Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why didn't the Bengals make Bill Walsh HC and draft Joe Montana??
Huh? Why didn't they?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh?  Why didn't they?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
In a 2006 interview,[7] Walsh claimed that during his tenure with the Bengals, Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh?  Why didn't they?

They obviously didn't draft Montana because Paul Brown was too cheap to hire 378 scouts.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:50 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Huh? Why didn't they?

Because Bill Walsh is dead?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: n a 2006 interview,[7] Walsh claimed that during his tenure with the Bengals, Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Kinda makes you wonder why his son is such a ****head huh?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: n a 2006 interview,[7] Walsh claimed that during his tenure with the Bengals, Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Huh...

Sounds like karma is biting this franchise in the ass. Damn you, karma...

Still doesn’t explain all the steeler success though
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 01:42 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Huh...

Sounds like karma is biting this franchise in the ass. Damn you, karma...

Still doesn’t explain all the steeler success though

That's not karma... That's incompetence.

What's so hard to understand about the Steelers' success. During the Super Bowl era they've had a schedule with 4 built in wins on it. Depending on the season, all they have to do is win 5 maybe 6 other games.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah. You'll have to pardon me when I don't look at Paul Brown with the same lens as most everyone else. He did great things for FOOTBALL, but he didn't do much for the Bengals after he got a team in Cincinnati. Between having a stupid personal issue with Walsh, and having a ***** asshole as a son, he isn't in my top 10 of favorite football people.
Reply/Quote
They would have not drafted Montana, Walsh would have loved Anderson in his system
Reply/Quote
This board has hit a new low.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 04:42 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: This board has hit a new low.

I imagine this to be more Sunset's satirical response to the Why didn't the Bengals draft Lamar Jackson hindsight-is-2020 thread and less about the actual state of the board.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: n a 2006 interview,[7] Walsh claimed that during his tenure with the Bengals, Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league. "All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," Walsh said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Kind of makes you wonder what the whole real story is

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Because Walsh was too "soft." 
Reply/Quote
That's the first of 2 biggest mistakes PB made, letting Walsh go and hiring Bill Johnson.

The second was passing the baton to his son.

Please don't compare father and son, because the father had one of the greatest football minds ever and played to win.

Look at Bill Belichick. PB was the greatest 'mentor' to him. He's said that on several occasions!

He's a PB clone! No nonsense and plays to win!

BTW, I researched this once and found that the head to head between Steelers and Bengals under PB ownership, was only one game advantage for the Steelers!

They beat the Bengals one more time than the Bengals beat them!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Look at Bill Belichick.  PB was the greatest 'mentor' to him.  He's said that on several occasions!

I would have thought it would have been Bill Parcells who was the greatest mentor to him.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Why didn't everyone buy $100 worth of Apple stock in 2002?

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/021316/if-you-had-purchased-100-apple-2002-aapl.asp

Value now would be over $13,000 for the $100 investment.

We all make different decisions for a variety of reasons, in Bengals' case their FO has mad a lot more bad decision with player selection and development based on record.

But, the fact is it is easy to cherry pick successful decisions once those decisions play out. But same people who say why not for the great outcomes rarely go back and find other bad outcomes. There a lot of guys Bengals drafted or head coaches we could have chosen that flamed out even though many fans supported them joining the team.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 02:17 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Yeah. You'll have to pardon me when I don't look at Paul Brown with the same lens as most everyone else. He did great things for FOOTBALL, but he didn't do much for the Bengals after he got a team in Cincinnati. Between having a stupid personal issue with Walsh, and having a ***** asshole as a son, he isn't in my top 10 of favorite football people.

He also traded away a lot of good players just because asked for better salaries. No doubt he was a hard ass in terms of running the team, I think he was obsessed with control after losing it in Cleveland. Control over everything. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 10:01 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: I imagine this to be more Sunset's satirical response to the Why didn't the Bengals draft Lamar Jackson hindsight-is-2020 thread and less about the actual state of the board.  

And, we have a winner!

I can't offer much up, in terms of prizes.  However, if we ever meet up in person, I'll treat you to a couple of beverages of your choice.   ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 12:04 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Please don't compare father and son, because the father had one of the greatest football minds ever and played to win.

"Somebody stop me!"

How about Mike inherited all Paul's worst traits and none of the best...
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote