Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did we draft a Michael Johnson clone in round 3?
(04-29-2017, 12:10 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Dude is a lanky tweener. Same as MJ.  Ee already have MJ.  Why not take the best center on The board and fix this God awful oline?

ur nuts.  6'5" and almost 260.  He can easily add more weight and his combine numbers were ridiculous 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 12:00 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Why not take the best center on the board?  I don't get it.

Likely they did not see a C who's a big boost.. or...figured a sleeper can be had later.  Ross  CAN make a BIG difference in the pass attack, Mixon......disturbs me but he's got talent and....I think learned a lesson.  Willis was a guy some would have grabbed rd 2, quick pass rusher on the edge who  bears little resemblance to Johnson... is about the size of Maleluga.

With extra picks in todays rounds, I expect SOME  O-line, probably a LB,a DB, maybe a project QB or TE.   I wanted Deep WR speed and a speed rush DE. Got that.  I wish we'd kept Burkhead.. who...should have got more use sooner.  I think Gio and Hill MAY have the seasons we'd envisioned.  Ced and Fisher...were picked high, and.....MAYBE are solid. Billings may be a plus starter.  Minter may do well at LB.    Bengals LOST guys that mattered in FA two years in a row.   It will take an efficient draft to offset that. we Also must maximize  the guys we GET/got.
I was out west when Bill Walsh turned the Niners from SUCKY to Dynasty.   In a draft where the Niners got MANY future stars.. the got Jesse Saupolo LATE .....and when he'd aged... they got Fred Quillan late. They covered the C spot  for over 15 yr with LATE picks.   They were REAL solid C's.    Center need not be speedy.  Execution matters more than raw power.

We will see how the 4-7 picks go.. then....if they are coached up, used. The Bill Walsh Niners really SCORED in the mid-late draft. Part of that was COACHING.  Walsh had a lot of coaches move up to be good head coaches.  That's a factor in how guys drafted rounds 3-4-5-6 end up stars.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:05 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: This is so true.  The only difference is the way the media reacts to it.  If Pittsburgh drafted Mixon the media would have been praising their compassion.  

You got that right.... & props to you for calling  the Ross & Mixon duo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Willis and Johnson are very dissimilar.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:02 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They are definitely high risk/high reward picks. We've typically gotten burned on these type in the past with guys like Thurman/Henry.

This is a different batch though...so we'll see.

I do hope we see the high reward. I hope Ross stays healthy and if he does he could be a critical piece that opens the offense.

If Mixon displays high maturity, top attitude and works hard he could easily displace both Hill and Bernard and be that 3 down back that doesn't come off the field. He can do what Hill does better than Hill and what Bernard does better than Bernard.

(04-29-2017, 10:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals don't really draft that many more risky players than any other team in the league.

And when they do take guys with some red flags they have had some success.

Dillon
Ochocinco
Peter Warrick
AJ Green
Frostee Rucker
Hill
Josh Shaw

AJ Green was not very risky. Nor was Hill or Shaw. Dillion was the risky of those if I remember correctly and he worked out, but some others just faded away.

Ogbuehi, on the injury side, is a very recent risky pick that hasn't worked out. But we didn't spend a top 10 pick on him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Because Michael Johnson isn't looking for this team?
Reply/Quote