharp in camp/preseason it took about this long to recover last time for him too.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad to see not everyone is ready to throw every player under the bus whenever they have an off season or even an off game. Maybe it's just me, but it used to seem like any player who didn't have the perfect game every single game there were always a bunch of people who wanted them cut immediately. Leon has been a great player for quite some time now, but there are people here or at least on the old board who thought anyone over 30 was ready for the scrap heap AS IF 30 were the new 70.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote