Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are we ALWAYS blaming Marvin Lewis?
Nice job on your OP, Homer, but it was TL so I DR.

As far as Marvin is concerned, he's gotta go. No playoff wins, could've had a great roster this season but somehow managed to lose half our receiving corps,players are not progressing the way they used to, he kept Nuge on the roster WAY too long and he has the same BS excuses week after week; year after year. We didn't execute. We have to work harder. Dead Horse

If I see him standing there with that stupid grin and clapping his hands like a seal next season, I really do think I'll legit be done. Not living in Cincinnati anymore will make it easier.

Do I want to do that?? No, but FFS how much pain, disappointment and crap can you put yourself thru for an NFL team? One that's never moving forward. This is a decades long issue...maybe you've not been around that long, but I have and it's old. It sucks. I'm tired of this BS.

Nothing will really change until Mike dies...Who the hell knows what'll happen when Katie takes over...She might be just as inept as her daddy. Yikes.

My bet is Giggles will be the coach next season and they'll have yet another shitty season. I can't put myself thru that, it's a waste of time, money and energy.

Especially after 30 or so years of this crap.
Reply/Quote
Marvin was quoted as saying this game was just like every other game.

Uh. No it wasn't and I can tell you now Mike Tomlin was not preaching that to his team.

this was an elimination game versus your bitter rivals and far more important than say the Redskins game ealier in the year.

Marvin is clueless.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Marvin Lewis has been here too long. I'm just ready for a change. And soon.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
There is no possible way to justify Marvin Lewis keeping his job. This guy has not won a single playoff game as our head coach. No other owner would ever keep a head coach for 12 plus seasons without a single playoff win. People in the league laugh at Mike Brown because he has no clue what he's doing. It's crazy that Lewis still has a job as the Bengals head coach. It makes no sense at all. He had more than enough chances to prove himself and has failed terribly. Five first round playoff losses in a row and he keeps coming back. Now all this talent on this team and there bottom ten team. Lewis should have been fired three years ago. The front office on this team in the worst in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:32 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Why are we ALWAYS blaming Marvin Lewis?

Let me name the ways.

I'll start with the year after year issues
1. 0-7 playoff record.
2. Continued weak to no half-time or in-game adjustments.
3. Very poor big game record and performance.
4. Team just can't handle controversy on the field. Witness last year's playoff game.
5. Just can't beat Pittsburgh, even at home.

This year issues which just cost us
6. Starts Oggieboggie for game after game even though he just wasn't close to getting it done and his play was costing us games.
7. Kept Nugent going even though his misses were costing us games.

As for your list, we cut Tate we didn't lose him to Buffalo. We low balled Hall after Jackson was injured.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:32 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Can some people cut the dude some SLACK... He is our GM, runs our drafts, coaches our players.... has kept continuity.... Pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making... and been a staple for our team that just made the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Now lets be realistic... Yes we made the playoffs 5 years in a row... But we had MASSIVE changes this year that were huge hurdles to overcome...

AND on top of all of this below, we won the AFC North, so we were playing with a 1st place schedule!

Are people forgetting all of the below......?

1. Losing our Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson to the Cleveland Browns
  2. Losing Leon Hall to the New York Giants
  3. Losing Reggie Nelson to the Oakland Raiders
  4. Losing Andre Smith to the Minnesota Vikings
  5. Losing Marvin Jones Jr. to the Detroit Lions (currently has 46 receptions for 797 yards and 4 TDs)
  6. Losing Mohammed Sanu to the Atlanta Falcons (currently has 49 receptions for 521 yards and 3 TDs)
  7. Losing Brandon Tate to the Buffalo Bills
  8. Not having Vontaze Burfict for the first 3 games of the season
  9. Not having Tyler Eifert for the first 6 games of the season, injured in the Pro-Bowl
  10. Andy Dalton coming off of sitting the last 8 games of 2015 due to a thumb injury
  11. 1st round draft pick William Jackson III injured before season begins
  12. 4th round draft pick Andrew Billings injured before season begins
  13. Our spark plug on offense and consistent producer Giovani Bernard injured week 11
  14. Our best player and offensive PLAYMAKER AJ Green injured week 11
In the end, Marvin Lewis fought for change and is the MAIN reason we have good drafts, he is the main reason we have consistency, and he is the main reason we have a culture shift where ELITE TALENT players like AJ Green are saying I WANT TO STAY HERE.. Stay here as in, be a Cincinnati Bengal for the rest of his career.

Does anyone else remember when Marvin Lewis first showed up and he said leave if you don't want to be here and Takeo Spikes literally sprinted out of the door? Does anyone else remember Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer demanding their ways out of town? Or Corey Dillon flicking off our fans in Paul Brown Stadium?

Yes this year sucked, but I guarantee about 15-20 other teams in the NFL would kill to have our roster, our programs consistency, and our winning percentage over the past 6 years.

Sure it would be awesome to have Jon Gruden or some high profile coach, but Mike Brown is never going to do that, we have Marvin, he wants to win here, and the players aren't demanding their way out with him as our leader.

This year sucked but with everything that happened, its not all MARVIN LEWIS'S fault... The same guy who has groomed Mike Zimmer who the Minnesota Vikings fanbase think is the second coming of Jesus... and Jay Gruden who has been doing wonders with Kirk Cousins and the Redskins... And last but not least, Hue Jackson.

I believe in Marvin.. but our PRO FOOTBALL team is also run like a small family business... Yes, the Patriots have an owner who also owns Kraft Cheese... So he gives people the ability to run their football team... We don't... I'm pretty sure Mike Browns whole family have important jobs... Just as if they were running a local hardware company thats been passed down for generations.. Do they deserve those jobs? Lets call for some of them to be fired before Marvin. At least Marvin has done things I love and is held accountable publicly.

[Image: ladies_stop_hatin_tshirt-rb6ec66b21fc648...ml_324.jpg][Image: Marvin%20Lewis_640px_1450393024152_28578...40_480.jpg]

My simple answer is that it is the responsibility of the head coach to come up with a game plan and make adjustments during the game.  The opposition always seems able to adjust, and the Bengals pay the price for their inability to do so.  He also has had some fourteen years to learn how to coach a two minute drill, yet still looks like he is completely lost in those situations.  

These games are so close the majority of the time.  Poor adjustments made in-game and the inability to run two-minute offenses has killed this team for so long.  I love Marv for what he did in bringing this team to respectability, but hate him as a game manager.  I want to see what a better coach can do with this talent.  The time is now.  
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis, I've defended this man for forever, but these issues have been prevalent for years. Shit, even going back as far as Carson Palmer days. The Palmer/Dalton era couldn't be anymore different in terms of talent, skill and what we have in terms of coaching. Yet, few things remain.

-Inability to win a playoff game
-Conservative play calling with a 'lead'
-Lack of halftime adjustments
-Cannot win on prime time (or struggle to)
-First down runs
-Multiple teams calling our play calls 'predictable'
-Poor draft decisions (this may rest on MB more than anything)

Offensive/defense coordinators have changed. Personnel has changed too. The only thing that hasn't changed? Marvin Lewis. Lewis is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but we need a change.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 10:32 PM)MC Howley Wrote: Can some people cut the dude some SLACK... He is our GM, runs our drafts, coaches our players.... has kept continuity.... Pushed Mike Brown out of the decision making... and been a staple for our team that just made the playoffs 5 years in a row.

Now lets be realistic... Yes we made the playoffs 5 years in a row... But we had MASSIVE changes this year that were huge hurdles to overcome...

AND on top of all of this below, we won the AFC North, so we were playing with a 1st place schedule!

Are people forgetting all of the below......?

1. Losing our Offensive Coordinator Hue Jackson to the Cleveland Browns
  2. Losing Leon Hall to the New York Giants
  3. Losing Reggie Nelson to the Oakland Raiders
  4. Losing Andre Smith to the Minnesota Vikings
  5. Losing Marvin Jones Jr. to the Detroit Lions (currently has 46 receptions for 797 yards and 4 TDs)
  6. Losing Mohammed Sanu to the Atlanta Falcons (currently has 49 receptions for 521 yards and 3 TDs)
  7. Losing Brandon Tate to the Buffalo Bills
  8. Not having Vontaze Burfict for the first 3 games of the season
  9. Not having Tyler Eifert for the first 6 games of the season, injured in the Pro-Bowl
  10. Andy Dalton coming off of sitting the last 8 games of 2015 due to a thumb injury
  11. 1st round draft pick William Jackson III injured before season begins
  12. 4th round draft pick Andrew Billings injured before season begins
  13. Our spark plug on offense and consistent producer Giovani Bernard injured week 11
  14. Our best player and offensive PLAYMAKER AJ Green injured week 11
In the end, Marvin Lewis fought for change and is the MAIN reason we have good drafts, he is the main reason we have consistency, and he is the main reason we have a culture shift where ELITE TALENT players like AJ Green are saying I WANT TO STAY HERE.. Stay here as in, be a Cincinnati Bengal for the rest of his career.

Does anyone else remember when Marvin Lewis first showed up and he said leave if you don't want to be here and Takeo Spikes literally sprinted out of the door? Does anyone else remember Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer demanding their ways out of town? Or Corey Dillon flicking off our fans in Paul Brown Stadium?

Yes this year sucked, but I guarantee about 15-20 other teams in the NFL would kill to have our roster, our programs consistency, and our winning percentage over the past 6 years.

Sure it would be awesome to have Jon Gruden or some high profile coach, but Mike Brown is never going to do that, we have Marvin, he wants to win here, and the players aren't demanding their way out with him as our leader.

This year sucked but with everything that happened, its not all MARVIN LEWIS'S fault... The same guy who has groomed Mike Zimmer who the Minnesota Vikings fanbase think is the second coming of Jesus... and Jay Gruden who has been doing wonders with Kirk Cousins and the Redskins... And last but not least, Hue Jackson.

I believe in Marvin.. but our PRO FOOTBALL team is also run like a small family business... Yes, the Patriots have an owner who also owns Kraft Cheese... So he gives people the ability to run their football team... We don't... I'm pretty sure Mike Browns whole family have important jobs... Just as if they were running a local hardware company thats been passed down for generations.. Do they deserve those jobs? Lets call for some of them to be fired before Marvin. At least Marvin has done things I love and is held accountable publicly.

[Image: ladies_stop_hatin_tshirt-rb6ec66b21fc648...ml_324.jpg][Image: Marvin%20Lewis_640px_1450393024152_28578...40_480.jpg]
Because he's been the one constant in the equation of ineptness that has plagued this team.
Reply/Quote
Just like Mike Nugent his time has come and gone. Marvin needs to step down as HC.
Reply/Quote
Our offensive game plan once we get ahead has been a disaster for 13 years. How many fricking times do we need to continue to watch the Bengals go into a shell after they get a lead and lose a game or make it closer than it needed to be.

How many times do we need to watch our coaching staff completely outcoached by half time adjustments by the opposing team?
40 yards of offense in the second half- that is absolutely inexcusable.

But that is what happens when you start running Hill every first and second down and put Dalton in third and long against the Steelers defense matched up against our way below average offensive line.

No other NFL team in history would still employ Lewis given his record breaking awful record in playoff games, his abysmal record against our main rival overall, his disgraceful record against the Steelers at Paul brown Stadium and his awful record in prime time games and his below 500 record against playoff caliber teams.

Name another NFL team who would still be starting Bodine, Malaluga, and Peko or keep Og in starting lineup well into the season after it was more than clear that he stinks at RT.

How much evidence does anyone need to have to know that the Bengals are never going any where in the playoffs with Marvin as head coach.

No one on this board has been following the Bengals longer than me or been more loyal. But honest to Pete Rose if I lived in Cincinnati I would cancel my season tickets if Marvin is not fired at the end of the season. I would be writing the letter to Mike Brown right now. he would throw it in the trash of course.

No other organization in any professional field would tolerate Marvin's incredibly poor record and retain his services.

Insanity is doing the same unsuccessful thing over and over. I must be insane to have loyally watched this organization that is obviously not committed to excellence for 49 years.
Reply/Quote
Name me another coach that has stayed the coach for 14 years with no playoff wins? Why should we cut him some slack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:50 AM)Clappington Wrote: Name me another coach that has stayed the coach for 14 years with no playoff wins?  Why should we cut him some slack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name me another NFL Management Team that has retained their jobs after 26+ years with no playoff wins?

You are looking at a tree and not seeing that it is part of a forest.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name me another NFL Management Team that has retained their jobs after 26+ years with no playoff wins?

You are looking at a tree and not seeing that it is part of a forest.

Agree to an extent, but yesterday is a prime example of why you move on from Marv.  The dreaded halftime adjustments.  They made 'em, we had no answer.  Typical Marv Ball.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The fact that you put losing Brando Tate as one of your reasons really made me chuckle. Thank you mate.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 11:45 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agree to an extent, but yesterday is a prime example of why you move on from Marv.  The dreaded halftime adjustments.  They made 'em, we had no answer.  Typical Marv Ball.

No doubt he needs to go based on the playoff meltdown last year. Based on the couple years when we did have one of the most talented teams in the NFL and didn't win a playoff game. But...the management structure will make it hard for anyone to win.
Reply/Quote
Pretty funny post considering at least 7 of the 14 reasons listed were things the team couldn't control or had decided on a while ago.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt he needs to go based on the playoff meltdown last year. Based on the couple years when we did have one of the most talented teams in the NFL and didn't win a playoff game. But...the management structure will make it hard for anyone to win.

Frustrating, isn't it?  I was souring on him after 2010, 2013 sealed the deal for me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 10:50 AM)Clappington Wrote: Name me another coach that has stayed the coach for 14 years with no playoff wins?  Why should we cut him some slack?

(12-19-2016, 11:22 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Name me another NFL Management Team that has retained their jobs after 26+ years with no playoff wins?

The problem is that both statements are accurate.

Bengals management has overseen the longest current playoff victory drought in the NFL.

And, the head coach has achieved NFL record setting levels in playoff futility.

Both deserve a great deal of blame. Both are responsible for their own failures. Neither can be let off the hook or given a pass by saying the other is more to blame. Looking at them separately, both management and the head coach have failed in respect to their own specific responsibilities.

But, it's even more complicated when you consider that the head coach, for at least the past few years, has been a part of management in terms of making decisions. Mike stated a couple years ago that Marvin and Katie were basically running things, but Marvin and Katie have also said that Mike is still 'involved' in every aspect. 

Who's going to hold who accountable? I don't know that internal criticism plays much of a factor within their circle.
Reply/Quote
What are the excuses for a guy that is 0-7 in the playoffs, has such an abysmal record against the division rival Steelers that i just can't bring myself to post it, has a well below average record in prime time games (and even worse when you take out Thursday night games), regularly coaches a team that does what the Bengals did Sunday--early lead followed by a 2nd half collapse--and has done it all with numerous QBs, RBs, WRs, TEs, OLs, DLs, LBs, DBs and special teamers over the course of almost 14 seasons?

Can you shoot me a list of those excuses?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Here's some more stuff I digged up...

The Bengals have scored fifty-one (51) points in the 4th quarter this season - Last in the NFL

The Bengals have scored four (4) TD's in the 4th quarter this season.
Two (2) of those 4th quarter TD's were in the blowout loss to Dallas.
Nine (9) points scored in the 4th quarter at Paul Brown Stadium.
Zero (0) 4th quarter TD's at Paul Brown Stadium.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote