Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do free agent linebackers come here and wither?
(11-05-2018, 07:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, we do get pressure from the front 4, I've seen it with my own eyes.  The problem, and I hate to keep brining this issue up, is that they are playing zone.  When they played man, there were not nearly as many "instant opens" for QBs to dump the ball off to in a hurry. Hell, and when an opposing QB does get 3+ seconds to study the field, someone is always open, as our secondary doesn't seem to know who's responsibility each receiver is.

Heck, go back to man coverage.  Make the LBs jam the TE, every single play, no more free slants.  Have the CBs press from the line, as well.  Make the receiver actually have to work, in order to beat someone deep.

Yes - It's amazing that a bunch of us see the same thing.

Zone is actually fairly complex especially when teams scheme to overload it and attack weak links which are our LB's. Man is easier to play and harder for a CB to just throw it to a wide open hot read.

The Con of man is you give up more big plays if the defensive line doesn't get home. But, we're giving up too many yards. It's time to switch.

Our CB's seem more suited for man anyways.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 10:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - It's amazing that a bunch of us see the same thing.

Zone is actually fairly complex especially when teams scheme to overload it and attack weak links which are our LB's. Man is easier to play and harder for a CB to just throw it to a wide open hot read.

The Con of man is you give up more big plays if the defensive line doesn't get home. But, we're giving up too many yards. It's time to switch.

Our CB's seem more suited for man anyways.

Pretty much positive that Dre and Dennard both played exclusive man in college, not certain about Jackson.  But, from what I've seen this year, Jackson looks like he's getting beat more than ever, so I'm leaning toward him being a man coverage guy, too.  But, to just ask professionals to all of a sudden change what they have been good at their entire lives, is just not a productive thing to do.

Let the Safeties do the roaming and deciding who to double up on, it comes as more a nature to their position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 07:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're missing the point. We have 3 guys who generate A LOT of pressure - Dunlap, Atkins, and Lawson.

But, when the pressure gets there...the QB's just dump the ball to an open TE or RB or WR because the coverage is so bad.

Yeah no team gets pressure 100% of the time either so there will be plays you can point to and say look they aren't getting pressure. But our front 4 generates a tremendous amount.

The major issue on defense is the LB's are ALL playing poorly. If we had 3 above average LB's...the defense would be so much better.

And if you blitz these guys to generate pressure, things get worse.

No , I see what you are saying. When we do get pressure there is always someone wide open.  Isnt that the point of a 4-3 though? Get pressure with your front four so your LB's and CB's have more people back to prevent easy passes? If we can't do that , shouldnt something change?

I think that the real problem here is that there are creative minds changing things every year and this team is stuck in the 80's.
Reply/Quote
There isn't really a simple solution. Our LB's are slow and not suited for Zone. I don't know that they understand coverage very well.

The loss of Lawson will make getting pressure harder.

Teams can run on us at will also.

The CB's have played mediocre.

I still think man is the best bandaid, but personnel are an issue.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 12:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There isn't really a simple solution. Our LB's are slow and not suited for Zone. I don't know that they understand coverage very well.

The loss of Lawson will make getting pressure harder.

Teams can run on us at will also.

The CB's have played mediocre.

I still think man is the best bandaid, but personnel are an issue.

evans has looked pretty decent.. lack of experience has shown but he seems to be getting better.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 06:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: evans has looked pretty decent.. lack of experience has shown but he seems to be getting better.

He does. Evans and Vigil have both improved this season. They're not great, but they're better atleast.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 09:57 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: You know what's crazy? Caleb Miller made it to the cover of Sports Illustrated!

[Image: 81gaOFAEwYL._SY550_.jpg]
At least he appeared to have body slammed Whines Hard.  Got to give him props for that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It's like Ward is smiling for the picture there.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:21 PM)McC Wrote: At least he appeared to have body slammed Whines Hard.  Got to give him props for that.

I don't know why but every time the name Caleb Miller is mentioned... I envision him struggling to locate the ball in the air with that neck plate. LOL 
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's simple. They don't acquire good ones. They do not want to spend real money at this position for whatever reason.
Reply/Quote
Well Thomas Howard (RIP) didn't wither here; he actually turned his career around. Unfortunately a torn ACL ended his stint with the Bengals.

But it appears we do miss quite often. I think our best pick up is a dude we got off the street Dhani Jones.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well Thomas Howard (RIP) didn't wither here; he actually turned his career around. Unfortunately a torn ACL ended his stint with the Bengals.

But it appears we do miss quite often. I think our best pick up is a dude we got off the street Dhani Jones.

Funny thing is, Dhani's career was considered over at that point. Heard he was washed up.

Yet he wound up playing 4 years for us.  Jerry
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When was the last time the Bengals had a good LB coach? Perhaps that is the problem.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 10:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When was the last time the Bengals had a good LB coach? Perhaps that is the problem.

What? Marvin is the "LB Guru" don't you know?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:11 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: What? Marvin is the "LB Guru" don't you know?

I know you're making a joke but it's unrealistic for anyone to expect that the HC can also invest time into developing a specific position. Now, how much does Marvin give input into which LBs to sign/draft, we'll never know.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know you're making a joke but it's unrealistic for anyone to expect that the HC can also invest time into developing a specific position. Now, how much does Marvin give input into which LBs to sign/draft, we'll never know.

I think we know he has significant influence in that regard.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2018, 02:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny thing is, Dhani's career was considered over at that point. Heard he was washed up.

Yet he wound up playing 4 years for us.  Jerry

He played as best he could.  He had good smarts and instincts, but lacked the size to stuff a run in the hole.  Thus, the Charmin-Soft moniker was born.

Remember all of the excitement when Maualuga was drafted?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember all of the excitement when Maualuga was drafted?

Remember all the horror when they re-signed him for $5M per year when no other team in the league would even pay him $2M?

He did have potential but the lack of instincts...ugg.

Reply/Quote