Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I believe Shazier wasn't flagged
I avoided trying to explain to you numbskulls as to why I believe Shaziers hit was not flagged.

Now that it is apparent Shazier will not be fined...

When the expert in the video explains "lining up" your opponent, it seems to imply that the defenders intent is to "seek out and destroy" so to speak, as demonstrated by the Redskins DB in the video...when the defender has time to  think and calculate the hit.

Shaziers hit was not the type of helmet to helmet hit explained in the video because it was bang bang...reactionary, and instantaneous...not a seek out and destroy having "time to think and calculate" hit.

Recall Hines Ward kind of did the same thing where he would seek out a defender to block then knock his head off.

Could that be why Shaziers hit wasn't flagged?

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:10 PM)Vlad Wrote: I avoided trying to explain to you numbskulls as to why I believe Shaziers hit was not flagged.

When the expert in the video explains "lining up" your opponent, it seems to imply that the defenders intent is to "seek out and destroy" so to speak, as demonstrated by the Redskins DB in the video...when the defender has time to  think and calculate the hit.

Shaziers hit was not the type of helmet to helmet hit explained in the video because it was bang bang...reactionary, and instantaneous...not a seek out and destroy having "time to think and calculate" hit.

Recall Hines Ward kind of did the same thing where he would seek out a defender to block then knock his head off.

No. You're dismissed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
[Image: e522ae513ef0b49dd64e24006b1409a8.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good for you.

No one cares.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:10 PM)Vlad Wrote: I avoided trying to explain to you numbskulls as to why I believe Shaziers hit was not flagged.

The NFL ignored leading with the crown of your helmet, you and any other NFL biased person can try and act as though it was legal. It was not, but if I am the Bengals, I would use the same hit over and over again and dare a flag or a fine. Just remember when it happens to your guy and he is paralyzed and drinks out of a straw the rest of his life we told you and your Steeler's brethren there is no place in the NFL for a hit using the crown of your helmet.it was illegal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The flag not being thrown is because they could have missed it. I can live with that. The NFL trying to whitewash it is a travesty. Shazier's head is up and then he lowers it right before contact so he hits with the crown.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 04:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The flag not being thrown is because they could have missed it. I can live with that. The NFL trying to whitewash it is a travesty. Shazier's head is up and then he lowers it right before contact so he hits with the crown.

I am a Steelers fan and I approve this thinking. When you slow it down you see Shazier looking straight at him, and then lower his head for the impact. It is dangerous to both Shazier and Gio to do that, it is stupid, and it should have been flagged and/or fined.
Reply/Quote
When I picture you in my head talking, I think of Mike Seaver's friend Boner Stabone from Growing Pains. Shocked
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: When I picture you in my head talking, I think of Mike Seaver's friend Boner Stabone from Growing Pains.  Shocked

Thats a blast from the past
Reply/Quote
As for the whole "lining up" thing, those who have played know you have to visually locate and line up a player to hit him that square. I have done it in both football and hockey. And depending on your proximity, it only takes a split second to line someone up. So I'm not buying the whole line up thing. Not saying I'm continuing the whole legal/illegal debate, because that doesn't matter anymore. Just saying....he lined him up.
Reply/Quote

...says Vlad, the bloviator

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The truth is, when you watch the video replay. Shazier does see Bernard, he does square up his shoulder, then he does lower his head and lead with the top of his helmet.

If the NFL is going to ignore this, then the rest of the players should start playing accordingly.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The truth is, when you watch the video replay.  Shazier does see Bernard, he does square up his shoulder, then he does lower his head and lead with the top of his helmet.

If the NFL is going to ignore this, then the rest of the players should start playing accordingly.

I agree they should all head hunt as the NFL had a shot to review this so any enforcement is a potential lawsuit and the defender can cue up the Shazier hit as proof the league condones it
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Vlad ,give up it was an illegal hit. It should of been called. And as far as saying it could of been missed by the refs, I'm not buying it.

Let me ask you this question ,if Burfict had made that exact hit on the Steelers what is the percentage chance that a penalty flag would have been thrown?

My guess- 100% chance

Shazier is suspect with his play, so why wasn't it thrown?

Maybe because it was a turnover?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 07:53 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: When I picture you in my head talking, I think of Mike Seaver's friend Boner Stabone from Growing Pains.  Shocked

That guy killed himself.   Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 10:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That guy killed himself.   Mellow

Is Boner really steelman? Asking for the boards. 
Reply/Quote
What I like especially is when he says the angle doesn't matter here. The defender located the ball carrier and made a straight line lowering his head and delivering a blow with the crown of his helmet.

From PFT regarding why Shazier's hit was legal:

Regarding the 2013 rule preventing hits with the crown of the helmet, Blandino explained in a weekly officiating video that the play lacked the key element of the player “lining up” the opponent. Blandino said that, because the players were moving at different angles, Shazier wasn’t able to “line up” Bernard.

So in one video Blandino says angle doesn't matter and in this instance the angle prevented the "lining up."

#goodbyecredibility
Reply/Quote
How can it be bang bang reactionary if the pass catcher apparently had enough time to lose his defenseless status, and hasn't moved from the spot he caught the ball? All he did was turn around. Wasn't a moving target or anything.

Can't say bang band AND had the ball too long to be a defenseless receiver. You don't get to have both on a target that hasn't moved.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/01/15/cincinnati-bengals-pittsburgh-steelers-playoff-fines/78846208/

Quote:The play seemed to be in violation of the rule regarding leading with the crown of the helmet.

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

In his weekly video review of certain plays, NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino said several rules were at play, including being a defenseless receiver and becoming a runner. Blandino said "he is not a defenseless receiver at the time of contact." This was ruled on the field and Blandino affirmed this.

Blandino then broke down three elements of consideration within Article 8 and why the Shazier hit is considered a legal play.

“But there’s three elements to that rule. You have to line up your opponent, you have to lower your head, and you have to make forcible contact with the very top of the helmet. The key issue here is the line up. And when we’re talking about angles, and the players are moving at different angles, where you have Bernard is moving in this direction, Shazier is moving in this direction, then we don’t have the line up.

"You’re really dealing with the players moving in the same direction towards each other when this rule would apply. The theory being, when players are moving at angles, they don’t have as much opportunity to avoid that contact. That’s where the rule does not apply.

"You watch it here, we’re moving at angle, not a foul."

Blandino continued: "We certainly are concerned with players lowering their head. We don’t want players to lower their head to initiate contact. That’s why this rule was in place, to coach that, and to get that out of the game. And the players have done a great job and the players have done a great job. This crown of the helmet rule has not been called very often. We haven’t had a lot of fines in this area because we’re not seeing it very often. But we have to continue to look at this technique and make sure that where we can we eliminate it from the game and we prohibit players and deter players from dropping and using the crown of the helmet.”

He did say that this rule, along with all others, is reviewed every offseason and added that will continue to be a discussion topic.

the original link is over in JN so y'all can jizz all over yourselves complain that Blandino is WRONG....then go say how he said the Steelers TD was not a TD and he is RIGHT. Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/01/15/cincinnati-bengals-pittsburgh-steelers-playoff-fines/78846208/

the original link is over in JN so y'all can jizz all over yourselves complain that Blandino is WRONG....then go say how he said the Steelers TD was not a TD and he is RIGHT.   Cool

Let it go, man. 

Every single opinion a person gives doesn't have to be 100% wrong or 100% right. 

[Image: super%20salty_zpsg4vqom2u.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote