Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the heir to DC?
Anarumo could make DEN potentially scary if they decide Sean Payton isn't their guy (doesn't seem to be).
He knows how to adjust to good offenses like KC, LAC, SF, and BUF.
Or maybe LAC or CLE if they are unhappy with their HCs getting them close but not quite far enough given all the talent they have.

As for who Bengals have as heir, I don't know any of the position coaches, honestly.
Probably Bettcher as some have said. He's done a pretty good job with the LBs, and he's been DC before with ARZ and NYG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anarumo could make DEN potentially scary if they decide Sean Payton isn't their guy (doesn't seem to be).
Or maybe LAC or CLE if they are unhappy with their HCs getting them close but not quite far enough given all the talent they have.

As for who Bengals have as heir, I don't know any of the position coaches, honestly.
Probably Bettcher as some have said. He's done a pretty good job with the LBs, and he's been DC before with ARZ and NYG.

I could see him going to the Chargers (assuming Chargers decided to move on from Staly). It seems to me their issues are more on the defensive side than offense. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:21 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I could see him going to the Chargers (assuming Chargers decided to move on from Staly). It seems to me their issues are more on the defensive side than offense. 

That's what I was thinking, although they do have to worry about life after Keenan Allen (and Austin Ekeler?).
Will Herbert, Williams, and Johnston be enough with a new TE and/or RB probably coming in the draft?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tony Romo was certainly pushing Lou as a head coach during the 49ers game:

"This defense, I told you, when it gets to the fourth quarter, they get better," Romo said late in the fourth quarter of the Bengals' 31-17 Week 8 win. "Lou Anarumo, you are gonna be a head coach next year. I'm telling everyone in the NFL. He stands out to me."

"A lot of people thought (Anarumo) had the Arizona (head-coaching) job last year," play-by-play announcer Jim Nantz added.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/10/29/cbs-tony-romo-says-lou-anarumo-will-be-nfl-head-coach-next-year/71376482007/
Reply/Quote
Dick Lebau left Pitt as DC and moved on to Cincy where he was DB and HC. He washed out as a HC. After a 10-Year absence, he returned to Pitt at the age of 67 to finish his HoF Career.

Mike Zimmer has been gone 10 years and is 67. Welcome back Z-fence.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dick Lebau left Pitt as DC and moved on to Cincy where he was DB and HC. He washed out as a HC. After a 10-Year absence, he returned to Pitt at the age of 67 to finish his HoF Career.

Mike Zimmer has been gone 10 years and is 67. Welcome back Z-fence.

major downgrade imo. And thats more of how highly I think of Lou. Zimmer's defenses arent as disciplined 

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bettcher struggled as DC for Arizona. I think he'll go with Lou and be his DC.

My vote would be Livingston. He knows everyone's system from Marvin's - Zimmer's - Lou's and should be ready to take over. Safety and secondary play has long been strong under his tutelage.

Bettcher still has a better resume' than Lou had before coming here even if he did struggle in Zona, Lou struggled here his first year
and now the players are in place for Bettcher to take over and I think that was the plan all along and why Bettcher came here in the 
first place. I am with others though, that Lou will stick around as our DC unless there is a surprise fire from a good team and they 
offer him a HC job. Still agree with others that Offensive minded coaches are what is wanted most now.
Reply/Quote
Bettcher is the only in house option, in my opinion. When Lou was in the running for the Arizona job, there were rumors that Bettcher was going to Arizona to be the DC again. They did work together in New York in 2018.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 03:32 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Lou isn’t getting a HC job.  I like him, he’s been a good coach.  But everyone wants offensive minded coaches now days.

Robert Saleh and Demeco Ryans got HC gigs, aren't they defensive minded?
Reply/Quote
I'm still convinced Zac is a mediocre coach in general (has the skills to be a HC and a leader, but needs a good staff around him). Still feel like most of the fan base isn't in love with Zac's approach to the offense even after the teams success. I would like to see them get a good replacement from outside if he leaves vs promoting from within.
Reply/Quote
Everyone predicting Bettcher or Livingston, so it will obviously be Duffner. :P

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anarumo could make DEN potentially scary if they decide Sean Payton isn't their guy (doesn't seem to be).

Don't see the slightest chance of that happening.

It's not just money they would be eating by moving on from Payton. They also gave up serious draft capital. You don't do that for a HC who you then move on from after just 1 year. 

Their defense has been terrible, but Wilson has 66.1% Completion, 16 TD/4 INT, and a 101.7 QB Rating with no #1 WR and a TE group that is probably bottom-5. They also can't realistically move on from Wilson even if they wanted to until 2026 without killing themselves cap-wise even if they did want to get rid of their offensive HC after 1 year for a defensive one.

I think Payton gets 2 more years at least.

- - - - - - - -

I do agree with you Bettcher is probably the choice unless he goes with Lou to be his DC.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 02:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't see the slightest chance of that happening.

It's not just money they would be eating by moving on from Payton. They also gave up serious draft capital. You don't do that for a HC who you then move on from after just 1 year. 

Their defense has been terrible, but Wilson has 66.1% Completion, 16 TD/4 INT, and a 101.7 QB Rating with no #1 WR and a TE group that is probably bottom-5. They also can't realistically move on from Wilson even if they wanted to until 2026 without killing themselves cap-wise even if they did want to get rid of their offensive HC after 1 year for a defensive one.

I think Payton gets 2 more years at least.

- - - - - - - -

I do agree with you Bettcher is probably the choice unless he goes with Lou to be his DC.

They also beat the Chiefs and at least seem to be trending in an upwards direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 04:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bettcher struggled as DC for Arizona. I think he'll go with Lou and be his DC.

My vote would be Livingston. He knows everyone's system from Marvin's - Zimmer's - Lou's and should be ready to take over. Safety and secondary play has long been strong under his tutelage.

Zimmer thought Guenther would be his DC as well, but Mikey pulled a fast one and already had him secured. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I can't find it now but I remember reading that Klint Kubiak was Lou's OC when he interviewed for the Arizona job but I don't think they mentioned a DC.

Bettcher is probably the best and most obvious choice to replace Lou because of experience and familiarity with both the players and the system. Cincinnati is also Bettchers best and most obvious choice because of the players here and his familiarity with the system lol. If Lou gives Livingston the chance to be his DC where he goes that would be a great opportunity for him other than that he has been in Cincy his entire career it might be a bit hard for him to break out into the league.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

You sure about that?

"Bettcher spent five seasons in Arizona (2013-17), including the final three as defensive coordinator. During his tenure as defensive coordinator, the Cardinals ranked in the top six in the NFL in total defense each year, while ranking fourth in total takeaways (82) and defensive TDs (11). Bettcher also guided six players to Pro Bowl selections and four to All-Pro honors. In 2017, Arizona ranked third in rushing yards allowed per play and sixth in third-down defense. The Cardinals posted a league-leading 48 sacks in 2016, led by DE Markus Golden (12.5) and OLB Chandler Jones (11). Bettcher joined the Cardinals as outside linebackers coach in 2013, helping Arizona lead the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4). In 2014, the team's 18.7 points allowed per game was the fifth-best average in the NFL."

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well, I would certainly hate to lose Lou. While someone who knows his system could copy it, it is the in-game adjustments Lou makes that makes him such a dangerous DC. He's pretty good for a guy no one wanted and only got hired because no one else would work for Zac. Remember? Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 05:06 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont know about safety and secondary play.  How many times have we seen guys wide open running all over the field?  Even yesterday as bad a Purdy played he still threw for 365 yards

We've always had strong safety and cb play under Livingston. Even back under Bresh. Bengals legitimately have been strong in the secondary for decades under Livingston.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 06:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's what I was thinking, although they do have to worry about life after Keenan Allen (and Austin Ekeler?).
Will Herbert, Williams, and Johnston be enough with a new TE and/or RB probably coming in the draft?

Chargers will probably go with a coach from the other side of the ball. They currently have a "defensive" mind HC. Likely go with Offensive minded one. 

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2023, 08:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: You sure about that?

"Bettcher spent five seasons in Arizona (2013-17), including the final three as defensive coordinator. During his tenure as defensive coordinator, the Cardinals ranked in the top six in the NFL in total defense each year, while ranking fourth in total takeaways (82) and defensive TDs (11). Bettcher also guided six players to Pro Bowl selections and four to All-Pro honors. In 2017, Arizona ranked third in rushing yards allowed per play and sixth in third-down defense. The Cardinals posted a league-leading 48 sacks in 2016, led by DE Markus Golden (12.5) and OLB Chandler Jones (11). Bettcher joined the Cardinals as outside linebackers coach in 2013, helping Arizona lead the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (84.4). In 2014, the team's 18.7 points allowed per game was the fifth-best average in the NFL."

Ok, maybe it was the Giants. He was ran out of some team for running a lambo into a ditch as they say for taking over a strong defense and ruining it. It was his last stop at DC.

Reply/Quote