Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Has the Bengals Offense Collapsed?
(09-25-2022, 11:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Are you choosing to not count the Chase touchdown because it was coming off of a turnover? Because they still punched that one in, even if it was a relatively short field.

For some reason I thought we scored a defensive touchdown off a fumble recovery. I think I blurred the Bengals game and the UC game together. You are correct, 27 (could have been 30) is a lot better than 20. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:34 PM)TheFan Wrote: For some reason I thought we scored a defensive touchdown off a fumble recovery. I think I blurred the Bengals game and the UC game together. You are correct, 27 (could have been 30) is a lot better than 20. 

Haha, I blur them together sometimes too. Yea, I am pretty happy about 27 or 30 in the game. The Jets aren't an elite defense by any means, but I am just glad we had the chance to see the offense move the ball a little bit with a game plan that seemed to have been designed coherently. I hope we keep it moving on Thursday!
Reply/Quote
It was nice to see them score and to see them start being less predictable. It was also nice to see them realize something was wrong with Mixon and switch AND to see them change up the run play design (which worked).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: It was nice to see them score and to see them start being less predictable. It was also nice to see them realize something was wrong with Mixon and switch AND to see them change up the run play design (which worked).

Zac Taylor is still an awful coach. Need an overhaul. Worst thing and the best thing to happen to the Bengals was making it to the SB last year. I think that was done in spite of, and not because of Taylor.

Get a real coach and Bengals are unstoppable. So much talent. I’m a little disappointed in Collins although it’s hard to say that after the Jets game. Maybe they need more time to gel, I don’t know how much time or how much they will.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:04 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Zac Taylor is still an awful coach. Need an overhaul. Worst thing and the best thing to happen to the Bengals was making it to the SB last year. I think that was done in spite of, and not because of Taylor.

Get a real coach and Bengals are unstoppable. So much talent. I’m a little disappointed in Collins although it’s hard to say that after the Jets game. Maybe they need more time to gel, I don’t know how much time or how much they will.

Just gotta be careful not to hire a Nathaniel Hackett.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:04 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Zac Taylor is still an awful coach. Need an overhaul. Worst thing and the best thing to happen to the Bengals was making it to the SB last year. I think that was done in spite of, and not because of Taylor.

If only we had hired Zac years ago so we could get to the Super Bowl in spite of him 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:36 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Haha, I blur them together sometimes too. Yea, I am pretty happy about 27 or 30 in the game. The Jets aren't an elite defense by any means, but I am just glad we had the chance to see the offense move the ball a little bit with a game plan that seemed to have been designed coherently. I hope we keep it moving on Thursday!

27-30 points will win us most games with this defence. If only we'd scored that in the Super Bowl  Cry

Offensively we were far better today. Key for me was the quick start. Better you start the game, the less you're boxed in with trying to chase the game. 

NFL.com stating that it's the first game Burrow threw for multiple TDs while 'under pressure'. Pretty interesting considering how 'under pressure' he's generally been in his career here so far.
Reply/Quote

If our players are so great we can win multiple playoff games and make the super bowl "in spite of" the head coach, why did we lose the first 2 games this season against pretty bad competition? Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 06:09 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: 27-30 points will win us most games with this defence. If only we'd scored that in the Super Bowl  Cry

Offensively we were far better today. Key for me was the quick start. Better you start the game, the less you're boxed in with trying to chase the game. 

NFL.com stating that it's the first game Burrow threw for multiple TDs while 'under pressure'. Pretty interesting considering how 'under pressure' he's generally been in his career here so far.

Yea, I feel really good about this defense so far. Granted, it has been against 3 bad offenses, but the CBs just seem to stick to the WRs very well, even with the QB not hitting his targets. And our run defense is incredible, assuming Reader recovers and gets back into the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2022, 07:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Right there with ya.

It's not the only problem but it's the MAIN problem.

I just tired of hearing people focusing on the outlier issues as if it is the fix.

Get the line playing right and take it from there.

Its not just about "poor Joe" and him getting sacked.  This run game is atrocious!

Agree, but it looked a lot better when we had a back just get behind his pads and hit the hole with all he had.....and the defense KNEW we were running. Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree, but it looked a lot better when we had a back just get behind his pads and hit the hole with all he had.....and the defense KNEW we were running. Hmm

I give credit where credit is due.

They pulled it together this game.

Let's hope it's an upward trend.

Mixon needs to quit dancing too.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Too funny. Not aligned with your LSU players? They loved Ogeron but are rock solid I’m told on Taylor as a coach.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree, but it looked a lot better when we had a back just get behind his pads and hit the hole with all he had.....and the defense KNEW we were running. Hmm

(09-26-2022, 11:10 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I give credit where credit is due.

They pulled it together this game.

Let's hope it's an upward trend.

Mixon needs to quit dancing too.

Somebody ? was it the Leonard leap said 3 or 4 years ago Mixon started trying to run like that Steelers RB what'shisname ? dancing and waiting behind the LOS. And he doesn't do well when he does that, and I agree.

Please coaches tell Mixon he's a downhill runner not a finesse dancing back. I believe this is a big part of his problem.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:15 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Mentioned this in another thread but would love to see Boyd getting 5-6 targets a game.  I think he's the key to opening up the offense

Yup, because he's getting open underneath. Looks like Joe studied up real good, and the staff adjusted accordingly. Nice, clock killing drives. 

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 11:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Are you choosing to not count the Chase touchdown because it was coming off of a turnover? Because they still punched that one in, even if it was a relatively short field.

Plus, we missed a reasonable kick (41 yarder) and bypassed another reasonable kick to do a silly little trick play thing on 4th and 1.

Not to mention they had a drive taken from them because of a non-fumble being called a fumble.

I think being in position to score on 7 of their 11 drives is good production.

They did lull in the 2nd quarter (1 drive that moved nowhere but started in FG range, 2 punts), but they also had an 11 point lead and may have been calling it conservatively for that reason.

.....and Tee scored.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:16 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Somebody ? was it the Leonard leap said 3 or 4 years ago Mixon started trying to run like that Steelers RB what'shisname ? dancing and waiting behind the LOS. And he doesn't do well when he does that, and I agree.

Please coaches tell Mixon he's a downhill runner not a finesse dancing back. I believe this is a big part of his problem.

Mixon styles himself after Leveon Bell and it doesn't work. Staying in the Stealer RB category Perine yesterday did it more like Bettis - he just accelerated and hit the hole no fanciness. Also noteworthy was the change in the run play design - we stopped trying to run McVay/Gurley style where the play is to gain and turn the corner and instead just hit the RT-RG gap behind Collins and Cappa. In other words we let our new right side of the OL do what they are comfortable doing and they made it happen. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 10:33 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, I feel really good about this defense so far. Granted, it has been against 3 bad offenses, but the CBs just seem to stick to the WRs very well, even with the QB not hitting his targets. And our run defense is incredible, assuming Reader recovers and gets back into the game.

It has, but you still have to make them look bad. We saw this same defence get torn apart by Mike White last year. I've been in other threads calling the Jets crap (they are), but you do still have to turn up and do your bit. This defence has for the most part the last 2 seasons. 

Yeah they gave up disappointing final drives against the Steelers and the Cowboys, but it is an offence-led league... you can't bottle them up the entire game. Points are the aim of the game, and when you give up 55 points in 3 games to start the season, you'd expect to be 3-0. Of course it's not that simplistic, but they're largely doing the job.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: Mixon styles himself after Leveon Bell and it doesn't work. Staying in the Stealer RB category Perine yesterday did it more like Bettis - he just accelerated and hit the hole no fanciness. Also noteworthy was the change in the run play design - we stopped trying to run McVay/Gurley style where the play is to gain and turn the corner and instead just hit the RT-RG gap behind Collins and Cappa. In other words we let our new right side of the OL do what they are comfortable doing and they made it happen. 

Bell yes that's him. And yes I agree run Mixon between the tackles and more right than left. You have to mix a few to the left in. 

Mixon is just a downhill runner he's not a finesse back. And yes I agree stop all the damn outside wide stuff. Sure just like running left you have to mix it in once or twice a game but not 4 or 5.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bell yes that's him. And yes I agree run Mixon between the tackles and more right than left. You have to mix a few to the left in. 

Mixon is just a downhill runner he's not a finesse back. And yes I agree stop all the damn outside wide stuff. Sure just like running left you have to mix it in once or twice a game but not 4 or 5.

Absolutely, but there are times when Joe tries to bounce an inside run to the outside too. Samaje ran at an avg of 5 yards on that last drive when everyone in Jersey knew we were running. That's just getting behind your pads and hitting the hole as hard as you can. We can blame play calling all we want, but the tell to me is Perine was able to do that when we couldn't possibly be anymore predictable, right? Difference is in the execution, not the playcall.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 11:23 AM)Joelist Wrote: Mixon styles himself after Leveon Bell and it doesn't work. Staying in the Stealer RB category Perine yesterday did it more like Bettis - he just accelerated and hit the hole no fanciness. Also noteworthy was the change in the run play design - we stopped trying to run McVay/Gurley style where the play is to gain and turn the corner and instead just hit the RT-RG gap behind Collins and Cappa. In other words we let our new right side of the OL do what they are comfortable doing and they made it happen. 

Was happy to see this as well per me being very critical of Perrine not getting behind his pads in the past. 

Hoping this trend continues and if it does I'm hoping to see him get increased carries soon. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote