Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who remembers THE onside kick?
As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

Say what you will but Sam Wyche knew how to motivate. Remember:

“You don’t live in Cleveland!”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

Oh, that was funny!

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:58 PM)Joelist Wrote: As in Sam Wyche calling an onside kick when leading the Oilers 45-0 because he (rightly as it turned out) detested Jerry Glanville? Lest we forget he also went for it on fourth down while leading 38-0 and even kicked a FG in the closing seconds.

I remember those old AFC Central black and bluer division days.  Wyche, Shottenheimer, Noll and Glanville.  Those teams all hated each other.

Another thing about that Oiler game i remember:  The media asked Sam after the game if he had any regrets in regards to kicking that late filed goal to make the score I think was 61 - 7.  He said "Yes, he regretted there wasn't a few more seconds on the clock so they could score more!"

Classic Sam Wyche.
Reply/Quote
But, but,  but Marvin doesn't believe in hurting other teams feelings..  Personally I'm in favor of it except for the fact that it often comes back to bite us in the..uhh..ankles.. Yeah, that's it. Ankles. . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I sure do.....love Sammy.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Sounds like the kind of coach I would have loved to watch.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Sounds like the kind of coach I would have loved to watch.

It was never dull.....that's for sure.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: But, but,  but Marvin doesn't believe in hurting other teams feelings..  Personally I'm in favor of it except for the fact that it often comes back to bite us in the..uhh..ankles.. Yeah, that's it. Ankles. . 

It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.

Hey, the 90s were great. I got my first DUI in the 90s during football season in fact.    
Yeah, I see your point . Lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It sounds like the kind of coach that gets someone hurt with a dirty shot for running up the score...
Reply/Quote
A time when we could actually dictate a game how and when we wanted.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:46 AM)jason Wrote: It came back to bite us back then too... It was called the 90's.

That's when Son of Paul took the reins and unceremoniously fired Wyche too..... Cool

Reply/Quote