Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who most impressed you tonight?
(08-10-2018, 07:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't want to sound like I am complaining, because we have been on the other side of the fence many times:  We make excuses why our #1s looked like crap and our backups beat their backups.  Complete opposite tonight.  

The good:  Starting offense made one mistake (Ross fell down).  They were carving up the Bears.  Dalton, Green, Mixon, Ross (less the one mistake...the deep ball thrown over his other shoulder is an easy 6 points...he made a nice adjustment and almost had it), Boyd, and the starting offensive line.  They all looked very good.  Ditto the starting defense.  Keivare Russell looked nice as a backup CB and that was something we needed to see.  Auden Tate is as advertised.  But can we please practice the damn jump ball not being out of bounds?  Billy Price is my new favorite Bengal.  With a pocket, and these weapons, Dalton will be amazing in 2018.

Now, where I don't want to sound like a complainer:  Guys we were hoping to get a taste of and see a spark of talent that seemingly did nothing:  Malik Jefferson (horrible angle on long run that Wilson caught). All the backup defensive linemen...did next to nothing.  All backup LBs...Bell made a nice play on a tipped ball but it should have been caught cleanly.  Redmond was a mystery:  He was a beast in run blocking, was the only guy of that group that didn't get shoved back, but had a false start and a bad whiff in pass pro (at least he stayed with it).  Westerman, coming off an illness where he lost 12 pounds, didn't look like the guy of a year ago.  He still has time to get his strength back, but I was disappointed. Mark Walton didn't look as good as Tra Carson...I will always wonder about that pick, as I think there was still some talent at OT on the board.

One last comment:  Do you think Fat Randy keeps his locker the hell away from the other kicker?  That kid looks like a RB!  I guess he turned down a scholarship to play soccer at Louisville, which has a really good soccer team, to play football.
I agree with you on several points I was not impressed with Walton at all he seemed hesitant.  Jefferson at at this point in time has has been underwhelming to say the least.  

I really like Jon Brown.  

Speaking of guards wouldn't have been nice if the Bengals were able to get Isaiah Wynn?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree with you on several points I was not impressed with Walton at all he seemed hesitant.  Jefferson at at this point in time has has been underwhelming to say the least.  

I really like Jon Brown.  

Speaking of guards wouldn't have been nice if the Bengals were able to get Isaiah Wynn?

Brown looks the part thus far; I was REALLY hoping (selfishly) that Giorgio Tavecchio would be brought in (I literally would've bought his jersey the day he gets signed. Literally), but Brown looks fantastic and his story is good enough too.

Better than Randy, plain and fat.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 10:41 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Yeah, didn't watch OG much (no need, done with him).  Fischer I figured I'd give another chance due to his condition last year.  But he just looks very weak, very slender for a tackle.  I realize tackles are supposed to be athletic but they also need to be able to hold their ground.  He needs to put on some muscle - heck, even his arms are under impressive for a professional football player.

Between OG and Fischer they should probably just cut bait and sign some last cut OL from other teams.  Seriously, no way they'd be any worse!

Agree. 2015 draft was a failure. Let’s move on from those mistakes. Both those tackles look like they gotta eat steak every day, workout heavy n drink protein. Just not the natural tackles we are going to need for the run game to improve.
Reply/Quote
I haven't rewatched much of the game yet but I did go back a watch a bit of Price's snaps at C and some of Tate and I have to say what I've seen so far looks good.

Price had a pretty solid game so him on O

And I'd say Evans on D

I'll expand to more later when I get to see more film. But to me there's just no way Tate doesn't make the team.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I agree with you on several points I was not impressed with Walton at all he seemed hesitant.  Jefferson at at this point in time has has been underwhelming to say the least.  

I really like Jon Brown.  

If I was going to do one thing different in the draft, it would have been to draft Shaq Griffin, the one-handed ass kicker that was ALL over the field for Seattle last night and not Malik Jefferson.  They, AGAIN, fell for the body type instead of the football player.

I know, I know...overreaction day.  One preseason game, etc.  But LB is a position of instincts first and foremost and Jefferson didn't look to have any last night and that was the knock on him coming out of college.  
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Considering this was the Bengals 1st pre-season game and the Bears 2nd, I was elated with how our 1's steamrolled their 1s. AJ and Boyd look good, Malone is really bringing it and looked great. Erickson is his usual reliable self. And good grief, just throw it into a crowd and let Tate grab it. His hands are golden.
I was happy to see Marvin go right back at Ross after he fell and caused the interception. Sitting him would have been a huge mistake with his confidence. Ross came up with an up and down, but good game. The more he plays, the more confident he will become.
I thought Westerman looked good..... so I may be in disagreement with most on that one.
Jordan Evans shows like a starting linebacker should...… fast and strong. Vigil, no longer on a bum ankle, looked fast and solid.
Hubbard was constantly "almost" getting to the QB, but it was almost like he is overpursuing… he will be a beast when he gets it.
Fej….. what can you say, love the guy!!!
Andy looks great. Driskell looked ok. The other guy blows chunks. I really think they need to give the kid (name escapes me right now) from UCF a look at QB and maybe kill two stones with one roster spot.
Kevarie Russel is a good CB, and could start for us without much drop off should the need arise.
Kermit is fun to watch.
Redmon can't pass protect.
Og is going to continue to screw this football team until the day they get rid of him. Fisher didn't show much better....

The whole team seemed to have a different attitude this year, which is refreshing. If they keep it up, I see huge things on the horizon.

This is an excellent point.  And having watched that first Bears game, I will tell you that Tyler Bray looked like a different guy than a week ago. 
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 01:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I was going to do one thing different in the draft, it would have been to draft Shaq Griffin, the one-handed ass kicker that was ALL over the field for Seattle last night and not Malik Jefferson.  They, AGAIN, fell for the body type instead of the football player.

I know, I know...overreaction day.  One preseason game, etc.  But LB is a position of instincts first and foremost and Jefferson didn't look to have any last night and that was the knock on him coming out of college.  

I agree with that. Only saw highlights of the game, but did see the long run from Nall. Jefferson had him at the line but just kind of stood there and watched him get outside of him. Not sure what he was doing or thinking.....
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Overall I was extremely happy with the teams performance last night. I, as everyone, was looking for the offensive line to be aggressive, open holes for the runners and keep the pocket clean. They did very well at this as a unit. Price was error free and they were able to give Gio room to run. Tate was good. I want to see him get some snaps with the first stringers in the next game to get a better idea of how good he is. It seems that with Eifert's fragility, he would be a great asset to improve our red zone touchdowns when Eifert goes down again.

The only thing that was a little concerning to me was the seeming lack of depth on Defense.
Reply/Quote
Price, Billings and Tate impressed me the most, but our first team played well top to bottom.

Hope our backup OLmen get better and our rookie LB's get better though. Jefferson and Worley didnt play much after the 69 yard run. No excuse for that. Walton couldnt run nearly as effectively as any other RB we had on the field either. I was a little shocked by that but its only 1 game and his very fist at that.
Reply/Quote
I don't hold PFF to high standards but just something to take with a grain of salt.

#Bengals offensive tackles Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi each allowed two total pressures across 12 and 19 pass-block snaps, respectively.

Cordy Glenn, on the other hand, allowed zero total pressures across 12 pass-block snaps in his Cincy debut.

#Bengals G Christian Westerman, the team's highest-graded offensive lineman from last night's contest, allowed zero total pressures across 25 pass-block snaps.

Very, very good game for the third-year Arizona State product.

We knew Glenn was an obvious upgrade, but you have to think that Westerman gets the start at RG or gets some burn with the 1st team in the next game right?
Reply/Quote
In case not mentioned, I found it interesting watching Dunlap line up last night at RDE versus left at the start of the game. I like a DE may not be able to know how to roll pass protection until the break the huddle, just one more thing they may have to think about depending where we have Carlos, Geno, Lawson and others lined up.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Geno & AJ of course. Evans, Lawson, Billings & Malone all played well. Andy doesn’t have much behind him.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 03:05 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I don't hold PFF to high standards but just something to take with a grain of salt.

#Bengals offensive tackles Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi each allowed two total pressures across 12 and 19 pass-block snaps, respectively.

Cordy Glenn, on the other hand, allowed zero total pressures across 12 pass-block snaps in his Cincy debut.

#Bengals G Christian Westerman, the team's highest-graded offensive lineman from last night's contest, allowed zero total pressures across 25 pass-block snaps.

We knew Glenn was an obvious upgrade, but you have to think that Westerman gets the start at RG or gets some burn with the 1st team in the next game right?

I would think he would go with the #1s next game, yes.  He deserves that, and he played better at the end of the season last year than Hopkins ever did.  
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 03:05 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I don't hold PFF to high standards but just something to take with a grain of salt.

Did you happen to see anything about Hopkins and Redmond?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:18 AM)Beaker Wrote: Cam we cut Barkley and Driskell and sign Tyler Bray as our #2?

Thinking the same thing
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 01:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I was going to do one thing different in the draft, it would have been to draft Shaq Griffin, the one-handed ass kicker that was ALL over the field for Seattle last night and not Malik Jefferson.  They, AGAIN, fell for the body type instead of the football player.

This - totally.   Wasn't sure he'd pan out,  but I was reasonably sure that Jefferson wouldn't.   Lap says once he gets it figured out he'll be a stud.

I do not think he will ever figure it out.   Bad pick from the get go.  He's going to waste a roster spot because he's a third rounder.

Unless he shows something in the preseason I'd cut bait.
Reply/Quote
I was happy that the corners (including Russell) looked OK.   Was shocked that WJIII got beat so bad in the beginning of the game.  Dennard made a nice play in space.  Dre seemed good, but still is a really poor tackler

Andy, AJ and the left side of the line looked pretty good.  Right guard was a problem.  I'm not a fan of Hopkins.

While Geno  and Dunlap looked good, the 1s still struggle with the TE over the middle, though I'll say Evans was at least on him.  Wonder if we should use Iloka there and put Bates up top.  Iloka has the length and speed to deal with the TEs.  Just a thought.   But we simply could not stop them over the middle.

Run defense is still a concern.  The backups could not stop the run to save their life.

Gio looked great.

Love Tate.  They need to use him a lot more than just in the red zone.  He's a gamer
Reply/Quote
Offensive tackles outside of Cordy Glenn struggled...Price had some whiffs and Alex Redmond had a rough game. Westerman played well at LG but never got a shot at RG or C even with TJ Johnson struggling as the backup center.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

It's too late now but it was apparent to some people on this board that Griffin was the better Prospect. 

What you're seeing out of Jefferson is not likely to change even with coaching it's similar to what we saw with the safety Taylor Mays
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote