Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't the Bengals do some of this
This is a rhetorical question and I also know it's like beating a dead horse because this subject has been discussed before. It just bugs me that the Reds are so good at stuff like this and the Bengals (Mike Brown) don't seem to give a damn.

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/208053034/pete-rose-statue-to-be-unveiled-june-17-at-gabp/?partnerId=as_cin__20161103_67534466&adbid=10154731664458760&adbpl=fb&adbpr=44027083759

Quote:Pete Rose statue to be unveiled June 17 at GABP

Press Release | 4:57 PM ET

CINCINNATI (Nov. 1, 2016) - The Cincinnati Reds have announced a statue of Reds Hall of Famer Pete Rose will be unveiled and dedicated outside of Great American Ball Park on Saturday, June 17, 2017.
The Rose statue will be the fourth at the ballpark honoring members of the Big Red Machine and will join statues of Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Tony Perez, all sculpted by local artist Tom Tsuchiya.
"The statue of Pete Rose will be the finishing touch on the celebration of Pete here at Great American Ball Park," said Phil Castellini, Reds Chief Operating Officer. "We had the honor of inducting him into the Reds Hall of Fame and retiring his number in 2016, and I know Pete is looking forward to his statue joining his Big Red Machine teammates on Crosley Terrace."
Tsuchiya worked with the Reds, the Reds Hall of Fame and Pete himself to create a sculpture that captures Rose during one of his trademark headfirst slides.
"All of us independently arrived at the headfirst slide depiction," said Tsuchiya. "The pose symbolizes his aggressive style of play and the sculpture captures Pete at the moment he touches down."
The Reds Hall of Fame & Museum will embark on a fundraising campaign that will offer fans multiple levels of giving to support the statue.
"The permanence of a sculpture outside the ballpark is the highest honor we can give a former player," said Rick Walls, Reds Hall of Fame & Museum executive director. "And soon the Reds Hall of Fame will be launching a fundraising campaign so fans can contribute to the statue fund and share in the legacy of one of the greatest players to ever wear a Reds uniform."
A dedication ceremony will take place prior to the June 17th Reds vs. L.A. Dodgers game (4:10 p.m.) along with a replica Pete Rose statue giveaway.
Tsuchiya also sculpted the four original statues on Crosley Terrace of Joe Nuxhall, Frank Robinson, Ernie Lombardi and Ted Kluszewski.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fat Mikey Brown in his fat propeller cap gave some bullshit about why they can't do a ring of honor (aka honor former greats) and it was infuriating. Just expect trash from these people and that way they'll never let you down.
Reply/Quote
This was a preview of the Pete Rose statue unveiling:

[Image: 897676b5cff335c653b16c9bcf92937b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Also:

"Pete Rose looks like I drew a face on my thumb."

LeBatard show.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown does not understand how the fans of the Bengals think, imo. Otherwise there would be a ring of honor, a more open communication with organization supporters, and a different spirit of football in Cincinnati in general.
Reply/Quote
A few of our board members have already sent in suggestions about the marvin Lewis statue outside PBS.
Reply/Quote
The lack of acknowledgement of past Bengals greats in PBS kills some of the atmosphere that could be created. Makes it seem like there is so little to celebrate, why even try? Even a statue for Paul Brown would be quite the improvement
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 10:35 PM)treee Wrote: Mike Brown does not understand how the fans of the Bengals think, imo. Otherwise there would be a ring of honor, a more open communication with organization supporters, and a different spirit of football in Cincinnati in general.

Wow! That would be a fantastic situation...If only it were real. Sad
Reply/Quote
He's a cheap sob in all honesty. He is still the biggest cancer that has ever happened to the Bengals organization and that's saying something considering both Pickens and TO played here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I remember in a recent interview Mike Brown made some comments about visiting other stadiums and viewing their ring of honor. He made the following comments:

"It’s an oddly complicated issue. We honor our old Pro Bowl players. We put up large permanent posters of them in the building and that has been our way of doing this. I was at a stadium recently and I looked around at the Ring of Honor players they have, and I would tell you that these are guys that played 30, 40, 50 years ago. People don’t know who the hell they are. These things have a shelf life and I wonder whether there isn’t a better way to recognize old contributing players. We are going to try to do it by focusing on the Pro Bowl players (and) putting something on our website. We’re pressed to have the space to do it out in the stadium itself. So, we will do it our way and we hope that the old players and the fans understand that it is a bona fide effort to recognize these people that played here and made the team what it is today.”

My response to that is, how else are younger generations of fans going to find out who they are if they are not being honored? I was lucky enough to have people in my life who could tell me about how great Anderson, Riley, Munoz, etc. were for the Bengals. However, I wasn't alive to witness any of this. I'm in no position to convey this to my children so now you have a situation where young Bengals fans have no way of knowing who the true Bengals greats are unless you have someone close to them who can give their perception. Even then, memory is short-lived.
Reply/Quote
I'm not convinced it's a money thing with Mike, although there is plenty of evidence for how cheap he is. I think he just doesn't care about stuff like that. I remember after PBS opened and people complained about how plain it looked and at least wanted some decor around the walls of the field and he said he was against that. But he finally caved and allowed them to be covered with the jungle motif. I'd think he would at least like to see a statue of his dad outside the stadium.
Reply/Quote
Mike has never had a Big Red Machine, or any machine for that matter. Perhaps these things will change once we win something. Ninja

That said i'd still like some numbers retired and a ring of honor.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 09:23 PM)BengalRed Wrote: This is a rhetorical question and I also know it's like beating a dead horse because this subject has been discussed before. It just bugs me that the Reds are so good at stuff like this and the Bengals (Mike Brown) don't seem to give a damn.

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/208053034/pete-rose-statue-to-be-unveiled-june-17-at-gabp/?partnerId=as_cin__20161103_67534466&adbid=10154731664458760&adbpl=fb&adbpr=44027083759

we haven't won anything... who should get a statue.. only person I can think of worthy is paul brown himself and he has his name on the stadium
Reply/Quote
If they have pictures of all the old Pro Bowlers in the stadium why do they need to be in a ring?
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 12:17 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I'm not convinced it's a money thing with Mike, although there is plenty of evidence for how cheap he is. I think he just doesn't care about stuff like that. I remember after PBS opened and people complained about how plain it looked and at least wanted some decor around the walls of the field and he said he was against that. But he finally caved and allowed them to be covered with the jungle motif. I'd think he would at least like to see a statue of his dad outside the stadium.

I remember either him or someone close to him remarking that s statue of Paul was unnecessary given the entire stadium bore his name.  

I agree about Mike's attitude.  I believe the man doesn't have a single sentimental bone in his body, nor does he have any empathy for the fan and his experiences.  

Mike's sole mission is to create as much wealth for his family as he can before he dies.  An admirable pursuit for an average man to be sure, but the last priority you want the owner of your favorite NFL team to possess.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 01:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we haven't won anything... who should get a statue.. only person I can think of worthy is paul brown himself and he has his name on the stadium
This.

Only Anthony Munoz is deserving of any great recognition. His number isn't retired, but best believe nobody will ever wear 78 in a regular season game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I guess a statue of this would be kinda cool
[Image: chadjohnson-riverdance.jpg]
or this
[Image: chad-ochocinco-fine-sign_original_display_image.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 01:30 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I remember either him or someone close to him remarking that s statue of Paul was unnecessary given the entire stadium bore his name.  

I agree about Mike's attitude.  I believe the man doesn't have a single sentimental bone in his body, nor does he have any empathy for the fan and his experiences.  

Mike's sole mission is to create as much wealth for his family as he can before he dies.  An admirable pursuit for an average man to be sure, but the last priority you want the owner of your favorite NFL team to possess.   

Off topic, but this reminds me of a quote from one of my undergrad finance classes when the professor explained that the greatest victory the Bengals ever had was when Mike Brown defeated the IRS in court in 1997, nullifying $40 million in alleged estate taxes.  
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 01:36 PM)NKYRob Wrote: Off topic, but this reminds me of a quote from one of my undergrad finance classes when the professor explained that the greatest victory the Bengals ever had was when Mike Brown defeated the IRS in court in 1997, nullifying $40 million in alleged estate taxes.  

Yeah, the team's fate hung in the balance for a moment there.  Mikey might have had to sell the team.  So, we could have had a different owner or no Bengals at all.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 01:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we haven't won anything... who should get a statue.. only person I can think of worthy is paul brown himself and he has his name on the stadium
It's true that we don't have the long history, nor the championships the Reds have but there are some people who could receive some recognition. It doesn't have to be a statue, maybe a bust or plaque. Why not some recognition for the two coaches who have lead the team to SB appearances? Everyone loves and respects Sam Wyche. And maybe to a lesser degree Forrest Gregg. We've had at least one HOF worthy QB in Ken Anderson and possibly Boomer. We have had other great players who could be featured in some way other than hanging on posters in the bowels of the stadium.
Reply/Quote