Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who most impressed you tonight?
(08-10-2018, 05:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It's too late now but it was apparent to some people on this board that Griffin was the better Prospect. 

What you're seeing out of Jefferson is not likely to change even with coaching it's similar to what we saw with the safety Taylor Mays

One piece of one pre season game and he's done for?  Seems rash to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Linebacker is one of the positions you know right away because it’s see ball tackle guy . Just like running back. Another position where a rookie can excel in right off the bat. I did not like what I saw from him last night. Where Griffin was all over the field. I remember watching Rivers against the Ravens and telling my friends, he’s gonna he a bust. Look like Tarzan played like Jane.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 01:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I was going to do one thing different in the draft, it would have been to draft Shaq Griffin, the one-handed ass kicker that was ALL over the field for Seattle last night and not Malik Jefferson.  They, AGAIN, fell for the body type instead of the football player.

I know, I know...overreaction day.  One preseason game, etc.  But LB is a position of instincts first and foremost and Jefferson didn't look to have any last night and that was the knock on him coming out of college.  

Griffin is a beast. That dude brings it every snap he plays. Jefferson was definitely underwhelming last night, and I have really been pulling for him. I hope he pulls it together because we could really use some quality depth at LB.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:38 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Brown looks the part thus far; I was REALLY hoping (selfishly) that Giorgio Tavecchio would be brought in (I literally would've bought his jersey the day he gets signed. Literally), but Brown looks fantastic and his story is good enough too.

Better than Randy, plain and fat.

Before last night, Brown had never kicked in a game. He may be great, but he hasn't proven anything yet. SO to say he is better than Randy, plain and fat... is a bit premature.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 05:41 PM)McC Wrote: One piece of one pre season game and he's done for?  Seems rash to me.

I'm going by prior scouting reports and his body of work in his College as well. In this edit I wanted to add the Jefferson is good in the box and it running straight at somebody. The criticism I have is with regarding the angle in open field tackling and positioning.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Josh Malone impressed me the most.
3 catches for 41 yards & the penalty where he was held.
Didn’t see this coming, looked very polished, great routes.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 08:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I'm going by prior scouting reports and his body of work in his College as well.  In this edit I wanted to add the Jefferson is good in the box and it running straight at somebody.  The criticism I have is with regarding the angle in open field tackling and positioning.

I think he will be with more practice and game experience. That is the reason he dropped to the third round.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 12:32 AM)HuDey Wrote: Just to be different I am going with Jonathan Brown for being the most unkickerish looking kicker that I have ever seen.

So true.  He has the thighs of an East German power lifter.  You could give him a number in the 20's and line him up in the backfield and he would at least look the part.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 05:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It's too late now but it was apparent to some people on this board that Griffin was the better Prospect. 

What you're seeing out of Jefferson is not likely to change even with coaching it's similar to what we saw with the safety Taylor Mays

Great analogy.  Stud athlete with zero instincts.

I was really pissed that we didn't take Griffin.  People said he wasn't big enough forget that he was almost identical in size to Odell Thurman.
Reply/Quote
Late to the party and could only see the highlights but damn did that first Line look completely different than last
season. Price held a pocket for Andy to step into, Glenn looked great at LT, actually saw Boling get pushed back
more than these two on the AJ Green catch to set up the first TD. Hart looked good thank God, need Westerman
at RG from what i am hearing. Don't put much stock in PFF but he graded out as our best O-lineman.

Mixon is a stud, still have to say this guy is going to have a huge year. Ross will get it down, we saw the explosion.

Auden Tate is the real deal and we need to have him taking some snaps with the 1's. Love how Malone finally
showed up when his number was called. Thought he would of been better last year with all the injuries and the
lack of playmaking from the other Receivers, but hey, if the O-line don't give you time, cannot make plays.

Pretty cool that Geno, Carlos and Lawson all seem to already be in regular season form. Malik took a bad angle
but i still have hope for him if he can learn. Brandon Wilson saved a TD and once again i will say that i think this
guy will be our breakout player that no one talks about.

Love hearing about Evans and Vigil looking great, to me this is the most encouraging from our biggest question
besides O-line going into this game.

Have to give a ROCK ON FELLAS! Rock On
Reply/Quote
Gio Bernard. Loved the attitude....and frankly....he outplayed Mixon.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gio Bernard. Loved the attitude....and frankly....he outplayed Mixon.

Saw no highlights of Gio, just the great play by Mixon in the highlights so that is all i had to go off of.

Great duo man, heard Gio ran strong and as you say with attitude. Great to hear, think these two can be
the best duo in the league honestly if the O-line continues to open holes. BTW, that was a nice hole that
Brian Hill run through, must of been Westerman or Redmond that opened that one up.

Walton better watch it unless we keep 4 RB's, Hill is no punk.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 01:09 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I was going to do one thing different in the draft, it would have been to draft Shaq Griffin, the one-handed ass kicker that was ALL over the field for Seattle last night and not Malik Jefferson.  They, AGAIN, fell for the body type instead of the football player.

I know, I know...overreaction day.  One preseason game, etc.  But LB is a position of instincts first and foremost and Jefferson didn't look to have any last night and that was the knock on him coming out of college.  

The knock on Jefferson was lack of instincts but some said it was due to having a change is scheme every year. the 'knock' on Shaq was his hand missing but in college the guy just played. When you look at some of the weak LB's we have drafted over the years they always lacked instincts or work ethic. Should just pick guys who play good football at that spot.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 07:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Before last night, Brown had never kicked in a game. He may be great, but he hasn't proven anything yet. SO to say he is better than Randy, plain and fat... is a bit premature.

I never said that Brown was better.

I said his STORY was better than Randy, plain and fat.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2018, 09:53 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Josh Malone impressed me the most.
3 catches for 41 yards & the penalty where he was held.
Didn’t see this coming, looked very polished, great routes.

Josh Malone can be the next Marvin Jones.

I don't hang around the draft forum as much as I used to, but the guys who have been there a while will confirm that I don't automatically like a player just because he is from UT.  I saw every game Malone played in college and he is an extremely talented WR.  He averaged 19.4 ypc and had 11 tds his final season.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:25 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The knock on Jefferson was lack of instincts but some said it was due to having a change is scheme every year. the 'knock' on Shaq was his hand missing but in college the guy just played. When you look at some of the weak LB's we have drafted over the years they always lacked instincts or work ethic. Should just pick guys who play good football at that spot.

They had an issue with the lack of size for Griffin, but I simply don't get that at all.  His ridiculous speed and ability to cover out of the backfield is exactly what we needed to match up against TEs, RBs, etc.  I think they nailed this draft overall, but I really REALLY wanted Griffin and wish they would have taken him over Jefferson.  Oh, well.  
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 11:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ll pick one player from each side of the ball:

On O it was Auden Tate with a couple great catches and a TD in the 2nd half. I think he made the team tonight.

On D it was Jordan Evans. He seemed to be all over the place.

Mostly positive tonight other than Ross falling down resulting in a pick 6, and Barkley looking awful. Hopefully he lost the backup job cause I don’t see him getting any better the next few games.

Who you got?

Agree 100% with Tate, I disagree however about Jordan Evans and his level of play.  He will be given every opportunity to get substantial time with Vontaze out but I haven't seen him step up and make the plays a starter should.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2018, 11:54 PM)RockyMountainBengal Wrote: AJ, Mixon, Tate

Mixon was fired up behind the bench.

Yes have to love Mixons fire/excitement..............
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw no highlights of Gio, just the great play by Mixon in the highlights so that is all i had to go off of.

Great duo man, heard Gio ran strong and as you say with attitude. Great to hear, think these two can be
the best duo in the league honestly if the O-line continues to open holes. BTW, that was a nice hole that
Brian Hill run through, must of been Westerman or Redmond that opened that one up.

Walton better watch it unless we keep 4 RB's, Hill is no punk.

I was surprised with the Walton pick since I thought Hill was a solid #3 RB. I know the Falcons regretted letting him go. They wanted him back behind Freeman and Coleman. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 01:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gio Bernard. Loved the attitude....and frankly....he outplayed Mixon.

I didn't see it that way. Gio had more carries. Mixon touched the ball on each of the 1st downs in the first drive, two were runs. Then he had a great catch and run for the TD. I see Mixon as a better receiver than Bernard.

Bernard ran hard, but so did Mixon especially on the yards after the catch.

Reply/Quote