Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who would you rather have for all 16 games?
(08-19-2020, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not trying to say it is Ross.  But why is it automatically Green?  

Because he's clearly the better player when healthy.

That's like asking who would you rather have as your QB this season: Aaron Rodgers or Blake Bortles.

I can find small stretches of games to project Bortles to appear to much greater than he is too. 

The fact is John Ross did the bulk of his damage in only 2 games.  Over 50% of his yards, and ALL of his TD's came in weeks 1 and 2.  Then for the rest of the season he didn't do all that much.

The guy played in 13 games in '18 and produced a whopping 210 yards.

This isn't even a contest.  Until John Ross can actually prove he's elite you can't out him against a guy like AJ Green.  It's not even close.
Reply/Quote
A closer fight would be Mixon or Green for 16 games and I still might lean toward Green.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yet, individually, Ross got nearly 3 yards per reception more than Green. 

Career YPR averages:

AJ Green - 14.8

John Ross - 14.6
Reply/Quote
I think the true answer is having both out there.
Ross and AJ both have deep ability. AJ is more sure-handed than Ross but Ross is faster and more agile.
Both on the field should really open up underneath routes for Mixon, Uzomah, and Higgins/Tate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Career history?  Absolutely.  2020 season?  Are you that certain?  

Green in 16 games in 2017 (THREE seasons ago):  1070 yards.
Ross in 8 games last year:  500 yards.  

Ross has roughly 3 YPR greater average (bigger plays) and scores more often than Green based on TDs per reception.  

Ross in 13 games in the season before: 210 yards. And the year before that: 0 yards.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nate was responding to something in another thread with (paraphrasing) a statement that he feels having Green on the field is more important to the rest of the team than Ross.

It seemed pretty logical to me.  Green is more reliable, and has an unbelievable catch radius.  However, upon closer examination, I would rather have Ross.  

Here's why:

Ross gets separation faster than any receiver on the team.  DBs will give him a bigger cushion.  Safeties will drop, helping the rushing attack as well as opening up the middle of the field.  He has that home run ability and I think we finally have the QB to not underthrow him and can hit him deep on extended plays.  

AJ is a great player, and if he is healthy for all 16 games, he is a Mr. Reliable and a sure-handed target.  But remember, they have already started moving Green to the slot at times, to help him shake some of the coverage.  We have Boyd for that.  

If I could only have one of the two for 16 games, I would take Ross.

Thoughts?

On this team, I would take a healthy Green for 16 games.

A healthy AJ is a true #1 WR.  Boyd is a good possession #2, but not a #1.  Ross has the talent to be a #1, but he's currently best suited to a #3 role unless he makes big leaps.  Higgins is an unknown.  Tate isn't a guy you want seeing a bunch of snaps because he brings the defense up.  Erickson is better as a return man.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that Dalton, while a good QB, had poor ball placement on many throws. I think Burrow had elite ball placement at the collegiate level which would favor Ross over Green, who has a broader catching radius. With that said, the team wins with Green on the field, not so much with Ross at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Because he's clearly the better player when healthy.

That's like asking who would you rather have as your QB this season: Aaron Rodgers or Blake Bortles.

I can find small stretches of games to project Bortles to appear to much greater than he is too. 

The fact is John Ross did the bulk of his damage in only 2 games.  Over 50% of his yards, and ALL of his TD's came in weeks 1 and 2.  Then for the rest of the season he didn't do all that much.

The guy played in 13 games in '18 and produced a whopping 210 yards.

This isn't even a contest.  Until John Ross can actually prove he's elite you can't out him against a guy like AJ Green.  It's not even close.

Even Week 2 he had only 3/46/0 through the first 59 minutes of the game. 

The final stat line only looks good because the 49ers put in all their backups while up by 31 points and Ross got a long ultra-garbage-time TD against bench players with less than a minute to go.

He was great Week 1, but that's literally the only game he's been great (or even very good) in 3 years.

The other 6 games of 2019 he averaged 3/39/0 per game... which is almost dead on what he had in Week 2 against actual starting players.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT: To answer the OP....

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Green because he is better end of story. I like Ross but at the end he is a third WR who might be a 4th behind Higgens.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Green, there is really no need to discuss it.

Green has shown what he can do in the league, and he does it on a consistent basis when healthy, he is an Pro-Bowler that teams must account for at all times.

Ross while he has the potential to be explosive, we've never seen 16 games or if he can maintain a steady production across all 16.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Would you rather have a wagyu steak or some ground beef?

Cmon man! AJ green all day. I guess that guy in the other thread was right, there is a Ross fanboy out there lol
Reply/Quote
Without a doubt it's AJ and not even close enough for me to list the reasons. The gap is just SO wide.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nate was responding to something in another thread with (paraphrasing) a statement that he feels having Green on the field is more important to the rest of the team than Ross.

It seemed pretty logical to me.  Green is more reliable, and has an unbelievable catch radius.  However, upon closer examination, I would rather have Ross.  

Here's why:

Ross gets separation faster than any receiver on the team.  DBs will give him a bigger cushion.  Safeties will drop, helping the rushing attack as well as opening up the middle of the field.  He has that home run ability and I think we finally have the QB to not underthrow him and can hit him deep on extended plays.  

AJ is a great player, and if he is healthy for all 16 games, he is a Mr. Reliable and a sure-handed target.  But remember, they have already started moving Green to the slot at times, to help him shake some of the coverage.  We have Boyd for that.  

Thoughts?

I rather have in this order at WR:  AJ, Boyd, Higgins, then it does not matter.. Ross has proven only that is too inconsistent to rely on... hope he improves and helps the team.. if not "Cut the Bust"  :)
Reply/Quote

It seemed pretty logical to me. Green is more reliable, and has an unbelievable catch radius. However, upon closer examination, I would rather have Ross.

Here's why:

Ross gets separation faster than any receiver on the team. DBs will give him a bigger cushion. Safeties will drop, helping the rushing attack as well as opening up the middle of the field. He has that home run ability and I think we finally have the QB to not underthrow him and can hit him deep on extended plays.

AJ is a great player, and if he is healthy for all 16 games, he is a Mr. Reliable and a sure-handed target. But remember, they have already started moving Green to the slot at times, to help him shake some of the coverage. We have Boyd for that.

Thoughts?

Is this real life?

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 07:53 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Is this real life?

I would say a "delusional" life...

"Cut the Bust" 
Reply/Quote
Well the good news is, we really don't have to choose. We should have Green and Ross on the field........and Boyd,Tate, and Higgins too!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 06:59 PM)J24 Wrote: Green because he is better end of story.

And who has a better story than AJ The Broken?

...I'll try to give a ridiculous amount of rep points to whoever can photoshop AJ onto Bran's Chair here...

[Image: bran-1558320624.jpeg?crop=0.668xw:1.00xh...size=480:*]
Reply/Quote
AJ, because he goes up and makes those contested catches in double, sometimes triple coverage. All Ross has on his side is speed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the true answer is having both out there.
Ross and AJ both have deep ability. AJ is more sure-handed than Ross but Ross is faster and more agile.
Both on the field should really open up underneath routes for Mixon, Uzomah, and Higgins/Tate.

Bingo, even though that wasn't one of the options presented. Honestly, I can see stretches of this season where Boyd might be the only consistently available receiver on the field.
Reply/Quote
Burrow will make any WR look like the new kid on the block ready to take over the NFL, however, i predict it will be neither Ross nor Green. It will be one of our rookies or lower tier players. Young players tend to gel better with players closer to their generation. Ross & Green may have a good game or two, but Boyd, Tate or Higgins or someone else will be moving the chains and making the offense deadly when we need to get that 3rd down to get into the red zone or get that field goal. Ross while young too, has failed to live up to his draft expectations. I hope the coaches dont get Joe addicted to AJ like Andy to Green were. I hope they make him more into a Brady....... ready and willing to throw to anyone open.
Reply/Quote