Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the best football you’ve seen play?
Ngl guys I’m at my job bored and want to have a convo.

No real limits to this question. Also it’s not restricted to guys you’ve seen LIVE. The wording was a bit confusing .

Can be anyone you’ve seen on TV.

Iv got 2 categories

First one is FOR ONE GAME

Second is all time.

So the best guy Iv seen have one good game was Joe Burrow in college in the championship game VS Clemson. Iv never seen a QB be that accurate and that correct with every read.

He was 31-49 5 pass TDs and 1 rush TD. Looking at the box score seeing he has 18 incompletions doesn’t even feel right with how he dominated but to me that was the best individual game I’d ever seen one guy play.

Then for the all time best football player Iv ever seen it’s between Brady, Ray Lewis and Darrell Revis.

I’d go for Revis.

Iv never seen a guy dominate the secondary like him. He’s better than Woodson, Polomalu, Reed, everyone.

Revis could play nickle, boundary, he also had some Mike Hilton in him VS the run. He was so good it was honestly a bad idea to even throw it to his side of the field. I don’t think i have seen another football player be so good at so many things.

Only reason Ray Lewis didn’t win is because he was really that dominate against the pass.

But Ray Lewis is my fave linebacker ever tho. Iv never seen a guy be able to get involved in so many tackles. He was a football genius for sure.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Best game. I was at the game Corey set the single game rushing record.

Barry Sanders off the top of my head.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Best football performance I've seen was Vince Young in the National Championship Game
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I was at Burrow 525 yard performance vs. the Ravens in 2021

I'll go with that one even if it was against a crap secondary.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Burrow was even better in the 1v4 game.

Best single game could be a bunch, but to keep it Bengals-specific, the '09 game against the Bears.

Total domination by Benson AND Carsone; there was something magical about that day.

All-time, would be between the masterclass that was Peyton Manning, the brick wall that was Nate Newton/Larry Allen/Erik Williams or the animal-like ability of either Randy Moss or JerrybRice
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 12:08 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I was at Burrow 525 yard performance vs. the Ravens in 2021

I'll go with that one even if it was against a crap secondary.

That was factored in and why i made the choice i made

I also wanted to contemplate Jamarr Chase VS Chiefs when he basically beat them by himself but i gave that game to Burrow.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 12:27 AM)Housh Wrote: I also wanted to contemplate Jamarr Chase VS Chiefs when he basically beat them by himself but i gave that game to Burrow.

Chase had more yards than Mahomes in that game. It was definitely the first thing that came to my mind for best performance.

As for best player it would be easy to pick a QB like Peyton or Brady, but I think I’ll go another direction and say Ed Reed. He was just so insanely good when I first got really into football.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2023, 11:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Best game. I was at the game Corey set the single game rushing record.

Barry Sanders off the top of my head.

Barry Sanders was unbelievable with the ball in his hands! Probably my favorite RB of all time.
Best football player I personally have ever seen in person, I was 8 and got to go watch Archie Griffin put on a clinic against Minnesota... Unbelievable how elusive he was!
Reply/Quote
Couple of you picking Ravens players? Hey they were great but they were Ravens…hope you guys washed your hands after typing those posts.

All time performance - Burrow and Young in college are great choices but I will go with Barry Sanders in the Holiday Bowl. Don’t remember the details but I just remember thinking that I was watching an all time greatest performance while it was happening.
Just looked it up and Barry had 222 yards rushing and 5 TDs in that game!

Greatest player is a tough one. Lawrence Taylor, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Tom Brady all come to mind.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 03:17 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Couple of you picking Ravens players? Hey they were great but they were Ravens…hope you guys washed your hands after typing those posts.

All time performance - Burrow and Young in college are great choices but I will go with Barry Sanders in the Holiday Bowl. Don’t remember the details but I just remember thinking that I was watching an all time greatest performance while it was happening.

Greatest player is a tough one. Lawrence Taylor, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Tom Brady all come to mind.

Is picking a 49ers player any better? We have 0 Super Bowl wins because of them.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 03:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is picking a 49ers player any better? We have 0 Super Bowl wins because of them.

You got me there…I knew I should have left him out.

Here’s the “evidence” for me selecting Sanders Holiday Bowl game as the best performance I have ever seen. Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXRHrm5lRk&pp=ygUaQmFycnkgc2FuZGVycyBob2xpZGF5IGJvd2w%3D
Reply/Quote
All time best player I have ever seen was Barry Sanders. No other back was like him. The other team knew he was getting the ball and he would still produce. Watching him make guys miss the moment he got the hand off and then breaking free was just wild to witness.

The only other guy I can think of was Bo Jackson before his injury. Dude was just built different, if he doesn't get hurt he would have broken every rushing record around.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
As unpopular as it may be, OJ Simpson deserves a mention among greatest players ever.

His 1973 season included 2003 yards rushing which made him the 1st to eclipse 2000.

Back then it was just a 14 game season. That gave him an average of 143.1 ypg which still stands as the all-time record for a season.
Reply/Quote
Doug Flutie against the Miami Hurricanes for best game.

Walter Payton on best ever.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I don't have the best memory lol

But in college at least the Vince Young / Reggie Bush year was bananas. I think that's always going to be on the tops of peoples list.

LSU Burrow was obviously the GOAT performance out of no where. Bengals sucking and being able to get Burrow changed our franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 06:01 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: All time best player I have ever seen was Barry Sanders. No other back was like him. The other team knew he was getting the ball and he would still produce. Watching him make guys miss the moment he got the hand off and then breaking free was just wild to witness.

The only other guy I can think of was Bo Jackson before his injury. Dude was just built different, if he doesn't get hurt he would have broken every rushing record around.

I don't think he would have, no. However, that shouldn't diminish his legacy. He was already 28 when he got hurt and only had 2,700 career rushing yards in four seasons. The Raiders had Marcus Allen at the time and they didn't run a guy as a bellcow, splitting between Jackson and Allen. Jackson was too old to challenge any career rushing records and he wasn't getting the volume necessary. His final season was also Emmitt's first season. He didn't have a chance. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 11:32 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't think he would have, no. However, that shouldn't diminish his legacy. He was already 28 when he got hurt and only had 2,700 career rushing yards in four seasons. The Raiders had Marcus Allen at the time and they didn't run a guy as a bellcow, splitting between Jackson and Allen. Jackson was too old to challenge any career rushing records and he wasn't getting the volume necessary. His final season was also Emmitt's first season. He didn't have a chance. 

I wasn't born yet to watch Bo Jackson but his stats are not very good. My opinion doesn't hold much weight as I didn't get to see him play but seems to be more hype than production.  He had 2 seasons under 600 rushing yards and never eclipsed 1K in a season in a rushing league...
Reply/Quote
While he never had 1000-yard seasons because he was a fullback, if I was picking someone to give the ball to for 3rd and goal from the 7, I'm going with no one but the A-Train.
Reply/Quote
David Fulcher played his heart out after Krumrie went down or Ken Anderson freezer bowl

Walter Payton is the goat
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 11:37 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I wasn't born yet to watch Bo Jackson but his stats are not very good. My opinion doesn't hold much weight as I didn't get to see him play but seems to be more hype than production.  He had 2 seasons under 600 rushing yards and never eclipsed 1K in a season in a rushing league...

Yeah, he was before my time, too. I am 31. However, I have gone back and watched several of his games. He was undoubtedly a great running back. However, he started late (rookie at 25) and wasn't THE guy during his career. Marcus Allen was. Marcus is a Hall of Famer, so it is hard to pin that on Bo but yeah, his production doesn't come anywhere close to matching his legacy. 

His legacy, IMO, was as potentially the best athlete ever. He has an argument there depending on how you want to look at it. He was both a productive MLB player and NFL player. When you watch him, you can see he was that dude, but when people start trying to say he was the greatest ever or that he would have broken all the rushing records I think it is awfully misplaced. 
Reply/Quote