Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why are we not reading this headline?
(01-03-2017, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Adam Jones Released by Cincinnati Bengals

They want to wait and see what happens in the justice system.  I think that's fair.  Goodall, however, will probably suspend him beforehand anyway.  I personally think it's time to move on from him, but he does deserve to be treated as "innocent until proven guilty."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 01:44 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While I am certainly on board the release Pacman band wagon, I also understand why the Bengals have not done so at this time. First, to do so without the legal system doing it's thing first would probably result in a grievance filed with the players union especially at this time of the season, it is just an odd time to see a player cut. The second part, and probably the bigger thing, is that if the league goes off of his history and drops the hammer on him over this, the Bengals might be able to come out of this with less of a cap hit. Can't imagine a guy counts against the cap if he gets suspended indefinitely.

Wait and see how it plays out is the right move at this point, just so long as Pacman isn't on the team come training camp.

I'm no expert on the subject, but teams release players after arrests all the time. Is there always a grievance? Is there no protection for teams when it comes to arrests...particularly with repeat offenders?

(01-05-2017, 10:01 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They want to wait and see what happens in the justice system.  I think that's fair.  Goodall, however, will probably suspend him beforehand anyway.  I personally think it's time to move on from him, but he does deserve to be treated as "innocent until proven guilty."

No offense Bonnie, but I don't think that's it. If the Bengals wait for anything, it's for the public/media outcry to dissipate. If they planned on cutting Adam they would've done so by now. Even with a suspension, he's a Bengal in 2017. Book it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Innocent until proven guilty :).
Reply/Quote
I want him gone anyway, but wouldn't be surprised if this is all dismissed. Assault, disorderly, and obstruction are often bullshit charges... I'm done with him either way.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 09:39 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Hmmm...maybe I can help us reset.

Look, Mr. Smarty Pants, you don't get to be an NFL owner like Mr. Brown without being totally sperm lucky an expert on the game of football.  If Mr. Brown is holding onto Pacman than you can damn well better believe there's money, some lawyer bullshit or a middle finger to the fans involved a damn good reason.  He knows how to cash his NFL subsidy checks run a business better than anybody.  

Mike Brown became an NFL owner because of his last name, because he is a member of the lucky sperm club.  It has absolutely nothing to do with his football acumen. And while he may be a good businessman (worth noting that it is literally impossible to lose money as and NFL owner) where do the Bengals rank in terms of team value?  Last time I looked they were number 30, right near the bottom.  Where do they rank as far as Super Bowls and playoff wins?  Same spot...
Reply/Quote
One thing is obvious. He doesn't think of "team first" when he gets in these situations.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 07:50 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: One thing is obvious.  He doesn't think of "team first" when he gets in these situations.

Or even "family first".
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 10:01 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: They want to wait and see what happens in the justice system.  I think that's fair.  Goodall, however, will probably suspend him beforehand anyway.  I personally think it's time to move on from him, but he does deserve to be treated as "innocent until proven guilty."

Bonnie, if this were a 1st, or even 2nd run in with the law, I would most certainly be giving Adam Jones the benefit of the doubt.  Weather the circumstances, at the time of his arrest, warranted him being a jackass is inconsequential, at this point.  He is experienced enough to know better than to put his professional self in any position for any stuff like that to happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 02:18 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Mike Brown became an NFL owner because of his last name, because he is a member of the lucky sperm club.  It has absolutely nothing to do with his football acumen. And while he may be a good businessman (worth noting that it is literally impossible to lose money as and NFL owner) where do the Bengals rank in terms of team value?  Last time I looked they were number 30, right near the bottom.  Where do they rank as far as Super Bowls and playoff wins?  Same spot...

My post was satire.  So, yes, we agree.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 10:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm no expert on the subject, but teams release players after arrests all the time. Is there always a grievance? Is there no protection for teams when it comes to arrests...particularly with repeat offenders?

No offense Bonnie, but I don't think that's it. If the Bengals wait for anything, it's for the public/media outcry to dissipate. If they planned on cutting Adam they would've done so by now. Even with a suspension, he's a Bengal in 2017. Book it.

There is actually a lot of players who get arrested on minor charges that aren't released immediately. And, while this is strike number 6,000 for Pacman, these are still mostly minor charges. It's not domestic violence, which is pretty much an instant cut at this point as it should be, this just feels like the kind of charges that may end up in fines and no jail time and in that case, I could potentially see a grievance filed with the players union. Not sure, but either way the best thing for the Bengals to do is just wait for the courts to rule and then the commish to rule. After that, it will be easier to distance themselves from it.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yet still, no release announced...

Taking control of the team, is the first step toward winning..

You would think if they learned anything from the Chris Henry and Thurman era is that if you don't drop the hammer it opens the door for more incidents like this. Hell even up standing guys like Leon Hall got in trouble during those days.
Reply/Quote
There is no reason that Jones should be released right now. Until he is convicted and found guilty, he shouldn't be.

How would you like it if you got fired without being given a fair trial?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: There is no reason that Jones should be released right now.  Until he is convicted and found guilty, he shouldn't be.

That holds true when it is your first, maybe even your second issue, but at this point Jones has lost all the benefit of the doubt.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 09:26 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: My post was satire.  So, yes, we agree.

Sorry, I missed that... my bad.

(01-05-2017, 11:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: There is no reason that Jones should be released right now.  Until he is convicted and found guilty, he shouldn't be.

People are fired every day before their case gets to trial.  There are many companies who would fire a high profile employee (what Pacman is) simply for being arrested and brining this attention on the organization, especially when that person is a repeat offender (which he certainly is).
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 10:32 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: In a nutshell ... Jones has a family for crying out loud.  Someone with a family has no business being out and about at that time of night/morning.

I know Lewis has stressed and stressed this and even Burfict, for crying out loud, has been able to hold point on this off the field.

How many years does it take for a husband and father to get this through their skull?????

Hate to say it, but prisons are full of family guys. Just go to the local drunk tank and you will hear all kinds of guys tell you about their 9 kids by 12 different baby mamas.. 
Yeah, pretty useless individuals..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
PacMan is a personal project for MB. I'd imagine they will wait for the legal process to run its course and if it does not make their choice for them I would not
be surprised to see him retained. If court goes badly then MB will sadly release him but yeah...MB will not move until the legal process wraps up.
Reply/Quote

Typically, I would agree with what you are saying, but in this instance I cannot.  This is not some youthful mistake that often times happens when young athletes suddenly find themselves with more money than they've ever had in their lives.  This is another incident in a series, where a guy has a history of aggressive behavior and run ins with the law.

Not only does this episode bring even more negative publicity and shame to the organization, it sets a terrible example for the younger players.  Jones is supposed to be a veteran leader in that secondary, he should be professional enough to carry himself in a responsible manner off the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Waiting for this headline so the effing miserable curse ends.

Mike Brown dead - Blackburn hires GM
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2017, 12:24 AM)Rattler Wrote: Waiting for this headline so the effing miserable curse ends.

Mike Brown dead - Blackburn hires GM

With our luck:

Mike Brown dead - Blackburn says "Dad didn't need a GM so why would I?"
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Typically, I would agree with what you are saying, but in this instance I cannot.  This is not some youthful mistake that often times happens when young athletes suddenly find themselves with more money than they've ever had in their lives.  This is another incident in a series, where a guy has a history of aggressive behavior and run ins with the law.

Not only does this episode bring even more negative publicity and shame to the organization, it sets a terrible example for the younger players.  Jones is supposed to be a veteran leader in that secondary, he should be professional enough to carry himself in a responsible manner off the field.
Agree with this.
Reply/Quote