Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Has the Bengals Offense Collapsed?
(09-23-2022, 07:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remember when folks said "BS" When some of the more even-keeled asserted:

"We could get to the Superbowl and folks would still complain"

Wow good job Nostradamus.  Give us another quatrain!

People bitching about anything.  Especially on the internet.  How could it be?!?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 02:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: In other words, those of us who have said for a long time that the Bengals telegraph the play by the formation are right. We do need to do more RPOs from shotgun and more passes from under center.

Rpos don't work with a QB yhat is ineffective in rpos, Burrow is not good in them, show me in college or nfl he has been
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 03:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's checking into runs with stacked boxes because he's scared to death of being sacked with the extra pressure/bodies on the line. 

If that is true he has even up as a elite  QB
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 07:36 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Wow good job Nostradamus.  Give us another quatrain!

People bitching about anything.  Especially on the internet.  How could it be?!?

Not enough love as a child. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 08:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Rpos don't work with a QB yhat is ineffective in rpos, Burrow is not good in them, show me in college or nfl he has been

Still and all there are run options out of shotgun. Teams are watching how the Bengals lineup and cheating to the run if they see Burrow under center and to the pass if they see shotgun. Part of fixing it is breaking that tendency by not being so incredibly predictable and (like the article said correctly) not having pass and run game formations and packages that seem like they are from different offenses. 
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 09:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Teams are watching how the Bengals lineup and cheating to the run if they see Burrow under center and to the pass if they see shotgun. Part of fixing it is breaking that tendency by not being so incredibly predictable and (like the article said correctly)

This just is not true.  Bengals are not "incredibly predictable".  We run from under center about 80% of the time, which is less often than several other teams, and the league average is about 70%.
Reply/Quote
Over 70% of every play so far has been out of the shotgun.. The Oline hasn't had the ability to clear holes for run plays since their first step is backwards to protect Burrow and defenses know that so they're taking advantage. Need to get Burrow under center more, run power runs and at least make defenses bring those safeties in more to open passing plays..  They have two big, strong running backs and both have the ability to break big plays and both can catch.. They need to be used more.. End story.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 11:43 AM)grampahol Wrote: Over 70% of every play so far has been out of the shotgun.. The Oline hasn't had the ability to clear holes for run plays since their first step is backwards to protect Burrow and defenses know that so they're taking advantage. Need to get Burrow under center more, run power runs and at least make defenses bring those safeties in more to open passing plays..  They have two big, strong running backs and both have the ability to break big plays and both can catch.. They need to be used more.. End story.. 

Except that Joe hates under center. He loves the shotgun and 00 personnel. But we don’t have the pieces to run that. If we could have a run game that produces 12-20 yard runs 4 or 5 times a game everything would fall into place. We need Hayden Hurst to get the ball more but Joe’s not finding him. Joe has to accept what defenses are giving and go with it instead of fighting it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not enough love as a child. 

[Image: th?id=OIP.clDqA2wws7q-vjH2xc20bwHaFk&pid...id=Api&P=0]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 08:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Rpos don't work with a QB yhat is ineffective in rpos, Burrow is not good in them, show me in college or nfl he has been

RPO's were a major part of the 2019 LSU offense. Roughly 22% of the pass plays they ran were RPOs.

Here is a video breaking down RPO's vs. Oklahoma.

Here is another RPO breakdown, various examples through the season.

Burrow was fantastic with RPOs in college and has ran them in the NFL with success. Cincinnati just doesn't run them all that often, nor do they run play-action much. They need to do both more. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Except that Joe hates under center. He loves the shotgun and 00 personnel. But we don’t have the pieces to run that. If we could have a run game that produces 12-20 yard runs 4 or 5 times a game everything would fall into place. We need Hayden Hurst to get the ball more but Joe’s not finding him. Joe has to accept what defenses are giving and go with it instead of fighting it.

That's a lot of it.

Honestly, the disjointed offense might be the coaches trying to cater to Joe too much.
Reply/Quote
So, basically, defenses see us come out with Burrow under center and they switch to single high because they know Burrow isn't comfortable dropping back from under center (for whatever reason) and when we come out in shotgun with the WRs spread out they go to cover 2 because they know we won't run the ball out of that configuration.

The good news is that's insanely easy to fix. Just run out of shotgun and pass out of under center.

The bad news is I fear Zac, and to an extent Burrow, are not willing to leave their comfort zone of spread passing and under center/ condensed running.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2022, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Except that Joe hates under center. He loves the shotgun and 00 personnel. 

I mean this with all due respect to Joe as this franchise's best chance of success in the last 30 years, but he's gotta get over this hatred of being under center. He's an NFL starting QB. Learn how to do it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So, basically, defenses see us come out with Burrow under center and they switch to single high because they know Burrow isn't comfortable dropping back from under center (for whatever reason) and when we come out in shotgun with the WRs spread out they go to cover 2 because they know we won't run the ball out of that configuration.

The good news is that's insanely easy to fix. Just run out of shotgun and pass out of under center.

The bad news is I fear Zac, and to an extent Burrow, are not willing to leave their comfort zone of spread passing and under center/ condensed running.

Your thoughts make sense and sure as hell look like what we are seeing on the field. Last 3 games and 3 losses it's obvious defenses have figured us out by formation. I would think that Zac, Joe and Brian and anybody else in on offense should see changes are needed like NOW. I hope they don't think a bigger hammer is the fix for the round peg square hole thing.
Reply/Quote
Offense needs to implement what the 90s Bills took from our Hurry-Up offense and modified it: The K-Gun.

It would place Burrow in a shotgun with Mixon just to his left and we would still have 3 WR and a TE. Burrow could see if the box was stacked, he could look for favorable matchups/routes for the pass, and if the defense does Cover-2, he can do a delay handoff to Mixon. Same formation, doesn't give anything away. And offense gets to dictate the tempo.

Hmmmm.... Something tells me the Jets are going to go hurry-up on us first.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 12:04 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote:  Last 3 games and 3 losses it's obvious defenses have figured us out by formation.

No it isn't.

We ran up and down the field on the steelers.  436 yards and 31 first downs. That is a dominating performance without the turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:37 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So, basically, defenses see us come out with Burrow under center and they switch to single high because they know Burrow isn't comfortable dropping back from under center (for whatever reason) and when we come out in shotgun with the WRs spread out they go to cover 2 because they know we won't run the ball out of that configuration.

Looks like the Bengals made the necessary adjustments by running and passing about evenly (through 3 quarters since the 4th quarter they obviously burned clock with Perine) with Burrow under center. This is excellent news. They see the problem and are making the adjustments.
Reply/Quote
Mentioned this in another thread but would love to see Boyd getting 5-6 targets a game. I think he's the key to opening up the offense
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:10 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote:  

Looks like the Bengals made the necessary adjustments by running and passing about evenly (through 3 quarters since the 4th quarter they obviously burned clock with Perine) with Burrow under center. This is excellent news. They see the problem and are making the adjustments.

I was happy with the adjustments they've made to play calling but the offense still only scored 20 points which is poor. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:17 PM)TheFan Wrote: I was happy with the adjustments they've made to play calling but the offense still only scored 20 points which is poor. 

Are you choosing to not count the Chase touchdown because it was coming off of a turnover? Because they still punched that one in, even if it was a relatively short field.

Plus, we missed a reasonable kick (41 yarder) and bypassed another reasonable kick to do a silly little trick play thing on 4th and 1.

Not to mention they had a drive taken from them because of a non-fumble being called a fumble.

I think being in position to score on 7 of their 11 drives is good production.

They did lull in the 2nd quarter (1 drive that moved nowhere but started in FG range, 2 punts), but they also had an 11 point lead and may have been calling it conservatively for that reason.
Reply/Quote