Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your Surprise Trade Candidate?
Has to currently be a Bengal.

My pick is Tyler Boyd. Boyd is a productive young veteran receiver that with a mid ranged price tag and 3 years left on his contract. He would be a perfect fit for a team that needs a Slot Receiver for a young QB because he consistently gets open and makes catches.

Why trade him? For one he is one of the few Bengals players that can actually see a solid return on investment as a possible very late 1st but most likely a 2nd and a 5th. He is a slot only and isn't a guy that gets you a ton of YAC more solid receiver than playmaker. This draft is also full of those very fast Slot/Z receivers starting with DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Kadarius Toney, Rondale Moore, Dwayne Eskridge, Elijah Moore, Chatarius Atwell, Demetric Felton, Rico Bussey, Marquez Stevenson, Shi Smith...You get the picture lol. This move isn't going to free up a ton of cap possibly none because an outside receiver is still a very big need but adding a cheap option like Chris Conley plus drafting Dwayne Eskridge in the 3rd would add a ton of speed to a receiving core that has lacked speed for several years.

Also I want to point out with Joe Burrow YAC is going to become a big thing because of his excellent ball placement leading to yards so adding more speed is a necessity.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hmm, If I were the Bengals GM, I'd likely veto that idea until at least next year. Boyd has good hands, and can take a hit. Those two qualities mean a lot in the NFL. He's also one of the only two "sure starters" at WR that we have on the roster, in other words, if the draft pick to replace him didn't pan out instantly, the Bengals would be screwed. Mellow

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a guy must truly be expendable, before you shop him around.

I'm not sure that there is a player, that the team could sacrifice, with trade value that the Bengals could convert into decent picks to make the team better. I mean, you see what they got from Dunlap..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, If I were the Bengals GM, I'd likely veto that idea until at least next year.  Boyd has good hands, and can take a hit.  Those two qualities mean a lot in the NFL.  He's also one of the only two "sure starters" at WR that we have on the roster, in other words, if the draft pick to replace him didn't pan out instantly, the Bengals would be screwed.  Mellow

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a guy must truly be expendable, before you shop him around.  

I'm not sure that there is a player, that the team could sacrifice, with trade value that the Bengals could convert into decent picks to make the team better. I mean, you see what they got from Dunlap..

I think that is the saddest part of where this roster is at currently. There just isn't any spot you can look at and see depth and go we could move on from this guy and we are still okay.

Maybe the only spot we have real depth is RB. However, outside of Mixon, I'm not sure we'd get anything in return for the other RBs.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
To each their own, but there is absolutely no way I would trade Tyler Boyd. (Barring some ridiculous compensation)

He has one of, if not the very best value veteran contracts on the entire team. He's right in the realm of guys like Adam Humphries, Sterling Shepard and Randall Cobb in terms of pay. (He's a helluva bargain) He's only 26, and we have him locked up for another 3 years.

This team doesn't have a lot of good players. The last thing we need to ship off someone like Tyler Boyd IMHO.

As far as who I would trade, that's a pretty tough question. A lot of guys that immediately come to mind (Geno, Bernard, Uzomah, Hart) have no trade value at their salary and/or level of production Gun to head, I'd probably choose Joe Mixon. But I really don't want to unload him just yet either. We'd eat a decent amount of money and we need a decent RB1.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 07:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, If I were the Bengals GM, I'd likely veto that idea until at least next year. Boyd has good hands, and can take a hit. Those two qualities mean a lot in the NFL. He's also one of the only two "sure starters" at WR that we have on the roster, in other words, if the draft pick to replace him didn't pan out instantly, the Bengals would be screwed. Mellow

Yeah... Trading Boyd seems like trying to be too cute. The Bengals are devoid of depth, and this just seems like opening up another hole to fill. The last sentence of your post is one of many reasons I don't trust whoever is creating these holes as well.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
LOL. Sure, lets trade our best young players for unproven draft picks. Perfect way to develop a QB and build a team.
Reply/Quote
I would trade Mixon before Boyd and I love Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Trae Waynes.  
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample for Zach Ertz
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Bates- The Bengals have historically not valued Safeties and he would be in high demand around the league. I wouldn't do it but the Bengals might if the compensation is there. Also Carl Lawson is a name to keep an eye on if franchised.

Honestly I don't see Boyd as Tradable piece. Slot Wrs are not that high in demand around the league that he would warrant a top 100 pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 08:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would trade Mixon before Boyd and I love Mixon.

Mixon would bring a nice return and RB's are not hard to find.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:07 PM)J24 Wrote: Bates- The Bengals have historically not valued Safeties and he would be in high demand around the league. I wouldn't do it but the Bengals might if the compensation is there. Also Carl Lawson is a name to keep an eye on if franchised.

Honestly I don't see Boyd as Tradable piece. Slot Wrs are not that high in demand around the league that he would warrant a top 100 pick.

Bates is probably the best trade value on the team at the moment a possible 2 first round pick return.

I knew the Tyler Boyd trade scenario wouldn't go over well and I wouldn't trade him either it was just my surprise possible trade. Like you said the demand for Boyd might not be there because he is a limited receiver and anything less than a low end first isn't really worth it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:22 PM)pulses Wrote: Mixon would bring a nice return and RB's are not hard to find.

If RBs are not hard to find why would a team give us a nice return for one who'll cost $30m+ over the next 3 years?
Reply/Quote
The time to think about trades was a couple years ago. Now none of our older players are worth anything, and the younger guys need to be part of the core we build around.

Reply/Quote
I'm not advocating this, because, let's be honest, the Bengals NEED proven NFL talent. I don't see them trading strong players. But, if I were GM and I absolutely HAD to...

Jessie Bates would possibly yield a 1st rounder at a position where the Bengals have a bit of depth. Better yet, maybe Bates for a 2nd & 3rd or another team's starter and a 3rd.

Bates will be commanding a massive contract extension after next season, I believe. To flip that into a 1st, multiple picks, or a player and a pick might be interesting. I would listen fir sure.

Of course they would have to keep Wilson around and find safety depth via FA or draft. But, that would be my shocker trade.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 08:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would trade Mixon before Boyd and I love Mixon.

Here's the thing.  Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, and Jonah are the only real building blocks that we have on the offensive side of the ball.  To trade Mixon at this point, would be as equally devastating to the team as trading away Tyler Boyd for magic beans (draft picks).  The quality level of the roster on this team is truly dire.  They have had so many 1st round busts in recent years, that even the front office has changed it's opinion about spending in free agency.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Zach Taylor for a kicking tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:22 PM)pulses Wrote: Mixon would bring a nice return and RB's are not hard to find.

I know it wouldn't happen anyway but that is the way I was looking at it. 

Mixon is getting paid way too much for this to happen, just saying that Gio played very well last year in his absence and to get 
paid as much as Mixon is he needs to stay healthy and contribute. Boyd stays healthy and contributes, very valuable player to us.

(02-21-2021, 09:31 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: If RBs are not hard to find why would a team give us a nice return for one who'll cost $30m+ over the next 3 years?

Well yeah, we overpaid Mixon but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good to great RB who still has great upside.

Was just saying that I don't want to trade Boyd at all.

(02-21-2021, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The time to think about trades was a couple years ago. Now none of our older players are worth anything, and the younger guys need to be part of the core we build around.

True.

Sad, but true.

(02-21-2021, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing.  Burrow, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, and Jonah are the only real building blocks that we have on the offensive side of the ball.  To trade Mixon at this point, would be as equally devastating to the team as trading away Tyler Boyd for magic beans (draft picks).  The quality level of the roster on this team is truly dire.  They have had so many 1st round busts in recent years, that even the front office has changed it's opinion about spending in free agency.

Yep. Gotta keep the young good proven players and replace the bad ones or coach them up. Simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 08:13 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Trae Waynes.  

^^^^

I have a gut feeling that we're gonna be on this guy like we were Dre Kirkpatrick. I remember reading Vikings fans posting that they couldn't believe we have him that contract... They were also upset that we got Alexander, who I really wanna keep, but don't know that we will.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 12:08 AM)jason Wrote: ^^^^

I have a gut feeling that we're gonna be on this guy like we were Dre Kirkpatrick. I remember reading Vikings fans posting that they couldn't believe we have him that contract... They were also upset that we got Alexander, who I really wanna keep, but don't know that we will.

They were also extremely down on Xavier Rhodes up there, and he was great this year, so who knows. We’ll see.

Reply/Quote