Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
(05-05-2022, 02:20 PM)Yogo Wrote: But Travis was taken already.  Travis was more a NT not a 3T.  I think Lou really was looking for more of an inside pass rushing 3T, so Zach was the pick.

Yep.  Zach and Lou have both said in post draft interviews that it was Carters inside pass rush abilities that appealed to them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 12:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I could see ADG being our breakout Defensive player this season...

Looking for both ADG and Ossai to both start to make a name for themselves.

The new buzz words on defense are "multiple" and "versatile".  That is ADG.  Size (6'2", 215) and speed (4.6) of a big safety, but playing LB.

His rookie year he was used a lot as a blitzer (once every 10.1 snaps) and not much in coverage situations (targeted once every 17.4 snaps), but last year he did not blitz near as much (once every 20.7) and was in coverage a lot more (targeted once every 10.3 snaps).
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The new buzz words on defense are "multiple" and "versatile".  That is ADG.  Size (6'2", 215) and speed (4.6) of a big safety, but playing LB.

His rookie year he was used a lot as a blitzer (once every 10.1 snaps) and not much in coverage situations (targeted once every 17.4 snaps), but last year he did not blitz near as much (once every 20.7) and was in coverage a lot more (targeted once every 10.3 snaps).

All true, thanks for the numbers Fred. I like ADG's length and you could see a notable jump from his rookie season this last year
and it seemed like the NFL game was finally slowing down for him. As a rookie he was one step behind and didn't look comfortable
at all out there. Last year was quite different, too bad he got injured right when everything was starting to come to him.

Made quite a few pass breakups last season and nearly had a couple interceptions. Expecting an even bigger jump this year playing
next to Logan Wilson who is one of the best young LB's in the league right now IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Saw Bucky Brooks talking about our draft and he made a great point.

Bengals had a lot of success dropping 7 or even 8 in zone coverage and just rushing 3 or 4, but Brooks said the Bengals don't want to be forced to play that way. And if they want to blitz more and play more "pressure" defense that usually means playing more man-to-man coverage. So the Bengals had to bring in more cover guys. That way they can mix it up.

I know a lot of fans don't want to admit it, but the Chiefs second half meltdown in the playoffs had a lot more to do with Mahommes playing poorly than our amazing defensive scheme. I saw Kurt Warner break down the film and there were open receivers and running lanes that Mahommes just ignored or failed to see. Our defense played great that second half. I don't want to take away all the credit they deserve, but I guarantee we won't be able to shut down Mahommes with that simple of a scheme next time.

What are you talking about? We shut KC and Mahomes down in the 2nd half of BOTH games. In the first one, they scored 28 in the first half and 3 in the second half. I can't find Mahome's 2nd half stats for that one, but I'm sure they weren't good.

We were a 2nd half team all year long. Turns out halftime adjustments aren't journalistic jargon after all. Mahomes missed throws because he wasn't comfortable with what we threw at him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'll play! I would actually grade this draft a solid A, I like some guys we got others are question marks, but what drafts aren't. So with that:

1) Daxton Hill- I for one loved this pick. I think he adds so much versatility in our secondary and improves the overall depth. I think he will make some noise for us.

2) CTB- I'm good with this pick as we picked for need and he was clearly the BPA also he can be used as a nickle/dime guy and will push Apple, and again boosts the secondary and overall depth at a position of weakness.

3) Zach Carter- I'm on the fence with this one, as I would have went with Perrion Winfrey, but I like that they addressed the DT here as it was the right round to add depth on the IDL.

4) Cordell Volson- was iffy at first, but after seeing film and looking at him, I love the pick! guy looks like a mauler and actually could push for playing time very soon, plus he's versatile. good depth signing.

5) Tycen Anderson- I think was a steal for a 5th rounder, great speed, provides immediate ST help, and possible replacement for Bell next year.

6) Jeffrey Gunter- I actually like him as a tweener type guy on the EDGE, I think he's a better product than Wyatt Hubert who we drafted last year, so let camp separate them at worst he's better than Wyatt Ray.

-Overall I like our draft, hoping one of our UDFA TE's or WR's make the team just to improve those 52/53 man spots. I think our team is really loaded BTW!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 01:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What are you talking about? We shut KC and Mahomes down in the 2nd half of BOTH games.

I am talking about watching the film breakdown of the second half of the playoff game to see what actually happened.

Our scheme was not the reason Mahommes was shut down.  There were open receivers and running lanes he could have taken advantage of.  He just played terrible football that second half.  I guarantee it won't work as well if we try it again.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am talking about watching the film breakdown of the second half of the playoff game to see what actually happened.

Our scheme was not the reason Mahommes was shut down.  There were open receivers and running lanes he could have taken advantage of.  He just played terrible football that second half.  I guarantee it won't work as well if we try it again.

So he just suddenly forgot how to play football in the 2nd half. Got it.

You talk about receivers running open, but the Bengals were dropping 8 and still getting pressure on Mahomes. The scheme absolutely had something to do with it. Tyreek Hill sure as hell wasn’t open on that last play. On the drive before Mahomes had multiple tries to punch it in from the red zone and the Bengals defense were having none of it. He was clearly frustrated by the end of the game, which is why he tried to force it into double coverage.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am talking about watching the film breakdown of the second half of the playoff game to see what actually happened.

So after five 10+ win seasons in a row, multiple playoff wins, Super Bowl appearances and a win. Mahommes chose this game to curl up in a fetal position and get the yips all on his own ? The defense had nothing to do with it ?

OK Say What
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 02:40 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I'll play! I would actually grade this draft a solid A, I like some guys we got others are question marks, but what drafts aren't. So with that:

1) Daxton Hill- I for one loved this pick. I think he adds so much versatility in our secondary and improves the overall depth. I think he will make some noise for us.

2) CTB- I'm good with this pick as we picked for need and he was clearly the BPA also he can be used as a nickle/dime guy and will push Apple, and again boosts the secondary and overall depth at a position of weakness.

3) Zach Carter- I'm on the fence with this one, as I would have went with Perrion Winfrey, but I like that they addressed the DT here as it was the right round to add depth on the IDL.

4) Cordell Volson- was iffy at first, but after seeing film and looking at him, I love the pick! guy looks like a mauler and actually could push for playing time very soon, plus he's versatile. good depth signing.

5) Tycen Anderson- I think was a steal for a 5th rounder, great speed, provides immediate ST help, and possible replacement for Bell next year.

6) Jeffrey Gunter- I actually like him as a tweener type guy on the EDGE, I think he's a better product than Wyatt Hubert who we drafted last year, so let camp separate them at worst he's better than Wyatt Ray.

-Overall I like our draft, hoping one of our UDFA TE's or WR's make the team just to improve those 52/53 man spots. I think our team is really loaded BTW!!!

Agree with this assessment

Your user name SCHROOMYTUNES should be what they call Billy Strings concerts 

P.S. Mahommes is JoeyB's biotch and my KC friends still don't want to talk about those two games this season lol. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Different people can see different things looking at the same film. I don't believe in coincidences. Especially when there's plenty of evidence that it wasn't a coincidence. We stone walled them in the 2nd half of 2 straight games.

Your choices here are:

(a) The Bengals, being a 2nd half team all year, made good adjustments yet again, which shut the Chiefs down in both 2nd halves.

Or...

(b) Despite being a 2nd half team all year, our adjustments had little to no affect on Mahomes, and he inexplicably developed the yips in 2 of his biggest games, despite him shredding the Bills just a week prior. But only in the 2nd half did he have the yips. He crushed it in the first half of both games, then just came out ice cold for some inexplicable reason.

One makes all the sense in the world, while the other defies all logic and common sense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 07:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One makes all the sense in the world, while the other defies all logic and common sense.

Yep 
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 07:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Different people can see different things looking at the same film. I don't believe in coincidences. Especially when there's plenty of evidence that it wasn't a coincidence. We stone walled them in the 2nd half of 2 straight games.

Your choices here are:

(a) The Bengals, being a 2nd half team all year, made good adjustments yet again, which shut the Chiefs down in both 2nd halves.

Or...

(b) Despite being a 2nd half team all year, our adjustments had little to no affect on Mahomes, and he inexplicably developed the yips in 2 of his biggest games, despite him shredding the Bills just a week prior. But only in the 2nd half did he have the yips. He crushed it in the first half of both games, then just came out ice cold for some inexplicable reason.

One makes all the sense in the world, while the other defies all logic and common sense.

FredToast lives on an island.
Reply/Quote

How’s that island your thoughts hang out?
Reply/Quote

When I was watching the game something just felt off to me like Mahommes was throwing the game or at least letting the Bengals back into the game. But afterwards reading about the adjustments and seeing the breakdowns. I think everybody is right on this one.

1: The Bengals not only made a good adjustment but the players really played it well. 

2: Mahommes since the superbowl against the Bucs and the 1st half or so of this past season. Has shown that he can struggle if he sees something that confuses him as far as how his offense is supposed to attack it. 

So I really think just about everyone on defense played well with the adjustment. But I also think Mahommes didn't have a good 2nd half and I'm sure missed some opportunities. But the defense flustered him.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I'm certainly not perfect but maybe the draft has to prove it to me this time before I can call it. Great
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 08:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: How’s that island your thoughts hang out?

My Island is inhabited by the knowledge of a Super Bowl MVP.

Yours has nothing but moon-eyed Bengal fans.

So I am happy where I am at, but I guess for many here ignorance is bliss.

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 08:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My Island is inhabited by the knowledge of a Super Bowl MVP.

Yours has nothing but moon-eyed Bengal fans.

So I am happy where I am at, but I guess for many here ignorance is bliss.

Be careful here because Warner says some stuff that is simply false in this video and it feels like he came into the video trying to explain away the struggles. I know you're about to say "yea sure NFL QB vs guy on internet", so I'll give you an example or two. 

Time Stamp 18:15 or so he says this play befuddles him and that sometimes Mahomes locks in on a receiver pre play. He then shows the backside routes and says he could have taken those then shows the front side and calls the routes...except he is missing what the play is. The play is what's called a mid screen (some call it a tunnel screen), a screen play to a WR or TE downfield between the tackle box. Warner notes that the O line are downfield for some reason but doesn't connect that it is actually a screen pass when you can obviously see the O linemen release. You don't throw those backside routes on a screen, it's either to the main receiver or a dirt ball. In the end it was a great play by the defender to force the int.

Earlier in the video he is talking about an easy over route Mahomes usually throws that he inexplicably doesn't take. He highlights all the defenders and why Mahomes should throw it...except Bates faking a robber. You can see Bates set up eyes on Mahomes faking a robber and holding Mahomes from throwing it, it's the exact same thing he did to Tannehill for the INT the first play against TEN. Bates bails on the robber once Mahomes eyes come off the deep over. Warner never even acknowledges the robber which is the counter to the deep over.

I agree, Mahomes was rattled second half but I also think it was partially due to the scheme adjustments the Bengals made. The late rotations, the Cover 1 robber, the dropping out of d lineman all made him have to think an extra beat.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 08:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: FredToast lives on an island.

Fred likes to wear the Boy Genius costume 24/7. He's had a few doosies but one simply is an absolute moron or simply doesn't understand football other than what they narrowly watch on TV to not give the Bengals DC and players total credit for their efforts,play and scheme in both 2nd half games against KC.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2022, 02:40 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I'll play! I would actually grade this draft a solid A, I like some guys we got others are question marks, but what drafts aren't. So with that:

Nice breakdown Schroomtunes. Pretty much my exact thoughts. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2022, 10:49 AM)Au165 Wrote: Be careful here because Warner says some stuff that is simply false in this video and it feels like he came into the video trying to explain away the struggles. I know you're about to say "yea sure NFL QB vs guy on internet", so I'll give you an example or two. 

Time Stamp 18:15 or so he says this play befuddles him and that sometimes Mahomes locks in on a receiver pre play. He then shows the backside routes and says he could have taken those then shows the front side and calls the routes...except he is missing what the play is. The play is what's called a mid screen, a screen play to a WR or TE downfield between the tackle box. Warner notes that the O line are downfield for some reason but doesn't connect that it is actually a screen pass when you can obviously see the O linemen release. You don't throw those backside routes on a screen, it's either to the main receiver or a dirt ball. In the end it was a great play by the defender to force the int.

Earlier in the video he is talking about an easy over route Mahomes usually throws that he inexplicably doesn't take. He highlights all the defenders and why Mahomes should throw it...except Bates faking a robber. You can see Bates set up eyes on Mahomes faking a robber and holding Mahomes from throwing it, it's the exact same thing he did to Tannehill for the INT the first play against TEN. Bates bails on the robber once Mahomes eyes come off the deep over. Warner never even acknowledges the robber which is the counter to the deep over.

I agree, Mahomes was rattled second half but I also think it was partially due to the scheme adjustments the Bengals made. The late rotations, the Cover 1 robber, the dropping out of d lineman all made him have to think an extra beat.

This makes sense and you know football better than about anybody on here. Sure, Mahomes struggled against our Defense.

But that wasn't just him struggling, our Defense deserves a lot of credit.
Reply/Quote