Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who should be the next DC?
Would love Wade Phillips, even though I'm partial to a 4-3 setup. But that guy's resume speaks for itself. If not, I've been on the Jim Leonhard bandwagon for a while. I was even coveting him as a HC prospect if they were going young.
Reply/Quote
If Lou gets fired and Zac stays, I think it’s going to be slim picking for a new DC.

Zac would be entering a make or break year, and with another dismal season could be fired. What DC candidate with other options would want to align themselves with Zac, only to possibly be fired after 1 season when a new head coach comes in and wants to bring in “their guys”.

Unless the DC candidate really believes in Zac and his ability to turn things around, I would think a young DC candidate will see this as possibly a 1-year gig and not very appealing. The exception would be guys like Zimmer and Dan Quinn who would be looking for another head coaching opportunity and may just have to wait out a year to possibly supplant Zac.
Reply/Quote
Zimmer won't get fired. His coaching has actually won them some games this year. He can't help losing his whole defense in the off-season. His coaching on defense has them on a pretty good run minus the close loss this week.

I like Dan Quinn or Wade Phillips.

Last year I wanted Todd Bowles or Jack Del Rio. That didn't happen. It's likely more Taylor and Lou next year. They better learn how to coach quick, or we're in for another long season next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd go shopping in my own backyard no problem.
The next Bengals DC should be: Luke Fickell...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
I think Dean Pees is technically retired, but it might be worth a try to pry him out.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to go outside of the box and say Matt Finkes. That way, when Zac finishes crashing and burning, there will at least be a successful UC coach to step into the role.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree with all the Wade Phillips mentions. Makes a ton of sense if we’re stuck with Taylor. We know Zac only hires guy’s he’s worked with before, and Phillips would instantly bring a level of experience we’re sorely lacking.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 05:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ray Horton

Odds are they would hire Horton the Elephant.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 10:20 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Odds are they would hire Horton the Elephant.

Horton hears a Who Dey?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2020, 04:49 PM)J24 Wrote: Kris richard or Dan Quin.

I believe Quinn will find his way back to Seattle.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I know everybody's out for ZTs head, but let's face it, we all know he's back next year. But Anarumo is more likely gone. And because I prefer to use this board to talk about solutions (rather than just griping all the time), I wanted to start a thread on possible DC candidates.

Anthony Weaver. Currently Houston's DC, often talked about as a future head coach. I wonder if whomever their new coach is will clean out the staff, freeing Weaver up to come here. Former NFL D-lineman.

Aaron Glenn. Former NFL CB and current CB coach of the Saints. Often talked about as a future DC. Either of these guys should be able to command the respect of the players, whereas Anarumo does not.

Keep seeing buzz around here about Kerry Coombs, Ohio State DC. I don't know enough about him to say. Is that a legit possibility, or is the buzz just because he's local? I know he was a big time high school coach and his son used to coach here.

Any other thoughts? Please nobody say Marvin Lewis.... he might be a fine DC but there's no way he's coming back.
Reply/Quote
How about Matt Patricia?

I’d be surprised if he survived the offseason as Lions HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 04:19 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I know everybody's out for ZTs head, but let's face it, we all know he's back next year.

Yeah, and everyone knew that the Bengals front office would not spend much money on free agents last off season.
Reply/Quote
It is not on this page so I am not going to jump you for missing it, but

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Who-should-be-the-next-DC
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not on this page so I am not going to jump you for missing it, but

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Who-should-be-the-next-DC

Oops, didn't know about that thread. 
Reply/Quote
If Taylor is retained then none of us have even heard of the nobody that will accept the job. No one who has any self worth or dignity is going to work under one of the worst coaches in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 04:19 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I know everybody's out for ZTs head, but let's face it, we all know he's back next year. But Anarumo is more likely gone. And because I prefer to use this board to talk about solutions (rather than just griping all the time), I wanted to start a thread on possible DC candidates.

Anthony Weaver. Currently Houston's DC, often talked about as a future head coach. I wonder if whomever their new coach is will clean out the staff, freeing Weaver up to come here. Former NFL D-lineman.

Aaron Glenn. Former NFL CB and current CB coach of the Saints. Often talked about as a future DC. Either of these guys should be able to command the respect of the players, whereas Anarumo does not.

Keep seeing buzz around here about Kerry Coombs, Ohio State DC. I don't know enough about him to say. Is that a legit possibility, or is the buzz just because he's local? I know he was a big time high school coach and his son used to coach here.

Any other thoughts? Please nobody say Marvin Lewis.... he might be a fine DC but there's no way he's coming back.

We dont need any COLLEGE DC who has no nfl experience.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 06:52 PM)pulses Wrote: We dont need any COLLEGE DC who has no nfl experience.

Kerry Coombs was on Mike Vrabel's Titans staff before OSU.  He coached the DBs to a top 10 passing defense including a league-high number of sacks.  His defenses have always been successful

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2020, 06:52 PM)pulses Wrote: We dont need any COLLEGE DC who has no nfl experience.

Please God no not Kerry Combs. Or anyone from college ball. Coaching when you have far superior talent to everyone and coaching in the NFL where teams are pretty close to even are not even close. 

I think Patricia is actually a pretty good thought. Not sure he would come here but I feel like it would be a huge upgrade over what we currently have. Plus he walks in with instant credibility/respect. 
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Rob Ryan is gainfully employed at the moment. Neither is Dean Pees. Wade Phillips wouldn’t lower himself to come to Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote