Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who was it on here that made the thread last year about Sam Hubbard being the best DE
Against the run?

I remember someone producing a stat from PFF or something that ranked Hubbard as the leagues best DE in run support?

Does anyone remember this? Also does anyone know where he ranked this year? Did he take a step forward or did he regress?

I saw in 2019 he had like 8 sacks, then only had 2 in 2020, but had 7.5 this year. Those sack numbers aren’t crazy, so I’m wondering if Ossai really is healthy how much danger is Sam’s job realistically in?

Or would we consider pulling the trigger on the move to OLB, and make Wilson and Hubbard our outside backers?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Ossai is a 250 pound LB/DE.

I hope he plays a lot of snaps as a pass rusher, but he is not even close to taking Hubbard's job.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 04:38 PM)Housh Wrote: Against the run?

I remember someone producing a stat from PFF or something that ranked Hubbard as the leagues best DE in run support?

Does anyone remember this? Also does anyone know where he ranked this year? Did he take a step forward or did he regress?

I saw in 2019 he had like 8 sacks, then only had 2 in 2020, but had 7.5 this year. Those sack numbers aren’t crazy, so I’m wondering if Ossai really is healthy how much danger is Sam’s job realistically in?

Or would we consider pulling the trigger on the move to OLB, and make Wilson and Hubbard our outside backers?

Don't remember the poster who made that thread but I definitely remember Sam being the best edge against the run in 2020.

He really worked on stopping the run specifically that Offseason and even spoke about it openly as he thought he struggled in 
this aspect in 2019. In 2020 Sam was even hurt playing with a bad shoulder and did that against the run. I think his pass rush
suffered from the shoulder injury.

I don't see Ossai taking Hubbard's starting spot as he will be used as more of a speller and splash play maker in versatile ways
by Mad Scientist Lou.

(05-27-2022, 04:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ossai is a 250 pound LB/DE.

I hope he plays a lot of snaps as a pass rusher, but he is not even close to taking Hubbard's job.

Agree, they are different types of players honestly.
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Sam-Hubbard-acknowledgement-thread

Are you talking about this thread?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

Via PFF's run defense grade (take it with a grain of salt), he is ranked as the 68th best edge defender against the run. In 2020, he was the 44th. 
Reply/Quote
I really doubt Ossai will be pushing Hubbard out of a job already.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really doubt Ossai will be pushing Hubbard out of a job already.

this thread is funny
We saw basically one preseason game where Ossai gave us some good plays and now we are worried he may take Hubbards job and the guy STILL isnt fully recovered from his injury? Hubbard is solid, and often unspectacular but every time I forget he is out there he makes a play or two that reminds me why he is. Im kind of excited about that FA Tisdale...amazing numbers for a guy 6-5 , 280#
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Via PFF's run defense grade (take it with a grain of salt), he is ranked as the 68th best edge defender against the run. In 2020, he was the 44th. 

What stat was he ranked #1.  I don't remember what it was but I remember seeing it.

Is there a "win rate" for running plays?  I don't think so.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What stat was he ranked #1.  I don't remember what it was but I remember seeing it.

Is there a "win rate" for running plays?  I don't think so.

Yes. Sam Hubbard had the highest run stop win rate for and edge defender in 2020.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

He was Second behind Cam Jordan in 2021.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Yes. Sam Hubbard had the highest run stop win rate for and edge defender in 2020.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

Nice even if it is espn. Thought Sam was a much better pass rusher last year than in 2020 too.

He works his ass off every offseason in trying to perfect his game. Love his effort, one of my favorite Bengals ever already.
Reply/Quote
Sam I Am's job is secure

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 05:36 PM)kalibengal Wrote: this thread is funny
We saw basically one preseason game where Ossai gave us some good plays and now we are worried he may take Hubbards job and the guy STILL isnt fully recovered from his injury? Hubbard is solid, and often unspectacular but every time I forget he is out there he makes a play or two that reminds me why he is. Im kind of excited about that FA Tisdale...amazing numbers for a guy 6-5 , 280#

Yeah, people that think Ossai is ready to be an every down DE don't understand him very well, but to be fair, KB, that one preseason game he was with the #1s, against #1s, and his stat line was like he was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.  Lots of hype, for sure, but lots to be excited about.

Dan Hoard had a nice interview with him on the most recent Bengals Booth Podcast.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Yes. Sam Hubbard had the highest run stop win rate for and edge defender in 2020.

Boom.

I knew it was something
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 06:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice even if it is espn.

Actually "win rates" are based on GPS tracking devices the players wear.  It has nothing to do with wonky subjective stats or formulas.
Reply/Quote
Guy played in 2 preseason games and left the game hurt both times. He is still on a rehab field nearly a year later.

I don't think Sam Hubbard's position is in any danger. Lol... certainly not in danger of being a DE who ran a 4.95 getting moved to OLB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 07:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Guy played in 2 preseason games and left the game hurt both times. He is still on a rehab field nearly a year later.

I don't think Sam Hubbard's position is in any danger. Lol... certainly not in danger of being a DE who ran a 4.95 getting moved to OLB.

Who ran a 4.95?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 09:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who ran a 4.95?

Sam Hubbard at his Pro Day according to Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hubbard

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/ContentGallery/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Pro-Day-40-yard-dash-times-116565373/#116565373_2
This says 4.89 unofficial at his Pro Day.

Either way, it's not modern day LB speed.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, people that think Ossai is ready to be an every down DE don't understand him very well, but to be fair, KB, that one preseason game he was with the #1s, against #1s, and his stat line was like he was the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.  Lots of hype, for sure, but lots to be excited about.

Dan Hoard had a nice interview with him on the most recent Bengals Booth Podcast.  

Would have to be blind not to see that raw talent Ossai has.

(05-29-2022, 01:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually "win rates" are based on GPS tracking devices the players wear.  It has nothing to do with wonky subjective stats or formulas.

Oh yeah, just track the guy and don't watch him actually win on the play. That is how it works. Sarcasm

(05-29-2022, 07:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Guy played in 2 preseason games and left the game hurt both times. He is still on a rehab field nearly a year later.

Don't understand what Hubbard's forty time has to do with Ossai, they are completely different types of players.

Although both can drop into coverage as Hubbard played Safety in High School.

We saw how good Hubbard can be in the AFC Championship. You don't take that guy off the field unless you need a splash
play from a guy like Ossai on passing downs. Still, they are really different players. Hubbard is a hard working, disciplined End
that will do whatever is asked of him. Ossai is just way more talented and yes, needs to stay healthy.

(05-29-2022, 10:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sam Hubbard at his Pro Day according to Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hubbard

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/ContentGallery/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Pro-Day-40-yard-dash-times-116565373/#116565373_2
This says 4.89 unofficial at his Pro Day.

Either way, it's not modern day LB speed.

Hubbard isn't a LB. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Here are Hubbard's run defense PFF ratings by year:
2021 - 57.1
2020 - 69.1
2019 - 73.7
2018 - 67.0

Pass rush by year:
2021 - 61.0
2020 - 59.1
2019 - 61.0
2018 - 64.5
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2022, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't understand what Hubbard's forty time has to do with Ossai, they are completely different types of players.

Hubbard isn't a LB. Mellow

The OP said...

Quote:Or would we consider pulling the trigger on the move to OLB, and make Wilson and Hubbard our outside backers?

...so Hubbard's 40 time has to do with him simply not having LB speed, because I agreed he's not a LB.

Reply/Quote