Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your dark horse to make the roster and why?
We all know there are some definite locks to make the roster. That could be draft picks, key FA acquisitions, or veteran starters.

However, there seems to always be at least one player to make the roster that many did not expect.

My dark horse is Sean Porter. Many Bengals fans don't know a thing about him. Prior to going to IR the past two seasons, he was a fourth round pick out of Texas A&M. In his rookie year in 2013, he had a torn labrum in preseason, and in 2014 he went on IR in early October with a knee injury.

However, coming out of college, Porter was very healthy and productive. He showed that he could be a very effective pass rusher, but he also showed good coverage ability and run defense when A&M switched to a 4-3. His skill set shows versatility to play any LB position, but he would be an ideal candidate to be a SAM on a Marvin Lewis team.

Porter is up to 242 lbs now (229 when drafted), so hopefully he's added even more muscle. This is a make or break preseason for Porter, as he needs to stay healthy and impress enough to stick to the roster. However, with the lack of talent on the back end of the roster at LB, I think Porter has the talent to impress enough to be the last LB to make the roster and give the Bengals that ideal SAM with pass rush ability that they've been seeking under Marvin's tenure.

Who is your dark horse that you think (or hope) makes the roster and why?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chris Jasperse, C, Marshall

Good ZBS center. Smart. Lacks physical gifts but profiles as a good reserve player.
Reply/Quote
This is usually the kiss of death to a prospective player (Boom Herron, Nikita Whitlock, among others) but I will go with Lengel, the huge TE from NKU (or was that EKU?).

I love the idea of massive targets, especially in the red zone. He has worked his ass off to add some necessary strength and I would like to see the guy get a chance. A player like him has the potential to really push our drafted TEs to perform as well.
Reply/Quote
Eric Dargen S Oregon

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106621&draftyear=2015&genpos=FS
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:21 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Eric Dargen S Oregon

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=106621&draftyear=2015&genpos=FS

The UDFA TE from the Div 3 school.... (the 6'8" one whos private workout numbers bested even our 2 draft picks)
Reply/Quote
RB Terrell Watson 6'1" 241lbs
K Tom Obarski (His leg is bigger than Nugent's)
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The UDFA TE from the Div 3 school....  (the 6'8" one whos private workout numbers bested even our 2 draft picks)

That's Lengel
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's Lengel

no its not its John Peters.

http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/John-Peters/ec45db57-fe0f-4e3c-b4c8-2efac1400d35

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Undrafted-and-unscripted/8b34be48-4c7a-4982-88ac-2da555e33aa9
Reply/Quote
Going with Terrell Watson as well. Awesome story,

http://rotoviz.com/2015/01/terrell-watson-best-rb-prospect-youve-never-heard-of/

Dark horse for sure as UDFA, but he'll make it worth our while.
Reply/Quote
Chris Lewis-Harris. CB Newman is gone, Shaw is a rookie. I think Chris will get some playing time. There is a reason he's been stash on our practice squad for a couple years and is usually the first man activated off it later in the season.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
James Wilder Jr. I think he'll flash enough at RB and make a good enough showing on ST this year to bump Peerman.
Reply/Quote
Tiger I've got a sneakin' suspicion that Obarski unseats Nuge... Shocked
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 02:46 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger  I've got a sneakin' suspicion that Obarski unseats Nuge... Shocked

There are few guys that might make it but Obarski is the one i find most likely.

I really like the Center out of Marshall, Jasperse as a backup this year as well.

I bet our RB's stay the same just cause Peerman and Burkhead are so good
on ST's. As far as the better RB i would go with Wilder jr but he would have to
improve on ST's like crazy to take a spot from one of them.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 01:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no its not its John Peters.

http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/John-Peters/ec45db57-fe0f-4e3c-b4c8-2efac1400d35

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Undrafted-and-unscripted/8b34be48-4c7a-4982-88ac-2da555e33aa9

Then I change my vote to Peters! Who the hell is Lengel?
Reply/Quote
Mine would probably be Terrelle Pryor.

I fancy the likes of Watson, Peters, Obarski etc to make the practice squad. However for a dark horse to crack the 53 Pryor gets my vote. Have to remember he is Hue's guy and still young and a gifted athlete. It totally would not surprise me if this year we stick with 3 QBs.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 12:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Chris Jasperse, C, Marshall

Good ZBS center. Smart. Lacks physical gifts but profiles as a good reserve player.

I'm hoping Jasperse works out.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Tate Ninja

Seriously I hope Watson makes it. We need a true backup to Hill, and if he's good enough to beat out Peerman or Burkhead we will have a very good STs player and another running back who can plow.

I'd also be pretty happy if Kumerow was good enough to unseat Tate as backup receiver.
Reply/Quote
I will go with Chris Jasperese, Brandon Ghee, &/or Terrell Watson.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Darkhorse to the fans: Ghee
It seems like a lot of early roster projections don't include him. I think he has a good shot simply because he has experience, plays ST, and has played both corner and safety. It takes one injury to a top 9 guy for him to make the squad, and his chances only increase if a youngster isn't coming along as quick as we'd like. I'm not saying they'd cut a guy like Smith but I'm saying if they're not comfortable with how raw some of the depth is, maybe they keep him as a 10th guy and more even.

Darkhorse to the team: Obarski
They've been loyal to a lot of guys, Nuge is one of them. We aren't that far removed from him being a rare franchise tagged kicker, but he didn't have a great year. Maybe Obarski hits a few long kicks and Mike misses a new extra point and gets them thinking about it. If they really felt worried about Nuge, they would have signed a vet or drafted a late round kicker, that's why Obarski is still a dark horse though you wouldn't know that from the buzz between fans.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say Chris Carter LB.

The guy was a baller at Fresno State and has everything you need to be a special teams ace.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote