Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am not happy about the Cordy Glenn trade
A TE at 21 would just highlight the mistake passing on OJ Howard.

There's no TE worthy of the 21st pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 06:03 PM)Steve Wrote: I was not against your post/rant until you said you wanted us to take a TE in rd #1.....
how about .....hell no.....!!!
you're 1 yr late w/ this idea....we should of picked a TE last yr w/ O.J. Howard.....not WR Ross...
this year we should pick an O-line player...I prefer Hernandez at 21.....
rd #2 an OC
rd 3 LB & FS

Your preference is noted.  However let us not pass up on a good / great TE just because we didn't get one last year.

I wouldn't have an issue with Hernandez at 21 if he is there (can never have too many OGs), yet I do think this is a deep class at OLine and that we can get those filled in rounds 2-3. 

LBer isn't as much of a need as many make it out to be, so I would go with one later.  FS has been missing for a while now and I did have hope with Derron Smith, but it seems he isn't stepping up so if a top guy is there then I would take him, if not then I would do the same as with LBer.

To me the draft for the 1st 3 picks should be Hurst (if available), OLine, OLine.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 09:11 PM)jj22 Wrote: A TE at 21 would just highlight the mistake passing on OJ Howard.

There's no TE worthy of the 21st pick.

You don't fix a mistake by not addressing it though.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 05:37 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: You can be angry in 20/20 hindsight and still be happy about the Glenn trade.  How was the trade, in and of itself, a bad thing?  What does that trade have to do with Kirkpatrick or DeCastro?

I can be angry if I were wanting us to take Glenn in 2012 with either DeCastro or Zeitler.  It isn't 20/20 hindsight if I was wanting this to happen before the draft.  Hell even after taking Dre, I wanted us to nab DeCastro, but we passed and traded the pick away.  The Steelers grab DeCastro and we take Zeitler.  

We wouldn't have the inconsistent play of Kirkpatrick and we would probably have Glenn on our roster still since he turned out to be a good LT.  He would have taken over for Whitworth and we wouldn't have Ogbuehi on the team.

You see, I wanted us to take Glenn then, instead we didn't and now have traded in order for us to get him here.  Him being here is a good thing, but we could/ should have had him in 2012.  It was a bad call by the FO for not even entertaining the idea of getting 2 OGs with those 2 1st round picks.  So the trade isn't a bad thing, it just highlights the ineptitude of our FO.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 06:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: MellowRolleyes

You're joking, right? 

Hmm

No, I am not joking.  Let me guess PFF has him rated as the 70th TE so he must be good?   Rolleyes

He hasn't done much of anything and that is with Eifert getting injured often.  So no, Uzomah shouldn't be on the team.

Care to elaborate on why you think he should remain?
Reply/Quote
Hurst has started pulling away from the rest of the te's in this draft, according to some scuttlebutt out there. There are also rumblings coming out that the bengals may look in a different direction than we expect. We'll see
Reply/Quote
 In the 18 drafts since 2000, Bengals have picked the premier positions 14 times (WR, DB, DE/LB, OT and QB).
There were two TEs (Gresham and Eifert) an OG (Zeitler) and a RB (Perry).
As much as I would like an OG and a C, with first and second pick, I just cannot trust that they will do it.
If there is a DB at 21....  
Reply/Quote
Hurst is at best the third best te in this class. Give me goedert and gesecki over Hurst any day of the week and twice on Sunday.that said I don't want us to draft a te high as I don't believe that he is a major need. Minor one. Not Major.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 11:19 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Hmm

No, I am not joking.  Let me guess PFF has him rated as the 70th TE so he must be good?   Rolleyes

He hasn't done much of anything and that is with Eifert getting injured often.  So no, Uzomah shouldn't be on the team.

Care to elaborate on why you think he should remain?

**** PFF, they're a friggin' joke and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

If he graded high, good for him.

The guy is a great route runner, has become a good blocker and, aside from week 2 in 2016 (where the refs screwed things up and EVERYONE had issues), he has superb hands as well.

He hasn't done anything? For his snap count, his stats are just as good as Kroft, in the past 2 years, save for TDs.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:43 AM)XsandOs Wrote:  In the 18 drafts since 2000, Bengals have picked the premier positions 14 times (WR, DB, DE/LB, OT and QB).
As much as I would like an OG and a C, with first and second pick, I just cannot trust that they will do it.

Important to note that none of the DBs selected were actually safeties. All were CBs. Bengals have never taken a safety, DT, or C in the first round of the Marvin Lewis tenure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:43 AM)XsandOs Wrote:  In the 18 drafts since 2000, Bengals have picked the premier positions 14 times (WR, DB, DE/LB, OT and QB).

They wouldn't take a DB at 21 when there are still glaring holes on the Oline would they? Please tell me they wouldn't! Please somebody! Anybody! Tell me they wouldn't! Nervous
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:15 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: They wouldn't take a DB at 21 when there are still glaring holes on the Oline would they? Please tell me they wouldn't! Please somebody! Anybody! Tell me they wouldn't! Nervous

If the value isn't there for the OL available they wont reach
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 08:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: **** PFF, they're a friggin' joke and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

If he graded high, good for him.

The guy is a great route runner, has become a good blocker and, aside from week 2 in 2016 (where the refs screwed things up and EVERYONE had issues), he has superb hands as well.

He hasn't done anything? For his snap count, his stats are just as good as Kroft, in the past 2 years, save for TDs.

Why do you think his snap count is so low?

I will give you that for some reason we won't play good quality players.  However when Eifert was out Uzomah did not step up.  When the star TE goes down then you would expect the snap count for the back ups to increase.  With the increase snap count his stats should be greater. 

You may even insinuate that Dalton didn't have the time to get him the ball due to the pressure.  However Kroft's stats and snap count increased when Eifert went down and Dalton had time to find Kroft.  Just not Uzomah.

You may like the guy, but I am not impressed.  I would be content with us going Hurst in the 1st.  Then rolling out Eifert, Hurst and Kroft at the start of the season.  Tell Uzomah to stay in shape and work on some things and if he is available, sign him back should somebody go down.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 11:02 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: You don't fix a mistake by not addressing it though.

It was addressed they resigned a better option in the already proven Eifert. Problem with the poor draft selection in the past and just last year in Ross is that we shouldn’t of had to resign the injury prone Eifert....we should’ve been able to let Eifert walk cuz we should’ve selected Howard last ur. Not the forever worthless ross Almost tho dude
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 03:13 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Why do you think his snap count is so low?

I will give you that for some reason we won't play good quality players.  However when Eifert was out Uzomah did not step up.  When the star TE goes down then you would expect the snap count for the back ups to increase.  With the increase snap count his stats should be greater. 

You may even insinuate that Dalton didn't have the time to get him the ball due to the pressure.  However Kroft's stats and snap count increased when Eifert went down and Dalton had time to find Kroft.  Just not Uzomah.

You may like the guy, but I am not impressed.  I would be content with us going Hurst in the 1st.  Then rolling out Eifert, Hurst and Kroft at the start of the season.  Tell Uzomah to stay in shape and work on some things and if he is available, sign him back should somebody go down.

But Ceej's didn't go up that much; last year they did and we saw the decent output, until Eifert returned.

This year, there were less TE snaps used (for whatever reason) for routes and Cethan ******* Carter was used for a bit in the first half of the year (I have absolutely 0 clue why, butterfinger'd loser), instead of giving those snaps to either Kroft or Ceej.

Anyways, a 3 TE set with them 3 will be more than fine, otherwise you will have too much talent and won't be able to take advantage of it; like the Jordy Nelson thread from a month ago; a pick of Hurst would absolutely not hurt the team, but you don't need it.

At all.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:10 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Hurst is at best the third best te in this class. Give me goedert and gesecki over Hurst any day of the week and twice on Sunday.that said I don't want us to draft a te high as I don't believe that he is a major need. Minor one. Not Major.

Which talking head are you listening to?  None of them have Goedert or Gesecki higher than Hurst. 

Both of those guys aren't very good blockers.  Hurst is adequate in that department.  I think Gesecki has been compared to Fleener and that isn't the type of TE we need.

Now TE is a need, especially since everyone seemed to want us to take Howard last year.  If TE was a need then, it is still a need now as it hasn't been addressed yet.

With 25 picks between our 1st round and 2nd round selections we should be able to nab a top rated OC in round 2.  With 2 picks in the 3rd round we can pick up a decent OG (possibly and OC/OG hybrid) and even nab a LBer.  I wouldn't even be surprised if Gesecki is still available in the 3rd round.  That was when Travis Kelce was drafted in 2013, so not out of the realm for him to be there.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 03:23 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: It was addressed they resigned a better option in the already proven Eifert.  Problem with the poor draft selection in the past and just last year in Ross is that we shouldn’t of had to resign the injury prone Eifert....we should’ve been able to let Eifert walk cuz we should’ve selected Howard last ur.  Not the forever worthless ross  Almost tho dude

No it wasn't addressed.  At best we have Eifert for this year and then have to sign him to a bigger deal next year.  At worst, Eifert is injured and he leaves at the end of this year.

Yes we should have taken Howard.  I think Ross was a Zampese guy and that was why we took him.  However we did take Ross (who, with any luck will actually get to play), and you don't ignore a need because of what we should have done last year.  You don't hope that Eifert stays healthy all year.  You plan for the future, Hurst would be an Eifert replacement and if Eifert stays healthy this year, then we will have 2 TEs that can do damage to the defenses.  One blocks while the other goes out wide.  Switch it up throughout the game and keep the defenses guessing. 

Keep them both blocking and allow the RBs to make plays.  Supposedly Mixon is a good back.  I don't see it, but many loved the selection, so if he is that good then give him the blockers to prove he wasn't a waste.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 03:23 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: But Ceej's didn't go up that much; last year they did and we saw the decent output, until Eifert returned.

This year, there were less TE snaps used (for whatever reason) for routes and Cethan ******* Carter was used for a bit in the first half of the year (I have absolutely 0 clue why, butterfinger'd loser), instead of giving those snaps to either Kroft or Ceej.

Anyways, a 3 TE set with them 3 will be more than fine, otherwise you will have too much talent and won't be able to take advantage of it; like the Jordy Nelson thread from a month ago; a pick of Hurst would absolutely not hurt the team, but you don't need it.

At all.

I know that Uzomah's didn't go up.  Even with Eifert out, he didn't get the snaps.  My question is why?

As you said, they went with Carter (agree) and not with Uzomah.  There had to be a reason for it, maybe some locker room / practice stuff, but whatever, Uzomah didn't make an impact.

A Hurst pick would be like the Eifert pick.  Planning for the future, while bringing in a guy that can play immediately if needed.  We had Gresham when we drafted Eifert and many didn't think Eifert was needed then and many didn't like the selection.  However it was a sound selection (I remember a guy got attacked for it on the other board) as Gresham wasn't retained.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2018, 11:01 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Your preference is noted.  However let us not pass up on a good / great TE just because we didn't get one last year.

I wouldn't have an issue with Hernandez at 21 if he is there (can never have too many OGs), yet I do think this is a deep class at OLine and that we can get those filled in rounds 2-3. 

LBer isn't as much of a need as many make it out to be, so I would go with one later.  FS has been missing for a while now and I did have hope with Derron Smith, but it seems he isn't stepping up so if a top guy is there then I would take him, if not then I would do the same as with LBer.

To me the draft for the 1st 3 picks should be Hurst (if available), OLine, OLine.

I belly laugh when I read linebacker is not as big of a need people are making it out to be lol. We have only two competent linebackers on the roster. One of those two is suspended for the first 4 weeks at least and that same one will be a FA at the end of the year lol. But ur probably right smh. Lol I just disagree 100%. We want to stop the run but we don’t want any linebackers....right on.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2018, 04:12 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Yes, getting rid of PA was the highlight of the off season for me.  I like what Pollack has done in Houston and Dallas so he should be able to rehabilitate our OLine.

However, I would theorize that had we had done any combination of Zeit, DeCastro or Glenn, then we may have actually won a Play off game or 2 and who knows possibly a SB.

A line that has bookends Whitworth and Smith with the OG being any of those 3 would have given Dalton more time in the pocket as well as making our RBs more successful.  The following year we picked up Eifert and Bernard and that would have been where our Post season success truly began.  We would have had AJ Green, Eifert, Bernard, Sanu and Jones Jr, with Dalton having the time to plan his retirement during each snap.  We would have had this for 3-4 years.

I agree that getting an OC in the 2nd round is more ideal than trying to get one in the 1st.  If you ask 10 different people who the best OC is in this draft, you would get 10 different answers.  If you ask those people to name the best TE they will give you Hayden Hurst.

Really?
I would say Dallas Goerdart for best TE in draft.
Reply/Quote