Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Whoopi Goldberg Says The Holocaust Was "Not About Race"
(02-04-2022, 12:04 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: There is actually no race in humans beings, we are not dogs.

What?  Mellow

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: There was a perfect oppurtunity for the entire board to come together and agree that Whoopi is a piece of shit...

would have been a slam dunk thread...

Anyways, glad to see her off the air. Given its recent news coverage, I recommend that anyone who hasn't read Maus go read it. Our family copy sits on a bookshelf in our living room. It's an amazing and powerful piece of literature.

Speaking of Maus I hear one group of people say it was outright banned at a school while other people say it was merely taken off of the official study plan for the holocaust while it is still available and okay to read in the school libraries. Which to me doesn’t mean banned. Assuming the 2nd group is reporting correctly that is.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:07 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Speaking of Maus I hear one group of people say it was outright banned at a school while other people say it was merely taken off of the official study plan for the holocaust while it is still available and okay to read in the school libraries. Which to me doesn’t mean banned. Assuming the 2nd group is reporting correctly that is.

Agreed.  My mother gave me the book when I was younger, a definitely impactful read.  Banning it for the "nudity" is just as insane, and inane, as banning Huckleberry Finn for the use of the "N word."
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 05:51 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, and to further comment, it wasn't even limited to Nazi Germany, too. On my wife's grandfather's immigration records (came to the US in the  early 30's from Lithuania with a stop in Britain), one of the logs lists his family as "Jewish" for their race.

Even today, many white supremacists groups don't consider Jewish people as part of the "white race", because as you explained, the concept of race isn't actually rooted in any science and has always been a social construct. 

Yes. White supremacy is a world wide phenomenon, with roots deep in the European slave trade and in European colonialism. 

After WWI, racially marked passports were required throughout Europe. 

And in many of the countries they conquered, the NAZIS could count on locals to help them round up and kill their "real" enemies, the Jews. E.g., France, Roumania, Bulgaria, Lithuania (but, interestingly, not Denmark). Hitler didn't cause that.

Thank heaven the US was able to destroy the racist-fascist war machine--with its segregated army. 

But now 75 years after that victory, populist and anti-globalist authoritarianism is again on the rise, here and abroad.

A side point for those thinking "Dill is always attacking the white race, but 'both sides' do it." The Japanese adapted European "race science" to their circumstances--an ideology which still survives in North Korea, though somewhat attenuated and tweaked to fit Koreans into the top of the hierarchy.  So "They" do it too! E.g., The heavier brow ridges of Caucasians indicate their closeness to our primate ancestors, a rung below the pure Japanese on the evolutionary ladder.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 10:07 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Speaking of Maus I hear one group of people say it was outright banned at a school while other people say it was merely taken off of the official study plan for the holocaust while it is still available and okay to read in the school libraries. Which to me doesn’t mean banned. Assuming the 2nd group is reporting correctly that is.

Banned from the curriculum.--That means students don't uniformly and officially study it. 

If they leave a copy in the library, sure, no one can accuse them of "banning" it outright, and the school board can ground the censorship in questions of age appropriateness.  And they can be sure few students will then encounter the book. 

That way, the Board can have its cake and eat it too.

Or so they thought -->  https://abcnews.go.com/US/students-protest-book-bans-distributing-maus-beloved/story?id=82622456
Reply/Quote