Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did the Bengals fail to address the roster mid season?
Been watching the playoffs.and could not help but notice
a good majority of playoff teams added available talent, THAT HELPED THEM GET TO THE PLAYOFFS.
the Eagles added Golden Tate.
the Cowboys traded for Amari Cooper.
the Rams picked C.J Anderson
the Chiefs added Kelvin Benjamin
the Colts signed Dontrelle Inman.

yet this year the Bengals had issues at WR OT and LB and yet did nothing to upgrade over garbage like Cody Core and Hardy Nickerson.
that what.was frustrating on top of injuries is that Lewis and Tobin
did nothing but sit on their hands.
oh yeah they added Hue Jackson which was a league joke.

Marvins refusal to at least try to upgrade told me he needed
to go. he no longer had a passion to WIN.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:53 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been watching the playoffs.and could not help but notice
a good majority of playoff teams added available talent, THAT HELPED THEM GET TO THE PLAYOFFS.

yet this year the Bengals had issues at WR OT and LB and yet did nothing to upgrade over garbage like Cody Core and Hardy Nickerson.

Oh oh oh oh oh, pick me teacher, I know the answer!

Mike Brown, with a helpful hand from Marvin Lewis

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Because once Dalton went down the honest truth is we had no chance to do anything this year. The acquisitions though, to be fair were pretty marginal additions.

Benjamin has a whole 2 catches for 26 yards. (FA)
Tate had 30 catches for 278 and a TD which was decent but not much over 8 games (3rd)
Inman had 28 for 304 and 3 TD's over 9 games. (FA)

Anderson was probably the best value in the bunch but that came out of necessity after losing two HB's Gurley and his back up Brown and their 3rd string back was day to day. The Cooper trade is still TBD in most eyes. The main reason here is you have to now pay the guy and while his stats in DAL look good (53 for 725 6 TD) most of that production (473 5 TDs) came in a 3 game stretch and he was pretty non existent in most his other games. This also doesn't take into account the Texans trading for Thomas and him getting hurt while also saddling them with a big cap number next year on a WR recovering from an Achilles tear.
Reply/Quote
Like last year the cards all fell into place to get rid of PA. So I would not change a thing about this year since the end result is what we all wanted to take place and get a new head coach.
Reply/Quote
But...but...but...a player added mid season wouldn't have time to learn the system!!!
Reply/Quote
So much for that 10M set aside for injuries huh.... Remember that when Hobspin spins the cap space in a couple months.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I haven't paid that much attention to other teams this year, but I'm guessing the difference is those teams were a player or two off from what the organization felt like they needed. The Bengals (largely due to coaching) were more than just a linebacker away from being solid. I mean, we could've added Tate, sure, but would he have done much that someone here wasn't already doing? I don't think so.
Reply/Quote
this team was actually in playoff contention up until
week 12 13 I think.
my point being this team had obvious issues at positions and didnt even try to fix it while other teams were pro active that were 2 3 games better than the Bengals
Reply/Quote
The list of things Bengals teams of the past have failed to address is a very long one to say the least.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 05:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: So much for that 10M set aside for injuries huh.... Remember that when Hobspin spins the cap space in a couple months.

So that's not really true. When a guy goes on IR their salary still counts against the cap, but then you also must replace them on your roster. Guys on the practice squad get moved up, or guys of the stree  their practice squad salary to an active roster salary which is a big jump. When you consider we IR'd as many guys as we did this year I would guess we did actually use most of that reserve this year compared to years past. 
Reply/Quote
I thought the cap only was hit for the top 40 or so salaries? Practice squad like (vet min, once they are promoted) contracts shouldn't hit the Cap. But I could be wrong.

Reply/Quote
The simple answer is we were more than 1 player away.

We need 2 new LB's, a starting TE, 2 new lineman...AND midseason we would have needed to replace AJ Green.

The Bengals probably viewed it as why spend $2-3 million at that point?

We finished the season something like 2-8. Even if we made the playoffs, we weren't winning a game.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps they paid too much attention to the preseason threads and really thought Auden Tate = Jerry Rice.

But on the real: Not making in season moves has been one of my biggest complaint about the Bengals lately.

And the crazy thing is the few times we've done it it's helped out:

Dhani Jones

Cedric Benson

Roc Johnson

all come to mind.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 05:49 PM)jj22 Wrote: So much for that 10M set aside for injuries huh.... Remember that when Hobspin spins the cap space in a couple months.

Well we weren't gonna get a replacement QB / #1 WR and LBers for 10 M
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 04:53 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Been watching the playoffs.and could not help but notice

The name Mike Brown ring a bell?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This question almost implies that this organization, in the past, has been proactive in addressing roster deficiencies, even on an ad hoc basis.

As though it's some sort of surprise we didn't get out there and make football moves.

If you were expecting that, you've either a) suffered severe memory loss, b) just jumped on this glorious Bengals bandwagon or c) been prone to bouts of delusion.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 06:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought the cap only was hit for the top 40 or so salaries? Practice squad like (vet min, once they are promoted) contracts shouldn't hit the Cap. But I could be wrong.

It's top 51. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 06:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought the cap only was hit for the top 40 or so salaries? Practice squad like (vet min, once they are promoted) contracts shouldn't hit the Cap. But I could be wrong.

Any player on the roster hits the cap....  that's what the cap is.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Any player on the roster hits the cap....  that's what the cap is.

I don' think this is true...

Reply/Quote
Mikey's motto "we go to war with what he have"
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote