Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is "your guy"?
(04-13-2020, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Careful now...Claypool was almost "my guy".   Hilarious

I really like him and I am ready to have some ($^@@% bullies on my team.  That guy will pancake block, flatten a safety on a slant route, and has incredible agility and speed for a big man.  I have no idea why I am seemingly one of the only people that is high on him.  But that isn't the reason for my reply.

I think you missed a WR that the Bengals are pretty high on:  Bryan Edwards, out of South Carolina.  He literally started competing in the SEC at AGE 17....that's ridiculous.  I think if he is there in Rd 3, and they got the LB in Rd 2, he might be the pick. 

Bryan Edwards, Van Jefferson, Antonio Gandy-Golden, KJ Hill, and Tyler Johnson are the 5 receivers that I have at the top of my list for day 3 if we don't address the position on day 2. Followed by Isaiah Hodgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Lynn Bowden, Quintez Cephus and Devin Duvernay at my top choices if we, for some reason, haven't addressed WR until the 5th round.

With Edwards, I like his tape and I like his ability to go up and get the ball, but he's a little too plodding for me to be comfortable taking him at 65. He also never really dominated at South Carolina and has some minor drop issues. I consider 65 a 2nd round pick and that is too rich for Edwards. I'd be pretty frustrated if we took him at 65, especially if one of those top 12 were still there.

As far as Claypool goes, I like him as a prospect, I just am not buying the early 2nd round hype, especially not at 33. If he's there at 65 I'd be comfortable taking him, provided the other 10 are off the board (with Hamler being the one I have below him in that top 12).
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:49 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I'm a Robert Hunt guy from Louisiana. I think he can absolutely wreck people as a guard, even though he played tackle at Louisiana. He feels like a plug and play that can start for you for the next ten years.

I was reading up on this guy this past weekend. Guy sounds like a sleeper big time! It was pretty much the same story across the board on him. Mauler, strong and very nimble. His weakness was, he probably won't play RT, but at RG where he could be pro bowl material. 
Reply/Quote
Antonio Gandy-Golden is my guy. Big, good speed and body control that is second to none among WR in this year's draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 09:32 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily say I have "a guy." The best I could come up with is Tee Higgins, who I'm significantly higher on than most people. I see people say he may be a reach at 33. To me, we'd be blessed to get such a good receiver in the 2nd round. He's smooth, he's got incredible hands, he's a long strider and he can go up and get the ball. If he were a masterful toe tapper with better hands against the press, he'd be AJ Green.

People have compared him to Auden Tate (big, slow possession receiver with good hands) saying we need a quicker, deep route guy, but I just don't see possession receiver with Higgins. He runs in the 4.5s, which is what Green ran in and his route running is crisp.

With that said, I am not dead set on taking Higgins because I know LB and Oline are bigger needs for us. So I just settled on "We should not exit the top 3 rounds without one of the top 12 receivers."

Those top 12 receivers being:
Jeudy
Lamb
Riggs
Jefferson
Shenault
Higgins
Reagor
Pittman
Aiyuk
Mims
Claypool
Hamler

There are so many good WRs in this class, I'd be shocked if one of them is not available at 65 and I think we need to take one. I love Pittman and Higgins as successors to Green. I am really high on Aiyuk and Reagor as replacements for Ross. And Shenault has a very very interesting skill set, although I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm worried our playcallers aren't good enough to fully take advantage of his abilities.

Jefferson is a great player and his connection with Burrow is uncanny. The only reason I prefer others over him is because we already have a slot WR in Boyd. Jefferson would be wasted here (or he'd waste Boyd). Which is a shame. But if the coaches are confident that they could make Jefferson work outside, then I'd support that pick at 33 as well.

I know a lot of people are high on Mims. I'm so-so on him. I am always weary of guys who start out as 3rd or 4th round prospects who become "first round locks" because of a week of practices and a 40 yard dash time. Mims struggled to create separation in college and relied on a lot of subtle pass interference to make some of his best catches (watch his tape. He pushes off a lot. It wasn't called in college often, but the NFL could be more strict about it).

For that same reason, I am weary of Claypool, as he was being called a 5th-6th round prospect who may need to convert to tight end before he ran a surprising 40 time at the combine. And then, suddenly, he became a 2nd round prospect. I hate that.

And then Hamler has all the talent in the world, but he's undersized and he has a drops problem.

I'm very high on Higgins, as well.  It's very hard to ignore the steady stream of top shelf WR's Clemson has been putting into the NFL.  

There are some guys out of your big 12 that I don't really like.  I'm down on Raeger and Hamler because of their drops.  Shenault is a hard pass until day 3 due to injuries and his slow 40 time.  Ruggs is a poor man's John Ross without the short area quickness ND change of direction.  Jefferson is a solid prospect, but did most of his damage out of the slot against other teams' 3rd CB's.  Since Boyd is so good in the slot, I would prefer an outside guy.

FWIW, back when Claypool was being projected as a Day 3 guy by the draft sites, a poster who said he worked with one of his family members said that he had been told late 1st-early 2nd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 10:59 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Bryan Edwards, Van Jefferson, Antonio Gandy-Golden, KJ Hill, and Tyler Johnson are the 5 receivers that I have at the top of my list for day 3 if we don't address the position on day 2. Followed by Isaiah Hodgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Lynn Bowden, Quintez Cephus and Devin Duvernay at my top choices if we, for some reason, haven't addressed WR until the 5th round.

With Edwards, I like his tape and I like his ability to go up and get the ball, but he's a little too plodding for me to be comfortable taking him at 65. He also never really dominated at South Carolina and has some minor drop issues. I consider 65 a 2nd round pick and that is too rich for Edwards. I'd be pretty frustrated if we took him at 65, especially if one of those top 12 were still there.

As far as Claypool goes, I like him as a prospect, I just am not buying the early 2nd round hype, especially not at 33. If he's there at 65 I'd be comfortable taking him, provided the other 10 are off the board (with Hamler being the one I have below him in that top 12).

Edwards did look like he was oddly "plodding" at the combine...not sure what was going on there as he stumbled in both forties that he ran.  

Claypool could be a good selection if the Bengals don't have the LB they covey at #33, can trade back a bit, and gain an additional 3rd rounder.  They could take Claypool in the middle 2nd.  I think he is worth that, but I know I am in the minority. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 12:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, there is one player that I couldn't watch enough on film.  One player that I love his mentality, energy, and overall football talent.

For me a couple years ago, it was Derwin James.  Of course, I wanted Price as well as that seemed like the guy the Bengals were centered ( Ninja ) on, and they have seemingly undervalued safeties in draft stock historically.  But I loved James.  I was certain he would end up in pissburgh...thank God that didn't happen.

Last year, it was Juan Thornhill.  Can you sense a there here?  I have watched the ratbirds and steelers destroy the Bengals with some legendary safety play for many years.  I wanted a guy that had outstanding traits but also that "alpha dog" mentality.  A guy with a serious case of the red ass.  A bully.  

This year, that player is Kyle Dugger.  He tested very well at the Combine:

40 yard dash- 4.49
225 Bench- 17 reps
Vertical- 42" (!)
Long jump:  134" (!)

That athleticism, at 6' 1" 217 lbs with an amazing 6' 6.5" wingspan.  He is a striker that doesn't often miss and has outstanding ball skills as well.  He had 10 INTs and 18 PBUs in his career.  And at Lenoir-Rhyne, he was quite a standout so it wasn't like teams didn't know to avoid him.  Oh, and he was also a ridiculous punt returner.

He could help right away on special teams and play the hybrid nickel OLB for the Bengals and allow them to cut Shawn Williams.

My dream would be that they could get him in Rd 3.  

That is "my guy" for this year...who is yours?

Hard to narrow it down to one dude. I like Dugger and I like Chinn maybe even better if we go Safety/LB.

I think if I had to go with one guy it would be Claypool, dude is big and fast, reminds me of Mike Evans and dare I say
Michael Thomas? Think this guy could be good to great in the future and maybe could replace AJ so this would be my 
guy. As far as mid round Linebackers I like Logan Wilson or Davis-Gaither.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard to narrow it down to one dude. I like Dugger and I like Chinn maybe even better if we go Safety/LB.

I think if I had to go with one guy it would be Claypool, dude is big and fast, reminds me of Mike Evans and dare I say
Michael Thomas? Think this guy could be good to great in the future and maybe could replace AJ so this would be my 

The more I see of Logan Wilson the more I like, I honestly would not be upset if we ended up with ADG or Wilson or hell, both.
Reply/Quote
Bryce Hall- physical ball Hawking Corner who has all the physical traits one would want in a press CB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard to narrow it down to one dude. I like Dugger and I like Chinn maybe even better if we go Safety/LB.

If we slid in Rd 2, took Claypool, then got Dugger and ADG or Wilson in Rd 3 (with two picks), I would be ecstatic.  Actually looks a lot like my latest mock (12.0...I know, I'm obsessed with mock drafts). 
Reply/Quote
Tyler Bass
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 09:03 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Bengals are looking at the possibility of selecting Pittman in the 3rd. Other possible players are Uche, Robertson, Malik Harrison, Willie Gay, Darnay Holmes and Troy Dye.

They really like Pittman and the DBs and they have issues with these LBers.

Yeah, I'd take Pittman in the third over any of those guys. 

Besides Burrow, I've tried to avoid having A GUY for fear of being disappointed if we don't pick him. If I had to choose one, it would be Justin Strnad, the LB from Wake Forest. I've typically included him as my 6th round pick in my mocks, but I've taken him in the 5th, too. I'm no pro-scout, but he looks alot better than Willie Gay, Jordyn Brooks, Troy Dye and others. Davis-Gaither might be as good or better, but Strnad strikes me as a very solid linebacker.  Who knows why his stock isn't rising? Not me. But if we can get him and Shaq Quarterman in rounds 5 & 6, I'll be a happy man. Give the first 4 rounds to the offense. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I have some favorites in this class.

Higgins is one.  Supposedly the Bills were targeting him in the first and were so turned off by his pro day that they decided to trade four picks for Diggs rather than target a receiver in the first.  His 10 yard split time was abysmal.  Some of his other agility tests were bad.  People say some nasty things about him too.  "He's soft over the middle." ; "He can't beat press." ; "He has stiff hips." ; "He's just a slow possession guy." ; "He wilts against good competition."  I just don't buy it.  Guys like Okudah had to interfere with him in order to try to shut him down - in the NFL that doesn't fly.  What do they want him to do when the CB cheats and interferes with him, punch him in the throat?  I don't see softness over the middle - I see him get his head banged off of the turf and come back for more.  I see a slithery, slippery quality on the quick routes.  I also see a sort of smoothness and connection to the QB that I don't see in some of the other WR prospects.  He bails out Mr. Beautiful Lawrence an awful lot for a 3rd round type of fellow.  Mims, Claypool, Shenault, Reagor...none of them seem to have the smooth mindmeld sort of pseudo-telepathic connection that Higgins had with Lawrence - to me that tells me that something cerebral is going on.  I guess Clemson took him off of the field once games were put away - he still put up ridiculous numbers in spite of it.  I'm sold.  The guy will be a good pro if he chooses to be.

Niang is one.  I worry about the hip a little bit, his coaches had him do some goofy stuff where he'll pull inside for no reason, but he has good reps against Chase Young.  When he was asked to be a straight up tackle, he was a good tackle.  His pass pro reps on 5 step drops may be better than some of the much-ballyhooed top OTs.

Lipscolm is one.  Again, it's a non-quantifiable sort of feel that I have about the guy.  An indescribable sort of "smoothness" and flashes of brilliance which hint at potentialities.  He's not a burner - but he is a deceptive mover in the short area.  I smell a bit of STs contributor mixed with Wes Welker.  I may just be smelling my own farts, or maybe I'm onto something.

Michigan interior o-line tickle my fancy - not sure why.  

Murray can be a really good modern LB type of dude if he wants to be.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 04:28 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I have some favorites in this class.

Higgins is one.  Supposedly the Bills were targeting him in the first and were so turned off by his pro day that they decided to trade four picks for Diggs rather than target a receiver in the first.  His 10 yard split time was abysmal.  Some of his other agility tests were bad.  People say some nasty things about him too.  "He's soft over the middle." ; "He can't beat press." ; "He has stiff hips." ; "He's just a slow possession guy." ; "He wilts against good competition."  I just don't buy it.  Guys like Okudah had to interfere with him in order to try to shut him down - in the NFL that doesn't fly.  What do they want him to do when the CB cheats and interferes with him, punch him in the throat?  I don't see softness over the middle - I see him get his head banged off of the turf and come back for more.  I see a slithery, slippery quality on the quick routes.  I also see a sort of smoothness and connection to the QB that I don't see in some of the other WR prospects.  He bails out Mr. Beautiful Lawrence an awful lot for a 3rd round type of fellow.  Mims, Claypool, Shenault, Reagor...none of them seem to have the smooth mindmeld sort of pseudo-telepathic connection that Higgins had with Lawrence - to me that tells me that something cerebral is going on.  I guess Clemson took him off of the field once games were put away - he still put up ridiculous numbers in spite of it.  I'm sold.  The guy will be a good pro if he chooses to be.

Niang is one.  I worry about the hip a little bit, his coaches had him do some goofy stuff where he'll pull inside for no reason, but he has good reps against Chase Young.  When he was asked to be a straight up tackle, he was a good tackle.  His pass pro reps on 5 step drops may be better than some of the much-ballyhooed top OTs.

Lipscolm is one.  Again, it's a non-quantifiable sort of feel that I have about the guy.  An indescribable sort of "smoothness" and flashes of brilliance which hint at potentialities.  He's not a burner - but he is a deceptive mover in the short area.  I smell a bit of STs contributor mixed with Wes Welker.  I may just be smelling my own farts, or maybe I'm onto something.

Michigan interior o-line tickle my fancy - not sure why.  

Murray can be a really good modern LB type of dude if he wants to be.

You seem to have a lot of "guys"  Hilarious.  Actually, it is all good stuff and I had not heard anything like that with Buffalo...That is pretty surprising given this year's WR class, but like us at LB...they need more than one.  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 01:05 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Edwards did look like he was oddly "plodding" at the combine...not sure what was going on there as he stumbled in both forties that he ran.  

Claypool could be a good selection if the Bengals don't have the LB they covey at #33, can trade back a bit, and gain an additional 3rd rounder.  They could take Claypool in the middle 2nd.  I think he is worth that, but I know I am in the minority. 

I may be confusing prospects right now, but I don't think Edwards ran at the combine, did he?

According to this article, he broke his foot preparing for the combine
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-combine-2020-receiver-bryan-edwards-suffers-broken-foot-will-not-participate-in-drills/

And I can't find any information on his combine drills.

Are we talking about the same Edwards?

As far as Claypool, if we traded down and picked up another 3rd rounder and took Claypool, I'd be fine with that. I like Pittman more than Claypool so if he were still there, I'd prefer him. But Claypool is an intriguing prospect with his size to speed combo. I've seen him compared to more refined version of Miles Boykin, who went in the 3rd round to Baltimore, so you can't hate the value there.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:11 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I may be confusing prospects right now, but I don't think Edwards ran at the combine, did he?

According to this article, he broke his foot preparing for the combine
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-combine-2020-receiver-bryan-edwards-suffers-broken-foot-will-not-participate-in-drills/

And I can't find any information on his combine drills.

Are we talking about the same Edwards?

As far as Claypool, if we traded down and picked up another 3rd rounder and took Claypool, I'd be fine with that. I like Pittman more than Claypool so if he were still there, I'd prefer him. But Claypool is an intriguing prospect with his size to speed combo. I've seen him compared to more refined version of Miles Boykin, who went in the 3rd round to Baltimore, so you can't hate the value there.

You're right?  Who was I watching....some WR that stumbled a bit in each run but still ran 4.5?  I couldn't find it now... Hilarious

I hope they don't slide because I could see Detroit taking Claypool.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 03:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The one player (aside from Joe Burrow) that I've included in every single mock draft I've put out this year, is Michael Pittman Jr. WR So. Cal.

It's out of my typical character to get locked onto a WR, as I'm typically a trenches guy. I know that he's not a popular pick among the board regulars, but that doesn't matter to me. With Pittman, everything that I've read or watched on him points toward him making a smooth transition to the pro game. At 6'4" 233 and 4.52 speed, strong frame that wins battles for the ball in the air. Comes from NFL bloodlines, reported that he carries himself with a professional's demeanor.

Sure, he doesn't have that blazing 4.38 speed of Denzel Mims, but John Ross is already our faster, speed demon. Pittman's 4.52 isn't slow by any measure, as AJ Green's combine 40 was 4.50, and he's been plenty fast enough for the NFL. With the WR class being so crowded, the Bengals, along with 31 other teams, will be fighting over defenders in the 2nd round. I just think that Pittman will be a tremendous value at the top of the 3rd, when in any typical draft class he'd likely go inside the top 40 picks.

Do you think Ross will still be here next year?

(04-12-2020, 09:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m trying to be realistic about “my guy” being there when we pick. Mims would be great, but will he be there at 33? Doubtful.

I was convinced there was no way Isaiah Wynn and Jonathan Allen would fall to us and then they did and we passed on them. Ed Oliver was my guy last year who I hoped would fall and he nearly fell to us.

Mims is my guy this year with Josh Jones a close second.

If history tells us anything it's that my guy won't go as high as I think he should.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:39 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Do you think Ross will still be here next year?

I was convinced there was no way Isaiah Wynn and Jonathan Allen would fall to us and then they did and we passed on them. Ed Oliver was my guy last year who I hoped would fall and he nearly fell to us.

If history tells us anything it's that my guy won't go as high as I think he should.

I loved Ed Oliver, too....I think Mims and Josh Jones would be great additions as well.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:39 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Do you think Ross will still be here next year?

Hard to say about Ross.  I mean if he stays healthy for an entire season, he quite possibly could still be here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If we slid in Rd 2, took Claypool, then got Dugger and ADG or Wilson in Rd 3 (with two picks), I would be ecstatic.  Actually looks a lot like my latest mock (12.0...I know, I'm obsessed with mock drafts). 

I will have to check out your Mock in a bit. Cool
Reply/Quote
Sadly... I like alot of the guys mentioned that we could actually draft.
Sadly my Fav won't de drafted by the Bengals, although I'd be ecstatic if they traded back and got a ton of picks and drafted Hurts in the late Second or start of third. If AD is still on the roster come draft time, just play it like we going with him lol. Lies lies lies. Hahah
Reply/Quote