Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Why couldn’t we keep the momentum going after the 2006 season?
(07-26-2023, 07:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote:  
You bandy the term "wallow" about rather freely.  It's not applicable in every case.  Believe it or not, some people may be genuinely curious why things turned out as they did in the past, especially if they weren't around or paying attention at the time- as with the OP.  If this is indeed the best team in franchise history, I suppose all talk of the past is going to be labelled "misery wallowing" henceforth.  So be it.

I see many threads over the course of time that do nothing for me.  I choose not to contribute to them.  

Spot on. I don't look at this as "wallowing". When I saw the thread title, I wasn't like "oh no...". Those Carson teams don't fill me with misery when I think about them. In fact, I have mostly fond memories of them.

Could they have accomplished more? Probably, and that's what the thread is about, but overall, I loved those teams.

I'm a Bengals fan. Not a Joe Burrow and the last couple years fan.

I love talking Bengals history, and even though not all of if has been amazing, I don't care. I still love talking about the Bengals and their history. All of that history.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2023, 11:29 AM)Whatever Wrote: That's not really true.  They went out and got Dexter Jackson and Sam Adams in FA and spent three of their first four picks on D(Jonathan Joseph, Frostee Rucker, and Domata Peko).  Unfortunately, Adams had nothing left and Jackson was solid but unable to live up to the SB MVP hype.  

Really, it was injuries and off-field distractions(we had 8 different players with legal issues that year) combined with a lack of strong leadership that killed us.

It's true.  Dexter Jackson was hardly a Tier 1 or 2 free agent.

Sam Adams was at the end of his career.  We didn't attack free agency with the urgency of a team that was only a couple of pieces away.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on. I don't look at this as "wallowing". When I saw the thread title, I wasn't like "oh no...". Those Carson teams don't fill me with misery when I think about them. In fact, I have mostly fond memories of them.

Could they have accomplished more? Probably, and that's what the thread is about, but overall, I loved those teams.

I'm a Bengals fan. Not a Joe Burrow and the last couple years fan.

I love talking Bengals history, and even though not all of if has been amazing, I don't care. I still love talking about the Bengals and their history. All of that history.

Exactly. There's no issue ever talking about Bengals history. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2023, 09:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It's true.  Dexter Jackson was hardly a Tier 1 or 2 free agent.

Sam Adams was at the end of his career.  We didn't attack free agency with the urgency of a team that was only a couple of pieces away.

Kind of hard to sign a bunch of Tier 1 FA's when you just signed your franchise QB and WR1 to mega deals.  If we're being fair, they did try to address the D by signing two starters in FA and spending 3 of their first 4 draft picks on D.  Not to mention, I doubt Tier 1 FA's would have made much difference the way the team imploded off the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
OK...how much more do you want to say about Tiger Johnson? How about rehashing Odell's suspension again and again? Want to talk about Cory Dillon threw his shoulder pads his last game here? That's always fun. How about we dissect LeBeau's head coaching? That's always a good time.

Geesh!

I'm a fan of this team right now. I was a fan of this team then. I know what happened then. I know what's happening now. I prefer now way more than I want to talk about the past.

But, y'all have fun talking about what was and how bad it was. Hey...how about that 2019 season? Let's talk about that one. That'll be fun!!!!
Reply/Quote