Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Who is the guy we are building the defense around for the next cycle?
(03-23-2024, 07:51 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Bit early for that.

Plus the secondary wasn't exactly set up for success in letting Bates and Bell go at the same time, Plugging inn Hill and an all star like Scott for leadership did the secondary no favors.

I still have high hopes for Turner,, and think he can have a nice career with the Bengals, just think throwing in the towel so soon is a knee jerk reaction. The lack of qb pressure is not helping the secondary...

(03-23-2024, 11:21 PM)Housh Wrote: Dude what? Lol

Dude was great early then slowed down

But he kept solid tacking all season and you gotta remember he wasn’t even supposed to start. Awuzie was just so ass we had to start DJ
[Image: 200.gif?cid=6c09b95257hqnigshph5si69y1g8...0.gif&ct=g]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 11:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 200.gif?cid=6c09b95257hqnigshph5si69y1g8...0.gif&ct=g]

SOB smh

Got me
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Logan Wilson or Sam Hubbard, or if drafted, Tommy Eichenberg.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Logan Wilson or Sam Hubbard, or if drafted, Tommy Eichenberg.

If those are the guys we consider our cornerstone players, we're in trouble. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 11:25 PM)Housh Wrote: Maybe it’s our fault for running with the narrative

It i remember them bragging about how they wanna put him on TEs and he just wasn’t that good at coverage

Dax was our best player covering TE's last year, fact.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 12:16 PM)Housh Wrote: SOB smh

Got me

Was pretty funny though.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 12:21 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: If those are the guys we consider our cornerstone players, we're in trouble. 

Couldn’t agree more. Hubbard should be cut Wilson should be restructured and echinshit is not the answer.
Reply/Quote
Terrion Arnold. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:18 PM)samhain Wrote: Terrion Arnold. Ninja

Let’s gooooo. Gimme him Kingsley and Jackson
Reply/Quote
If we talkin a young guy already on the team then Iv got nothing

The answer is we simply don’t have the phenomenal guy on D that everyone else in the division has

Iv seen some CTB votes but he isn’t there yet

Also teams usually never build around corner

Even when Jets had Revis they were building that front 7 first
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 02:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This is a great question and one I had a while ago.  We really don’t have that impact player behind Hendrickson.  Maybe it is stone?  I would have thought it was Wilson, but last year was brutal.  Hopefully just an injury they slowed him down.

Remember all the other teams in our division got much better and the draft is going to help them all.Its going to come down to whoever stays healthy and I have my doubts on Burrow making it through a full season.We need a dominate defensive player out of this draft and a top O linemen that is nfl ready.I seriously believe with this division so tough, 10 or 11 wins will be all we get and I believe the ravens will win the division,just sayin.I do not believe in this team just yet to go all the way.We shall see,I so hope they do as I am running out of time being 77 years young and I am a retired decorated Vietnam veteran served with the 1st Cav in 66-67 Who-Dey Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals really would plan to use him like a Swiss army knife, I'd say maybe Dax Hill.
I don't think it would be a LB since the emphasis seems to be on DB and DL for this team.
This defense has lived and died on the performance of Hendrickson, but he's getting up there now.
My only thought other than Hill would be Murphy, but he's not in a prominent enough role yet.
A new pass rushing IDL would be fantastic to build around, personally.
Newton or Murphy in Rd 1, or Fiske on Day 2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals really would plan to use him like a Swiss army knife, I'd say maybe Dax Hill.
I don't think it would be a LB since the emphasis seems to be on DB and DL for this team.
This defense has lived and died on the performance of Hendrickson, but he's getting up there now.
My only thought other than Hill would be Murphy, but he's not in a prominent enough role yet.
A new pass rushing IDL would be fantastic to build around, personally.
Newton or Murphy in Rd 1, or Fiske on Day 2.

and/or maybe a Shut Down Corner.

The Chiefs had 2 really good Corners in 2023.

Corner Quinyon Mitchell may be a solid selection at 6 foot 195 lbs 4.33 forty - Close to 200 pounds & fast. 

FWIW Mel Kiper has him mocked at #15 to the Colts.

Being from Toledo (a smaller School) maybe Mitchell can get to pick #18.

The Bengals Defense needs a Top end Corner in my opinion and it would also improve the Depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 02:46 PM)depthchart Wrote: and/or maybe a Shut Down Corner.

The Chiefs had 2 really good Corners in 2023.

Corner Quinyon Mitchell may be a solid selection at 6 foot 195 lbs 4.33 forty - Close to 200 pounds & fast. 

FWIW Mel Kiper has him mocked at #15 to the Colts.

Being from Toledo (a smaller School) maybe Mitchell can get to pick #18.

The Bengals Defense needs a Top end Corner in my opinion and it would also improve the Depth.

Most defenses don't build around a CB though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Most defenses don't build around a CB though.

Ok

I'll say a Key Piece then.

The Chiefs Top 2 Defensive Players in 2023 were Chris Jones DT & Corner Trent McDuffie.

Having Corner Quinyon Mitchell on a 5 year rookie deal might be a Key Piece to think about.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 03:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: Ok

I'll say a Key Piece then.

The Chiefs Top 2 Defensive Players in 2023 were Chris Jones DT & Corner Trent McDuffie.

Having Corner Quinyon Mitchell on a 5 year rookie deal might be a Key Piece to think about.

I guess, but if you want the Bengals to be built more for the AFC North, the AFC North teams don't have dominant passing attacks to need a lockdown CB.
Chiefs also don't have a stud WR.

Steelers built around Watt.
Browns built around Garrett.
Ravens built in the middle - Roquan Smith and Kyle Hamilton.

An IDL specifically has been the biggest difference maker in the past few Super Bowls.
Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.
Bengals don't have a menace on the inside.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I guess, but if you want the Bengals to be built more for the AFC North, the AFC North teams don't have dominant passing attacks to need a lockdown CB.
Chiefs also don't have a stud WR.

Steelers built around Watt.
Browns built around Garrett.
Ravens built in the middle - Roquan Smith and Kyle Hamilton.

An IDL specifically has been the biggest difference maker in the past few Super Bowls.
Chris Jones and Aaron Donald.
Bengals don't have a menace on the inside.

The Ravens also have 3 time Pro Bowl Corner Marlon Humphrey (All Pro in 2019)

The Chiefs have ALL Pro Corner Trent McDuffie.

While waiting for the next Aaron Donald to become available the Bengals could add a Top Corner like the Ravens & Chiefs have..
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 04:02 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Ravens also have 3 time Pro Bowl Corner Marlon Humphrey (All Pro in 2019)

The Chiefs have ALL Pro Corner Trent McDuffie.

While waiting for the next Aaron Donald to become available the Bengals could add a Top Corner like the Ravens & Chiefs have..

Are you saying you don't think Murphy, Newton, or Fiske can be a dominant IDL and should therefore take a CB over one of them?

And/Or are you saying you don't think Turner nor Hill could end up blossoming into a really good CB?
What if Mitchell doesn't perform for most/part of his 1st year? Should the Bengals look to get yet another CB because he didn't start great immediately?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 12:08 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Let’s gooooo.  Gimme him Kingsley and Jackson

I wouldn't hate it.  He'd take the secondary from good enough to legit.  Doubt he fall to us, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Are you saying you don't think Murphy, Newton, or Fiske can be a dominant IDL and should therefore take a CB over one of them?

And/Or are you saying you don't think Turner nor Hill could end up blossoming into a really good CB?
What if Mitchell doesn't perform for most/part of his 1st year? Should the Bengals look to get yet another CB because he didn't start great immediately?

When I first responded to your Post you were mentioning Dax Hill & DT's like Murphy, Newton or Fiske.

I then replied "and/or maybe a Shut Down Corner"

In the Draft area earlier today, I Mocked Braden Fiske in round 2 to the Bengals with Quinyon Mitchell in round 1.

Murphy in round one would be fine with me over Newton but Newton could work for me also.

If Quinyon Mitchell was selected by the Bengals, I would anticipate that he would become better than Turner or Hill.

More than 2 Corners can be on the Field in various packages and the Group as a whole would be better (IMO) 

Plus an injury or two to the Corner Group won't hurt the Team as bad.

A Corner in round 1 is an option to me. (maybe not to you & that is fine -or- you may like another 1st round Corner better)
Reply/Quote