Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who would you rather have for all 16 games?
(08-19-2020, 09:32 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow will make any WR look like the new kid on the block ready to take over the NFL

Did we draft Joe Burrow or Clark Kent?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 08:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: And who has a better story than AJ The Broken?

...I'll try to give a ridiculous amount of rep points to whoever can photoshop AJ onto Bran's Chair here...

[Image: bran-1558320624.jpeg?crop=0.668xw:1.00xh...size=480:*]

The 2019 2-14 Bengals were better than that final season...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:32 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burrow will make any WR look like the new kid on the block ready to take over the NFL, however, i predict it will be neither Ross nor Green. It will be one of our rookies or lower tier players. Young players tend to gel better with players closer to their generation. Ross & Green may have a good game or two, but Boyd, Tate or Higgins or someone else will be moving the chains and making the offense deadly when we need to get that 3rd down to get into the red zone or get that field goal. Ross while young too, has failed to live up to his draft expectations. I hope the coaches dont get Joe addicted to AJ like Andy to Green were. I hope they make him more into a Brady....... ready and willing to throw to anyone open.

Is that kinda how Scottie Pippen's crazy ass kept on insisting on feeding the ball to Jordan?

If... And I mean if... Those guys are moving the chains, it's because AJ Green is on the field. Tyler Boyd is a nice player. He's really good with Green on the field. He's just a guy who gets targeted a lot without him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
AJ would be my choice all day every day.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: John Ross, in 24 games played, has a total of 716 yards.

AJ Green, in only 9 games played in 2018, had 694 yards.

Let that sink in...

What about the most recent 8 games for each and what about trends?  TDs?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Too bad Ross could not catch as many passes as Green because Green scored more tds.

Green also had more yards per target in 2017 (9.6) than Ross did last year (9.0).

Ross accounted for less than 15% of the catches in the games he played last year.  In 2017 Green had almost one of every four catches for the Bengals (24.7%)

In 2017, I was 48 years old.  Now I am 51.  That was 3 years ago.  You keep avoiding the most recent data.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Career totals for percentage of targets caught:

AJ Green - 59%

John Ross - 42%

Drop %:

AJ Green - 6.5%

John Ross - 14.3%

Ok!  This is good.  Now, I hate to ask, but can you break it down by year to see if Ross has indeed improved?  And has Green regressed?  I honestly don't know....but the eyeball test says it might.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Career YPR averages:

AJ Green - 14.8

John Ross - 14.6

Again, if you ignore the trends you are not looking at the most relevant data for today.  For 2020, who produces more if they play all 16 games.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think the true answer is having both out there.
Ross and AJ both have deep ability. AJ is more sure-handed than Ross but Ross is faster and more agile.
Both on the field should really open up underneath routes for Mixon, Uzomah, and Higgins/Tate.

No argument there.  If they are both out there for 16 games, I honestly believe the Bengals make the playoffs.  Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Sample, Uzo, Mixon, and Gio all benefit tremendously...not to mention Joe Burrow.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 06:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Ross in 13 games in the season before: 210 yards. And the year before that: 0 yards.

Ok, if you are going to go that (less relevant direction) way, I will say Ross had 500 yards last year and Green had 0.  

The question was:  If both were healthy all 16 games, who produces more?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No argument there.  If they are both out there for 16 games, I honestly believe the Bengals make the playoffs.  Boyd, Higgins, Tate, Sample, Uzo, Mixon, and Gio all benefit tremendously...not to mention Joe Burrow.  

I think they could if A) they get better OL play, and/or B) they have designed scrambles to get Burrow throwing out of pocket
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is like asking if you'd rather have a brand new Corvette or a Ford Focus.

I wish this was made into a poll question just so we could see the overwhelming disparity in the answers.

Hang on, this is no ordinary Focus.

Seats removed to lighten the load for increased speed and acceleration, performance brake package, alloy wheels, and a tank full of premium gas!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Again, if you ignore the trends you are not looking at the most relevant data for today.  For 2020, who produces more if they play all 16 games.  

Probably going to be the teams #1 receiver, which is AJ Green EVERY time he steps on the field.  When Green is not on the field, it is Tyler Boyd, not John Ross.
Reply/Quote

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ok, if you are going to go that (less relevant direction) way, I will say Ross had 500 yards last year and Green had 0.  

The question was:  If both were healthy all 16 games, who produces more?

Maybe I'm being too hard on Ross, but I can't help but imagine if we had to lean on him the way we have had to lean on AJ he would put up some monster turnover and drop numbers.  I can't even compare the two because AJ has been a rock-solid WR #1 from his rookie year on (well, until he broke) and Ross has been a shiny toy that spends almost all of its time on the sidelines or in the shop for his entire career.

Add in the notion that people expect Burrow to go completely ape-shit every time a player messes up and Ross is likely to be in the doghouse of the most popular person in Cicny right out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Nate was responding to something in another thread with (paraphrasing) a statement that he feels having Green on the field is more important to the rest of the team than Ross.

It seemed pretty logical to me.  Green is more reliable, and has an unbelievable catch radius.  However, upon closer examination, I would rather have Ross.  

Here's why:

Ross gets separation faster than any receiver on the team.  DBs will give him a bigger cushion.  Safeties will drop, helping the rushing attack as well as opening up the middle of the field.  He has that home run ability and I think we finally have the QB to not underthrow him and can hit him deep on extended plays.  

AJ is a great player, and if he is healthy for all 16 games, he is a Mr. Reliable and a sure-handed target.  But remember, they have already started moving Green to the slot at times, to help him shake some of the coverage.  We have Boyd for that.  

If I could only have one of the two for 16 games, I would take Ross.

Thoughts?

You know where I stand brother lol
Reply/Quote
Has Ross even consistently produced over a 16 game span? Even though, AJ hasn't in over 2 years, the fact remains that he HAS, and he has done so at a high level.

My vote is with Green.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 05:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is like asking if you'd rather have a brand new Corvette or a Ford Focus.

I wish this was made into a poll question just so we could see the overwhelming disparity in the answers.

Ok, plot twist. Which do you buy in the following scenario.....

- BOTH cars have a sketchy car fax
- The Focus (ST trim) is a 2017
- The Corvette is a 2011
- The Focus is 75% the cost of the Corvette

Dennis Hopper asking "What do you do...." (Speed reference)

My answer...

Buy the 2017 Focus and lease a 2017 Ford Raptor (Mixon)... Keeping the payments the same as buying the Vette.
Reply/Quote
Obviously this,offense is such more dynamic when both are on the field . And both have missed have alot of games which
Is relative to the offenses porous exhibition of football the
Last couple years.
A question I ask is what was the reasoning behind drafting
John Ross ? If I recall the reasoning was AJ was facing more
Double teams and the offense needed another WR
That could balance the defense and prevent teams from
Doubling Green.
But did the front office ever envision Ross really becoming
The #1? AJ Green is a future HOF WR ?
I'm a Ross fan but drafting him #9 overall doesn't make
Sense if he was never going to over take AJ as number 1.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:52 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Obviously this,offense is such more dynamic when both are on the field . And both have missed have alot of games which
Is relative to the offenses porous exhibition of football the
Last couple years.
A question I ask is what was the reasoning behind drafting
John Ross ? If I recall the reasoning was AJ was facing more
Double teams and the offense needed another WR
That could balance the defense and prevent teams from
Doubling Green.
But did the front office ever envision Ross really becoming
The #1? AJ Green is a future HOF WR ?
I'm a Ross fan but drafting him #9 overall doesn't make
Sense if he was never going to over take AJ as number 1.

I assume MB just turned into Al Davis for a moment and drafted our version of Darius Heyward Bey.
Reply/Quote