Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your #1 FA?
(03-14-2021, 08:18 PM)Whatever Wrote:  Samuel is mainly a body catcher. 
Yeah, sure he is..  
https://www.panthers.com/video/curtis-samuel-31-yard-catch-sets-up-td
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Trai Turner - he’s more realistic than Thuney, had 5 pro bowl seasons with The Panthers and is only 27. He was awful last year with the Chargers and I’m hoping that was more to do with injury, playing for a new team / scheme and in a covid shortened season. Could get Turner and another guard at a reasonable / discount price.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 09:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, sure he is..  
https://www.panthers.com/video/curtis-samuel-31-yard-catch-sets-up-td

Count the body catches.  And this is a highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNIPDkVPH0
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:20 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Sure it would, it would prevent a reach at tackle if Sewell was off the board. If he is there then you can draft him and slide Feiler to LG. The Steelers let a bunch of valuable guys walk Villanueva, Dupree, Hilton, Sutton, Juju, Alualu due to their cap situation. Not sure I agree on your take there.

Uh, what??  Feiler is/was the "spare tire" of the Steelers OL room.  I highly doubt that his presence or lack of is influencing any team's 1st round decision making.

The Bengals got Joe Burrow busted up last season, by trying to put a swiss cheese OL together, from "spare parts" from other teams.  How did that work out?  The Bengals first, and foremost item of urgency this year, is to ensure that Joe Burrow is adequately protected.  That means going out and getting good talent for the job, weather through free agency, the draft, or a combination of the two.

Many Bengal fans seem to have this pipe dream, where the Bengals magically solve the OL with some cheap-ass free agent acquisitions, so that the team can focus on getting the shiniest new WR or TE on the draft board.  That's all well and good, but Joe is going to have a difficult time finding any open receivers from his hospital room.   Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
For me it has to be the Guard position, we have to upgrade the interior before the draft, I'd go with either:

1) Kevin Zeitler (31) -RG 65.9 pff 3/15 5 AAV
or
2) Matt Feiler (29) -RG/RT 65.0 pff 3/18 6 AAV

-both should be very solid upgrades and will still allow us to address other areas of need (CB,DE, OL) if you use the recent signings of the Bills it makes sense to get one early. As bills just re-signed:

1) Daryl Williams RT 3/28.2 9.4 AAV 79.4 pff
2) Jon Feliciano-RG 3/17 5.67 AAV 64.6 pff
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Uh, what??  Feiler is/was the "spare tire" of the Steelers OL room.  I highly doubt that his presence or lack of is influencing any team's 1st round decision making.

The Bengals got Joe Burrow busted up last season, by trying to put a swiss cheese OL together, from "spare parts" from other teams.  How did that work out?  The Bengals first, and foremost item of urgency this year, is to ensure that Joe Burrow is adequately protected.  That means going out and getting good talent for the job, weather through free agency, the draft, or a combination of the two.

Many Bengal fans seem to have this pipe dream, where the Bengals magically solve the OL with some cheap-ass free agent acquisitions, so that the team can focus on getting the shiniest new WR or TE on the draft board.  That's all well and good, but Joe is going to have a difficult time finding any open receivers from his hospital room.   Mellow

Will Steelers guard Matt Feiler continue to be the teams best lineman? - Behind the Steel Curtain
This is a terrible take. He is a good offensive lineman and he is only 29 years old. He is actually a better RT than a LG but he can play both well. That article by his own team's website says it all. My point is if they can sign him for around 3/21M then he can be penciled in for RT and if they want Sewell and he is there at 5 then great. Feiler can play LG. 

The Bengals need 5 competent offensive lineman. He would certainly qualify. 
Reply/Quote
My #1 wanted free agent was probably Daryl Williams. He was a top tier RT and could have been had for about 10M per year. Unfortunately (for us), he signed with the Bills at a bit of a market discount. The main reason he was my top choice was because he was a RT by trade. The rest of the players I'm about to list have been LTs, so I'm not sure if they'd want him to move to RT or if we'd move Williams there, so Williams already being a RT made it an easy conversation (plus, you tend to get career RTs at a bit of a discount relative to LTs).

So, my new #1 wanted free agent is either Alejandro Villanueva or Riley Reiff.

Between the two, I think my favorite is Riley Reiff. He only allowed 1 sack last year and only had 1 penalty, whereas Villanueva allowed 3 sacks and had 4 penalties. But honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way.

If we can't get either of them under contract, you could look to Russell Okung or Mitchell Schwartz, although Schwartz would need to clear a medical check as I wonder if maybe his back is worse off than originally thought, considering the Chiefs dropped him.

If we could get any of the 4 under contract for less than 15 million per year for 3 years, I think that would be the perfect splash in free agency to show we really mean business in protecting Burrow.

There are going to be a fair number of guards on the open market as well, which should help us sure up that spot, as I don't believe we're going to pony up the cash needed for Joe Thuney. If we sign one of the above 4 Ts and then a mid tier to good guard, we should be good to head into the draft not being forced to pray that Sewell drops to us or potentially reaching for Slater just to keep Joe and his knees healthy.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My #1 wanted free agent was probably Daryl Williams. He was a top tier RT and could have been had for about 10M per year. Unfortunately (for us), he signed with the Bills at a bit of a market discount. The main reason he was my top choice was because he was a RT by trade. The rest of the players I'm about to list have been LTs, so I'm not sure if they'd want him to move to RT or if we'd move Williams there, so Williams already being a RT made it an easy conversation (plus, you tend to get career RTs at a bit of a discount relative to LTs).

So, my new #1 wanted free agent is either Alejandro Villanueva or Riley Reiff.

Between the two, I think my favorite is Riley Reiff. He only allowed 1 sack last year and only had 1 penalty, whereas Villanueva allowed 3 sacks and had 4 penalties. But honestly, I think you can't go wrong either way.

If we can't get either of them under contract, you could look to Russell Okung or Mitchell Schwartz, although Schwartz would need to clear a medical check as I wonder if maybe his back is worse off than originally thought, considering the Chiefs dropped him.

If we could get any of the 4 under contract for less than 15 million per year for 3 years, I think that would be the perfect splash in free agency to show we really mean business in protecting Burrow.

There are going to be a fair number of guards on the open market as well, which should help us sure up that spot, as I don't believe we're going to pony up the cash needed for Joe Thuney. If we sign one of the above 4 Ts and then a mid tier to good guard, we should be good to head into the draft not being forced to pray that Sewell drops to us or potentially reaching for Slater just to keep Joe and his knees healthy.
I liked Reiff a lot too but I think if the Bengals were in on him they would have traded a 7th rounder for him since his 2021 salary of 13M was a fair market value number for him at LT and he is a great scheme fit. Plus he could have been extended and dissolved some of his cap hit. He feels like a Chiefs signee to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 08:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I certainly respect your perspective of getting stronger closest to the ball first mindset, I'm not sure that the Bengals will even be considering a Center in their free agency plans.

Why?  Because they invested a first round pick in Billy Price.  I'm thinking that the Bengals will ride Price as the backup Center, retaining hope that he "turns the corner", and develops into a solid Pro.  It's not all that far fetched, either.  Price looked good to the eye (snap blunder aside), in his blocking in the two games he started, replacing Hopkins this past year.

Whatever games that Price starts to begin the season, until Hopkins returns, is most definitely Price's litmus test on weather the Bengals will choose to keep him around past 2021.

You may be right but it sure felt they moved on from Price last year...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 09:44 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Trai Turner - he’s more realistic than Thuney, had 5 pro bowl seasons with The Panthers and is only 27. He was awful last year with the Chargers and I’m hoping that was more to do with injury, playing for a new team / scheme and in a covid shortened season. Could get Turner and another guard at a reasonable / discount price.

How depressing that we have a question about your #1 FA you wish the Bengals would sign, not who would think would be most likely or reasonable, and you choose a lesser player coming off an awful year because it's more realistic and cheaper.

You've clearly been beaten down so harshly by the Bengals that you can't even dream big now.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well you took mine in Zeit as he would be cheaper than Thuney and allow us to add more players. After Zeitler, I say Feiler,
Rankins, Solomon Thomas and Roby in that order. I also would really like Hendrichson at DE if Lawson gets paid mega bucks 
by some other team. Bring back Spain.

Soloman Thomas is a guy I mentioned to the guys that run the "Locked on Bengals" podcast (Rapien and Lisco).  Think he could be a really good fit here and have something to prove.  Loved him coming out of Stanford.  I look at him as a little bit like Lawson, but inside.  Not very long, but powerful.  I think SF really screwed up by trying to have him play outside and with the #1 pick going to inside DT for them last year, I don't think he has a place.  

I sure as hell don't want him in pitt or balt.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 02:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The sentimental want to bring Zeitler back blows my mind. He is not an elite or high level player.... at all. He's so far past his prime that the dumpy Giants are letting him walk. Signing other team's 10 year old vets, unless they are super high and still killing it, is not going to help the Bengals.

I would rather resign Quinton Spain, a guy who has played with the team and this staff. Zeitler is 31 and not a long term, viable player. He's a stop gap. The Bengals have gotten their asses kicked with 10 year vet stop gaps.

Last year, he gave up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps, along with 4 penalties, to earn a 65 rating according to PFF.  He had a QB that held on to the ball all day and his #1 RB was out injured.

In his previous season, he graded out a 76.  

I like Spain a lot for his position flexibility and his toughness, and would try to sign him to compete against XSF at LG so if XSF is unreliable again with an injury, we have a solid vet in place.  

Zeitler might not be the best guard in the NFL, but he is a tough as nails run blocker and a reliable vet at RG.  For the price I mentioned, he would be a huge upgrade over what we have had at that position.  

Yes, he did turn 31 (last week) and would be 31 all season long.  If the Bengals gave him even 2 years, it would be a nice get for them and still allow for the signing of a guy like Lawson and Samuel.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Last year, he gave up 2 sacks in over 1000 snaps, along with 4 penalties, to earn a 65 rating according to PFF.  He had a QB that held on to the ball all day and his #1 RB was out injured.

In his previous season, he graded out a 76.  

I like Spain a lot for his position flexibility and his toughness, and would try to sign him to compete against XSF at LG so if XSF is unreliable again with an injury, we have a solid vet in place.  

Zeitler might not be the best guard in the NFL, but he is a tough as nails run blocker and a reliable vet at RG.  For the price I mentioned, he would be a huge upgrade over what we have had at that position.  

Yes, he did turn 31 (last week) and would be 31 all season long.  If the Bengals gave him even 2 years, it would be a nice get for them and still allow for the signing of a guy like Lawson and Samuel.  

....annnnnd he signed with the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 11:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How depressing that we have a question about your #1 FA you wish the Bengals would sign, not who would think would be most likely or reasonable, and you choose a lesser player coming off an awful year because it's more realistic and cheaper.

You've clearly been beaten down so harshly by the Bengals that you can't even dream big now.

Ninja

Thuney would be my number one just don’t see it happening. I think Turner still has upside at only 27 with a great track record and had an off year. He can still be in his prime by the time things turn around versus some older stop gap lineman that we’ll have to replace in a few years.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: ....annnnnd he signed with the Ravens.

It will be interesting to see who's left to pick through when the dust settles.  I see us being active but not major winners in FA.
Watching Burrow next season will be like watching Alex Smith if the line isn't drastically upgraded this off-season.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:51 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: I liked Reiff a lot too but I think if the Bengals were in on him they would have traded a 7th rounder for him since his 2021 salary of 13M was a fair market value number for him at LT and he is a great scheme fit. Plus he could have been extended and dissolved some of his cap hit. He feels like a Chiefs signee to me.

That's a fair point about the trade. I'd be frustrated if we don't even consider him though. We've already missed out on Norwell, Zeitler and Williams. If they just ignore the other above average starters on the market, then we're pretty much doomed regardless haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 09:24 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: It will be interesting to see who's left to pick through when the dust settles.  I see us being active but not major winners in FA.
Watching Burrow next season will be like watching Alex Smith if the line isn't drastically upgraded this off-season.

With Zeitler to Ravens maybe that opens the door for Thuney?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 09:43 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: With Zeitler to Ravens maybe that opens the door for Thuney?

It was just reported the Patriots and Thuney have re-engaged in negotiations, so he may not make it to FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 08:12 AM)Au165 Wrote: ....annnnnd he signed with the Ravens.

Oh yeah, about that tampering before noon on 3/16 rule. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 12:01 PM)yang Wrote: Oh yeah, about that tampering before noon on 3/16 rule. 

Doesn't apply as he was cut before the new league year began. 
Reply/Quote