Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Who is the guy we are building the defense around for the next cycle?
CTB and Logan Wilson are my favorites with Battle gaining ground.

Not as down on Dax as some though and still believe he is a big part of the future and even think Turner will turn the corner too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 02:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Bell was signed for vet minimum; so it's not like the Bengals signed him to a massive contract. Bell could start or he could be on PS squad this year.

Eh, getting Bell back was a windfall, not unlike Russel Wilson choosing the Steelers as his team to play for on the Bronco's dime.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wilson and Pratt both kind of fell victim to the D line woes last year and the problems with the secondary. They were kind of stuck between the two in coverage and playing the run..Tough to blame them for all the problems.. They'll be fine.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At what point does the Trey H disrespect stop?

Hes that guy and he has been for 2 seasons

Usually when you have a high sack guy you want a fire secondary behind him. The Browns and Steelers are both doing this.

Way i see it as constructed maybe we can be a top 15 run D but we need to be around top 7 against the pass.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:02 PM)J24 Wrote: Over the past two off seasons we have lost 2 out of our 3 best defensive players in Bates and Reader. With Hendrickson being the only one of the big three left. Still he will be 30 years old in December and his contract will be up in 2026!

So I ask you members of the board who do you think is the guy that Duke, Lou, and Zac are building the defense around for the next 5 seasons.

The guy I think they are building around is being considered a bust by some posters. I think it's Dax Hill!

I would say it is Jordan Battle after his fine rookie season. Logan Wilson and Cameron Taylor Britt are a couple other leaders for us that
could also be great players on down the road. Both got injured last year, so we couldn't see their best at all. Trey and Sam are leaders, so 
is BJ Hill and the addition of Rankins to the DL sure was a good move and he has been around Trey a lot, same with Vonn who we brought
back to help out Geno Stone and the youth.

I think this Defense will come back with a vengeance this year and stop the run much better, tackle better and get after the QB better.

Not all Trey this year, Myles Murphy and Ossai should start to get theirs.
Reply/Quote
I don't really think they "build around" anybody. There's way too many sub packages on defense, unlike offense.

I think the leaders of this defense moving forward are Logan and Pratt.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:02 PM)J24 Wrote: Over the past two off seasons we have lost 2 out of our 3 best defensive players in Bates and Reader. With Hendrickson being the only one of the big three left. Still he will be 30 years old in December and his contract will be up in 2026!

So I ask you members of the board who do you think is the guy that Duke, Lou, and Zac are building the defense around for the next 5 seasons.

The guy I think they are building around is being considered a bust by some posters. I think it's Dax Hill!

I don't think they're necessarily building around one player. Dax needs to step up or he won't be here 5 years from now. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:20 PM)CottonHill Wrote: I’d imagine they have high hopes for Murphy. CTB is a fixture at corner as is Wilson at LB.
I’m sure they planned on it being Dax Hill but he was just replaced in FA. He will get better but doubt he’s ever good enough to count on as a foundational piece. Hopefully he can be the successor to Hilton if he can show good blitz timing and tackling.

Wilson is not him. Nor Dax. I’m hopeful with Murphy and cam
Taylor is legit
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 05:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would say it is Jordan Battle after his fine rookie season. Logan Wilson and Cameron Taylor Britt are a couple other leaders for us that
could also be great players on down the road. Both got injured last year, so we couldn't see their best at all. Trey and Sam are leaders, so 
is BJ Hill and the addition of Rankins to the DL sure was a good move and he has been around Trey a lot, same with Vonn who we brought
back to help out Geno Stone and the youth.

I think this Defense will come back with a vengeance this year and stop the run much better, tackle better and get after the QB better.

Not all Trey this year, Myles Murphy and Ossai should start to get theirs.

Still holding out hope for Ossai? Last year was puzzling to say the least.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:20 PM)jason Wrote: Still holding out hope for Ossai? Last year was puzzling to say the least.

I’m out on Ossai

I know PTSD when i see it

Dude let that one bad play ruin his whole next Offseason/season. Thats mental weakness. I first waved that red flag when Pratt publically apologized to him. Usually players don’t do that. Ossai must’ve been crying so hard Pratt had to do it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:20 PM)jason Wrote: Still holding out hope for Ossai? Last year was puzzling to say the least.

He was injured last year and he did play well in the last game of the season against the Browns.

Caused an interception with a pressure and was getting to the QB a lot.

Made me have a little hope for him. Ossai has tons of talent still, just needs to stay healthy and keep his confidence up.

(03-21-2024, 10:55 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m out on Ossai

I know PTSD when i see it

Dude let that one bad play ruin his whole next Offseason/season. Thats mental weakness. I first waved that red flag when Pratt publically apologized to him. Usually players don’t do that. Ossai must’ve been crying so hard Pratt had to do it

I think it was more than just mental weakness, he was injured as well. But yeah, sure hope that isn't the case and he is ruined by 
the one mistake. The last game against the Browns gives me some hope that isn't the case.
Reply/Quote
In a league of world class athletes Dax Hill's athleticism stands out. Don't write him off yet boys
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 07:26 PM)bonesaw Wrote: In a league of world class athletes Dax Hill's athleticism stands out. Don't write him off yet boys

Nope... You only get one season (half of which Dax was pretty damn good) to prove yourself.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 07:28 PM)jason Wrote: Nope... You only get one season (half of which Dax was pretty  damn good) to prove yourself.

DJ Turner is a bust
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 07:32 PM)Housh Wrote: I have been utterly surprised and slightly disgusted at how much shit Dax is getting.

His coaches didn’t do him favors by touting his TE coverage ability then he comes out and he’s just average at it

But that’s the NFL and last year was essentially his rookie year.

I liked his recovery speed and i liked his tackling and willingness to jump in a gap and make a run stop. It seems like
Defensive backs either got that or they don’t. I don’t think Iv ever seen a guy come in as a rookie not tackling and then become a Mike Hilton level tackler later on. For the most part the DBs that are gonna be great run still
Guys flash it early and CTB, Battle and Dax flashed that. So it feels great knowing we won’t have to worry about tackling from out secondary.

I thought Dax was overatted in coverage but that’s just my opinion.

I do believe his destined spot is slot CB but i don’t mind letting him play safety.

I'm lost on that bolded statement. What would his coaches having words to say, compared to watching his footage versus TEs not say?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 08:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: DJ Turner is a bust

Bit early for that.

Plus the secondary wasn't exactly set up for success in letting Bates and Bell go at the same time, Plugging inn Hill and an all star like Scott for leadership did the secondary no favors.

I still have high hopes for Turner,, and think he can have a nice career with the Bengals, just think throwing in the towel so soon is a knee jerk reaction. The lack of qb pressure is not helping the secondary...
Reply/Quote
Tough but good question. Trey and Reader were those guys for the SB year, but who knows for the future. I want to say that CTB. He isn't an elite yet, but could become a well rounded weapon at corner. It's a hot topic when considering the 18 pick, BPA looks like it will be OT but if they think an elite DL or CB even is there it's on the table.
Reply/Quote

Dude what? Lol

Dude was great early then slowed down

But he kept solid tacking all season and you gotta remember he wasn’t even supposed to start. Awuzie was just so ass we had to start DJ
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm lost on that bolded statement. What would his coaches having words to say, compared to watching his footage versus TEs not say?

Maybe it’s our fault for running with the narrative

It i remember them bragging about how they wanna put him on TEs and he just wasn’t that good at coverage
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Troll…
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote