Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your #1 FA?
The sentimental want to bring Zeitler back blows my mind. He is not an elite or high level player.... at all. He's so far past his prime that the dumpy Giants are letting him walk. Signing other team's 10 year old vets, unless they are super high and still killing it, is not going to help the Bengals.

I would rather resign Quinton Spain, a guy who has played with the team and this staff. Zeitler is 31 and not a long term, viable player. He's a stop gap. The Bengals have gotten their asses kicked with 10 year vet stop gaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 11:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Centers are rarely singled up and not asked to do as much as any position on the line. We really need to shore up the guard positions given how they have invested in Mixon.  

My Linsley scenario has both guards replaced... it’s a creative way to address the issue IMO.
Reply/Quote
This isn't saying much, but I'll take anyone who can block better than who we currently have.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As far as adding immediate improvement to the Bengals?  Curtis Samuel.

He's a dynamic WR that can be used as a home run threat, from lining up anywhere on the field.  Speed, hands, toughness, smarts, and only 25 y/o.  

I'd really like to see the Bengals make that 3-5 year investment in Samuel, and then use the draft to restock our fundamental positions on OL/DL with young, athletic blockers and tacklers.

This is a hard vector from where my opinion was a month ago.  What we're seeing as far as OL goes, heading into free agency, is that the quality Tackles are being retained by their current teams.  Aside from a very expensive Joe Thuney and an aging Kevin Zeitler, the free agent guard market isn't going to be quite as loaded with talented players that would be "far superior" to what we had on the roster last season.

From much of what I've read and watched this year, the first 3 rounds of this year's draft class seems to be loaded with RT and Guard candidates, capable of winning starting jobs in their rookie or second seasons.

I don't see it with Samuel, honestly.  He had good year this year, but was pretty bad in '19, catching only 54 of 105 targets for 627 yards and was mediocre his first two years.  He has speed, so you can use him outside some, but still took over half his snaps from the slot last year.  If they're going to make a major addition at WR in FA, it needs to be a full time outside WR, and there aren't many great options.  Golladay is way more than I'd want to spend.  Fuller and Davis are hurt constantly.  Conley would be the best option if the went that route.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The sentimental want to bring Zeitler back blows my mind. He is not an elite or high level player.... at all. He's so far past his prime that the dumpy Giants are letting him walk. Signing other team's 10 year old vets, unless they are super high and still killing it, is not going to help the Bengals.

I would rather resign Quinton Spain, a guy who has played with the team and this staff. Zeitler is 31 and not a long term, viable player. He's a stop gap. The Bengals have gotten their asses kicked with 10 year vet stop gaps.

The blocking scheme is changing per Pollack.  They wanted to run a wide zone scheme before but the personnel on the roster wasn't up to the task.  Zeitler is basically perfect for that scheme.  Spain, not so much.  They will need to acquire a couple of new OL if they keep with the stated plan.
Reply/Quote
I like Romeo Okwara DE.
This front 4 needs a pass rusher even if they resign Lawson.
He is starting to.come into.his own as a legit game changer
Off the edge. He had as many QB hits as Lawson last year.
He is a much much better pass rusher than Hubbard
Ever was.
Reply/Quote
Trent Williams.3yrs.Why settle for second best? This guy is the best.Then draft Sewell,Pick up a speedy WR in round 2.SuperBowl,here we come!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:20 PM)samhain Wrote: The blocking scheme is changing per Pollack.  They wanted to run a wide zone scheme before but the personnel on the roster wasn't up to the task.  Zeitler is basically perfect for that scheme.  Spain, not so much.  They will need to acquire a couple of new OL if they keep with the stated plan.

I absolutely agree that new linemen are needed. I just find it deflating to think they turn to a 31 year old retread who wasn't THAT good when he was here in his prime and then, upon getting a truck load of money from the Browns continued to not be THAT good, and then was traded to the Giants and continued to be not THAT good.

The Bengals need to get markedly better on the o line. Like, they need to shoot for over the moon good.

If Zeitler is a backup or depth guy, great. If he is brought in as some big time O line fix... Joey B is F'd.
Reply/Quote
Thuney, Zeitler, or Gabe Jackson.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 01:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Trent Williams

3 yrs/ $60 Mil

$30 Mil guaranteed

From what your boys on Sirius XM NFL were saying, it's looking more and more like the 9ers are working hard to keep him on the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 03:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't see it with Samuel, honestly.  He had good year this year, but was pretty bad in '19, catching only 54 of 105 targets for 627 yards and was mediocre his first two years.  He has speed, so you can use him outside some, but still took over half his snaps from the slot last year.  If they're going to make a major addition at WR in FA, it needs to be a full time outside WR, and there aren't many great options.  Golladay is way more than I'd want to spend.  Fuller and Davis are hurt constantly.  Conley would be the best option if the went that route.

Do you not think that a good part in those statistics were due to the fact that Cam Newton and Kyle Allen were the one's delivering the ball, in an overwhelmingly Run-First offense?

Just one season with a pocket passer like Bridgewater, was enough for him to show what he's truly capable of.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To clarify:  Who is the one FA that you wish the Bengals would sign, for how long, and why?  And let's keep this to those outside the team.  Overall, I would most want Lawson, but from outside the team....

Mine is going to be a surprise, after beating the Joe Thuney drum for so long.

Kevin Zeitler.  

I would try to sign him to a 3 year deal where he would make roughly $8 million per year.  This would allow him to play at RG, and have XSF and Spain battle it out at LG (which was XSF's normal position) and have the Bengals looking to fill RT in the 2nd round of the draft.  This would allow for another player to be signed as a FA like a CB to replace WJIII while still being able to lock up Lawson long term.

Of course, if Sewell is there, I would take him and look for the WR later in the draft, but I don't see him being there.  

Ideally, there would have been a younger RT that could have been signed as a FA, but there simply doesn't seem to be a very solid option there.  

Who is your #1 FA that you would like to see the Bengals sign from outside the organization and why?

Well you took mine in Zeit as he would be cheaper than Thuney and allow us to add more players. After Zeitler, I say Feiler,
Rankins, Solomon Thomas and Roby in that order. I also would really like Hendrichson at DE if Lawson gets paid mega bucks 
by some other team. Bring back Spain.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From what your boys on Sirius XM NFL were saying, it's looking more and more like the 9ers are working hard to keep him on the team.

Work as hard as they want, but a hard cap is a hard cap. Although I'd love to have him; I can see the Jags or Bolts outbidding folks, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I could go a lot of directions but the more I think about it.. I want Corey Lindsley center from GB.. so few centers available compared to tackles and guards in FA and i don;t see alot in the draft... he is really one of the better centers, and with Hopkins injury plus Hopkins can move to guard, I like to see us sign him first, that gives us more flexibility to go tackle or guard in draft plus add another either tackle or guard in FA...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 07:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I could go a lot of directions but the more I think about it.. I want Corey Lindsley center from GB.. so few centers available compared to tackles and guards in FA and i don;t see alot in the draft... he is really one of the better centers, and with Hopkins injury plus Hopkins can move to guard, I like to see us sign him first, that gives us more flexibility to go tackle or guard in draft plus add another either tackle or guard in FA...

While I certainly respect your perspective of getting stronger closest to the ball first mindset, I'm not sure that the Bengals will even be considering a Center in their free agency plans.

Why?  Because they invested a first round pick in Billy Price.  I'm thinking that the Bengals will ride Price as the backup Center, retaining hope that he "turns the corner", and develops into a solid Pro.  It's not all that far fetched, either.  Price looked good to the eye (snap blunder aside), in his blocking in the two games he started, replacing Hopkins this past year.

Whatever games that Price starts to begin the season, until Hopkins returns, is most definitely Price's litmus test on weather the Bengals will choose to keep him around past 2021.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 12:02 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I'd be fine signing Zeitler, but I'm going to go with Matt Feiler. I'm giving him the nod because of the two year age difference and position flexibility. I like the idea of penciling him in at RT and moving inside depending on how the draft goes. Can I say I want both signed?

This could probably be said about any of the OL guys in their 30s, but I see Zeitler as a one year placeholder while a draft pick or current backup develops. Like you said, it may take a 3 year contract but I think you can count on one year and feel lucky if they can give 2 or 3 without a large drop off.

Matt Feiler is the one guy that makes the most sense to me to target first for the reasons stated above. He has played well at LG and RT. He makes the most sense in my opinion because he opens up the draft for the Bengals in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:05 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Matt Feiler is the one guy that makes the most sense to me to target first for the reasons stated above. He has played well at LG and RT. He makes the most sense in my opinion because he opens up the draft for the Bengals in round 1.

Signing a stopgap player like Feiler might "open up" round 2 in the draft for the Bengals, but it wouldn't have any effect at all on round 1.  If Feiler were truly valuable, the Steelers would definitely have found a way to keep him around. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do you not think that a good part in those statistics were due to the fact that Cam Newton and Kyle Allen were the one's delivering the ball, in an overwhelmingly Run-First offense?

Just one season with a pocket passer like Bridgewater, was enough for him to show what he's truly capable of.

I think it has more to do with Brady's scheme than the QB's.  Samuel is mainly a body catcher.  You see him running a lot of crossing routes, hooks, curls, etc. this past year where he can sit down in a zone, face the QB and catch it with his body instead of having to snatch it out of the air with his hands.  They used him a lot of the backfield, too. 

He has value, but he's a guy that you scheme touches for and use his ability to line up in the backfield to get the defense in bad personnel groups rather than an X or Z WR like we need.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Signing a stopgap player like Feiler might "open up" round 2 in the draft for the Bengals, but it wouldn't have any effect at all on round 1.  If Feiler were truly valuable, the Steelers would definitely have found a way to keep him around. 

Sure it would, it would prevent a reach at tackle if Sewell was off the board. If he is there then you can draft him and slide Feiler to LG. The Steelers let a bunch of valuable guys walk Villanueva, Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Juju, Alualu due to their cap situation. Not sure I agree on your take there.
Reply/Quote
Corey Linsley

There's some tier-2 Gs who are still big upgrades for the Bengals so there's still real viable upgrades even after Thuney, but there's a pretty big drop after Linsley.

Having a top-tier C would be great, which is what I said years ago when the Bengals passed on Alex Mack and he went on to go to a SB with Atlanta. Linsley is my #1, but the Bengals need to add 3-4 good OL through FA and the first two rounds of the draft, so he can't be it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote