Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Who is the heir to DC? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Who is the heir to DC? (/Thread-Who-is-the-heir-to-DC)

Pages: 1 2 3

Who is the heir to DC? - WeezyBengal - 10-30-2023

Lou has gotten a lot of praise lately and will most likely be interviewing for head coaching jobs after the season. Arizona almost plucked him away last off-season (and probably should have).

So, who is the heir to Lou? The team values continuity...is the replacement already on the staff somewhere?

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-30-2023

I see a bit of talk about Bettcher possibly replacing him.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 10-30-2023

Yeah if not from outside (which I don't think it will be, for continunity's sake), it will be Bettcher, not a doubt in my mind.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Cosmokramer - 10-30-2023

Lou isn’t getting a HC job. I like him, he’s been a good coach. But everyone wants offensive minded coaches now days.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - WeezyBengal - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 03:32 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Lou isn’t getting a HC job.  I like him, he’s been a good coach.  But everyone wants offensive minded coaches now days.

The NFL is cyclical. This season is showing how important the defensive side of the ball actually is. I really think we are in a transition on teams putting an emphasis on defense and running the ball. 

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Joelist - 10-30-2023

Don't be shocked if during the season they announce an extension for Lou.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - J24 - 10-30-2023

Robert Livingston

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - 007BengalsFan - 10-30-2023

Since Lou is the mastermind of this defense, I dont know if you can just elevate an assistant to DC for a defensive scheme they didnt create. Now of course they could take this scheme, adapt it to their own and have success but you just never know.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Housh - 10-30-2023

If the choice was Arizona or Carolina i imagine Lou would stay here.

Those just aren’t good jobs now.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - WeezyBengal - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 03:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: Don't be shocked if during the season they announce an extension for Lou.

Doesnt mean he wont leave if given a HC gig. 

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Frank Booth - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 04:10 PM)Housh Wrote: If the choice was Arizona or Carolina i imagine Lou would stay here.

Those just aren’t good jobs now.

You have to strike while the iron is hot. Lou leaves for a hc gig and big pay upgrade if the opportunity is available. Even if it’s a dumpster fire like chicago

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Housh - 10-30-2023

To answer the question I’d take anyone who’s had prior success.

This team is loaded on defense.

(10-30-2023, 04:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Doesnt mean he wont leave if given a HC gig. 

Almost any NFL assistant coach/coordinator would leave for a head coaching job no matter what the team.   There just arent that many opportunities especially for someone a little older like Lou who has never been an NFL head coach.   As big a mess as Arizona is, Lou would have left if he had been offered.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - jj22 - 10-30-2023

Bettcher struggled as DC for Arizona. I think he'll go with Lou and be his DC.

My vote would be Livingston. He knows everyone's system from Marvin's - Zimmer's - Lou's and should be ready to take over. Safety and secondary play has long been strong under his tutelage.

(10-30-2023, 04:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bettcher struggled as DC for Arizona. I think he'll go with Lou and be his DC.

My vote would be Livingston. He knows everyone's system from Marvin's - Zimmer's - Lou's and should be ready to take over. Safety and secondary play has long been strong under his tutelage.

I dont know about safety and secondary play.  How many times have we seen guys wide open running all over the field?  Even yesterday as bad a Purdy played he still threw for 365 yards

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Whacked - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 04:28 PM)Housh Wrote: To answer the question I’d take anyone who’s had prior success.

This team is loaded on defense.

x2

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - psychdoctor - 10-30-2023

Offensive minded coaches make better HC compared to defense coaches. Look at Buffalo. All this talk about Lou getting a head coaching job is Tony Romo's fantasy. I think Dan Pitcher is the guy that will get plucked after this season, not Lou, Not Callahan. And that worries me a bit. Dan is the main dude that makes the offense go.

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - PhilHos - 10-30-2023

Can't say who would replace Lou if, God forbid, he left to be a HC after the season. But, I do know that we would not have to rely on our 6th choice to replace him. First person we offer the job to will probably take it. ThumbsUp

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - Soonerpeace - 10-30-2023

I think Lou is more desirable as a HC today than at the end of last year. But it’s a long season. It’s not January. But I think his age and being a DC is working against him. But if they go to the Super Bowl he’s gone. What they’ve done here with a third straight banner year will get him a job. I’d say it’s 50/50 with Bettcher next as DC

RE: Who is the heir to DC? - QueenCity - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 05:06 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont know about safety and secondary play.  How many times have we seen guys wide open running all over the field?  Even yesterday as bad a Purdy played he still threw for 365 yards

80 yards of that was in garbage time... embarrassing that 49ers didn't just take a knee down 2 TD's with 45 seconds left.