Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's the "Best of the Rest" !!!
You folks know NFL personnel a lot better than I do. If we don't bag this Collins guy , who else is still out there and available that would help us out on our line. List your top three or four, please. I'd like to know who to keep an eye on, as I know free agency is still ongoing. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm mostly interesting in hearing about OL guys but feel free to list someone on defense as well if you like.
Reply/Quote
Armstead is the big prize but I like Duane Brown 37 but so durable of late, be a nice gap as we look to draft put franchise RT for the next 5 to 10 years
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Armstead is the big prize but I like Duane Brown 37 but so durable of late, be a nice gap as we look to draft put franchise RT for the next 5 to 10 years

Duane Brown is the same age Whit was when he left Cincy and he's had a better career to date. Gimme him for out next Super Bowl run. Then offer Jonah an extension equal to what we offered Collins. 

Brown-Carman-Karras-Cappa-Williams is an oline I could live with. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Duane Brown is the same age Whit was when he left Cincy and he's had a better career to date. Gimme him for out next Super Bowl run. Then offer Jonah an extension equal to what we offered Collins. 

Brown-Carman-Karras-Cappa-Williams is an oline I could live with. 

Haven’t you jumped on people at the mere mention of switching Jonah to the right side?

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Haven’t you jumped on people at the mere mention of switching Jonah to the right side?

I did and I've mentioned my change of heart once I saw Terron Armstead interviewed this off season. Jonah's a fine LT and if it comes to the draft, no one available at 31 is as good as him, but I'd move him for an elite vet. 

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Haven’t you jumped on people at the mere mention of switching Jonah to the right side?

Jonah aint that good on the left side either.  Maybe he should play Center??
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 04:26 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Jonah aint that good on the left side either.  Maybe he should play Center??

Jonah is a good young LT. He has room to improve like any other 24 year old player. And if you moved him center would be the last spot to put him.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:04 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Armstead is the big prize but I like Duane Brown 37 but so durable of late, be a nice gap as we look to draft put franchise RT for the next 5 to 10 years

I could get behind that if they hire someone from the outside to draft the RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 04:26 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Jonah aint that good on the left side either.  Maybe he should play Center??

Ain’t that good?! He’s not “elite” but he’s average to above average at worst and has still played less than two full seasons in the NFL. He looks like he will continue to improve. I’d be all for trying to lock him up to an extension now to save us from having to pay way more in a year or two.

Say what you will about PFF, it’s not perfect, but Jonah had a higher grade this year than a guy like Orlando Brown has ever had and he’s been in the league longer than Jonah.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the team should limit itself to looking at o-linemen when it comes to pivoting from Collins. They still have a major need at corner. it's debatable but not crazy to say they could use help on the d-line and at TE as well. There are many veteran corners that could give them quality snaps, not to mention very good interior linemen that can provide depth and pressure in more limited roles. I wouldn't get upset about them signing edge rushing depth, either.

The Bucs and Rams signed plenty of one-time star players (Suh, Gronk, Sherman, Brown, Miller, Weddle) that played major roles on championship teams. Our major young cornerstones are in place and unquestioned. There's nothing wrong with signing some good older vets on one year deals to get over the hump to a title.

As to specifics, I'm looking at Duane Brown, Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, Gronk, Suh, Akiem Hicks, Jerry Hughes, etc.
Reply/Quote
Need to re-sign Spain just in case we need him at RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:19 AM)samhain Wrote: I don't think the team should limit itself to looking at o-linemen when it comes to pivoting from Collins. They still have a major need at corner.

The need at corner is far less than the need of having at least 1 more decent o-lineman on this line
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Need to re-sign Spain just in case we need him at RT.

Has he ever even played OT?

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Has he ever even played OT?

Only in an emergency situation.  He started at RT against Pitt in 2020 when most of our line was out with injury.  But I don't think that qualifies him as a legit RT.  Hell, we had so many injuries that Shaq Calhoun started at OG for us.  I don't think anyone wants him back based on that.
Reply/Quote

Holy smokes. I must have been really hammered last night because I don't even remember typing this. We won our pool league championship and I think the celebration got out of control.  Ouch.  My head hurts. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I did and I've mentioned my change of heart once I saw Terron Armstead interviewed this off season. Jonah's a fine LT and if it comes to the draft, no one available at 31 is as good as him, but I'd move him for an elite vet. 

This is one of the main reasons I was so high on Collins...not only was he affordable, more durable, but his position was RT.  

I hate to hold injury history against Armstead but if the best ability is availability, he has only been slightly above average....
Reply/Quote
Is Riley Reiff too old and injury prone to be a consideration?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only in an emergency situation.  He started at RT against Pitt in 2020 when most of our line was out with injury.  But I don't think that qualifies him as a legit RT.  Hell, we had so many injuries that Shaq Calhoun started at OG for us.  I don't think anyone wants him back based on that.

He did surprisingly well in that game. And he played tackle in college. Now he's not my first choice, but he's good to have for a backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 11:48 AM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Is Riley Reiff too old and injury prone to be a consideration?

As a starter, yes.
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised Efic Fisher isn't getting more interest. Dude had a down year last year as he recovered from a torn Achilles but he started every game but 1. He's been quite duable and is only 1 year removed from a Pro Bowl season

Reply/Quote